The Student Room Group

This a scam?

I have just gone for a interview with a company called BOSS IT Group for a Microsoft support technician engineer job role but they require me to complete a Microsoft Certificate which is £395 before I can be offered a job role. The interview took place at 40 Grace church Street in London has anyone else been offered a job like this? They also said that the training fee would be refunded once into employment.

Scroll to see replies

This sounds dodgy asf. Is there a company number you could ring ?
Reply 2
There is a number yes but I haven't bothered to ring it. On a document I had to sign says that they are a division of Learning for You limited
I'd say get as much info on the company as you can before deciding what to do..
I don't know if it's worth the risk?
Normally an employer pays you, not the other way around. If they expect you to go away and come back when you've got the certification then that's one thing, but I'd avoid an arrangement whereby you give them money for training especially if there's no cast iron guarantee of you being employed at the end of it. They should operate like every other company and accept that they should be paying to train their employees.
Reply 5
I have tried to research BOSS IT group but couldn't find any information only their website, I applied for this job on Monsters.co.uk and they currently have 6 jobs available on there. For any more information just ask and I'll try and remember.
Original post by Beast-1
On a document I had to sign says that they are a division of Learning for You limited

There is the answer to your question. They want to sell their training course. Respectable companies do not generally force their employees to pay for their training.
Reply 7
Original post by Beast-1
I have just gone for a interview with a company called BOSS IT Group for a Microsoft support technician engineer job role but they require me to complete a Microsoft Certificate which is £395 before I can be offered a job role. The interview took place at 40 Grace church Street in London has anyone else been offered a job like this? They also said that the training fee would be refunded once into employment.

Leave it.
Reply 8
Thank you all for you help and I have decided not to make the payment although I don't see how they expected a 18 year old who doesn't have a job to pay that kind of money :u:
Original post by Beast-1
Thank you all for you help and I have decided not to make the payment although I don't see how they expected a 18 year old who doesn't have a job to pay that kind of money :u:

They expect you to pay it because they know there are a lot of desperate people out there. They then take your money and that is the last you hear of them. Never pay money for a job. The whole point of a job is that they pay you money in return for your time.

Good luck and thank goodness you had the sense to post here! :smile:
Reply 10
100 % fraud .
do not go there . I lost my money. Actually they are Microsoft training provider and will you push to enroll into course.
I was so desperate to get job and I meant my lesson.
Reply 11
Oh dear, I have an interview with them on Monday for a Trainee IT Desktop Support Technician position, can you tell me what happened?
Original post by Vinimin
Oh dear, I have an interview with them on Monday for a Trainee IT Desktop Support Technician position, can you tell me what happened?

The text at the bottom of their website says the company is Learning For You Ltd. ie. This company: http://www.learningforyou.co.uk/

Website pretty out of date, nothing to identify anyone who works there. No employees or any trace of the company on Linkedin. Clearly offering "training" rather than a definite job. The website has a shopping cart so evidently their intention is for you to spend money with them.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother attending.
Reply 13
I was contacted by the BOSS IT Group like OP but I guess they're still linked to Learning For You and will probably try to get me to pay for training. The interview is at the same location too.

I think you're right, I should probably give it a miss.
Reply 15
I also have an interview tomorrow for the exact same role. I found it dodgy how they rang me using a private number, almost as if they had something to hide. Then i am abruptly offered an interview for the very next day. I was called at 1pm and told that all the information would be emailed to be at 5 pm which i also thought was strange. There is literally nothing i can find online about this company. what should i do?
Original post by Mojokid
I also have an interview tomorrow for the exact same role. I found it dodgy how they rang me using a private number, almost as if they had something to hide. Then i am abruptly offered an interview for the very next day. I was called at 1pm and told that all the information would be emailed to be at 5 pm which i also thought was strange. There is literally nothing i can find online about this company. what should i do?

Follow the wise advice given earlier in the thread, obviously.

Incidentally, many (maybe even most) perfectly respectable company switchboards will not allow the calling number to be transmitted via caller ID.
Reply 17
Original post by Good bloke
Follow the wise advice given earlier in the thread, obviously.

Incidentally, many (maybe even most) perfectly respectable company switchboards will not allow the calling number to be transmitted via caller ID.

yeah i suppose your right, but theres that part of me that still has hope lol, i have been looking for a job for ages now. I am really disapointed that it turned out to be fraudulent. I guess they prey on people in similar situations to mine.
Reply 18
Original post by Beast-1
I have tried to research BOSS IT group but couldn't find any information only their website, I applied for this job on Monsters.co.uk and they currently have 6 jobs available on there. For any more information just ask and I'll try and remember.

What was the interview like? was it technical?
Reply 19
Original post by rajko
100 % fraud .
do not go there . I lost my money. Actually they are Microsoft training provider and will you push to enroll into course.
I was so desperate to get job and I meant my lesson.

How much does it actually cost?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending