The Student Room Group

LAW IN UNI-HELP advice needed ASAP!! solicitor/lawyer PLEASE REPLY.retake year 13?

I got into uni to study Law on an LLB course.should i take a gap year ?

what would your best advice be ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you considered a career-path motivated by something other than parental scorn?
No MC firm will even look at your application with those A levels.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
No MC firm will even look at your application with those A levels.

Sad but true. I would advice the OP to redo their a-levels if they want any chance of being employed or even looked at by a top commercial law firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by mamalolayalin

2.i can take up my place at the mid range uni and get a 2:1 ...

Or you can work hard and do your best to get a First?
Your GCSEs and A-Levels certainly seem to indicate that, without trying to sound harsh, you don't have the necessary intellect to work for a MC firm. Or that's how it will appear to them anyway.

Of course grades are only one part of your application but with A-Levels lower than AAB you will usually be automatically rejected. This is even more likely considering your GCSEs are consistent with your poor performance at A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Firstly, at least you know what you want.

Secondly, I would seriously advise that you retake your A-Levels. Do you have any mitigating circumstances? You can always contact the Uni that has made you the offer to say that you would like to defer and (if necessary) re-apply to them next year.

Finally, yes it is possible to go from CCD to AAA - especially at a private college where they'll train you to do just that (exam drills etc). However, it wont be easy in one year and you really (really!) have to maintain your motivation and drive.

I wish you all the best regardless of which path you take.
I am literally in exactly the same situation same grades and everything! Apart from being a bit younger and the GCSE bit. I was just thinking if you are looking at MC firms then you'll most likely need to get into a high up RG uni can you do that if you retake? Most of the don't like it do they?
Reply 8
Original post by EvaHarington
I am literally in exactly the same situation same grades and everything! Apart from being a bit younger and the GCSE bit. I was just thinking if you are looking at MC firms then you'll most likely need to get into a high up RG uni can you do that if you retake? Most of the don't like it do they?

It's a bit of an unfortunate urban myth that law firms only like RG unis. RGs are an advantage in that they might have better careers services, extra curriculars and links to such firms which in turn leads to an more well rounded applicant.

However, there is no explicit preference for a RG person. Someone from a non-RG uni can get all of the above through diversity initiatives and being proactive - so there's everything to play for even if you don't go to a RG uni really!

Posted from TSR Mobile
well, a r-sit is better than no re-sit, as it will show that you can apply yourself (if you get better grades of course).

You will have to disclose your re-sits law apps generally ask you to.

You do have the option, of course, of not going to a MC law firm - there are many many ambitious, successful high profile law firms doing great work who are not MC!

I think, resit as whatever you do, better A levels will help you - and just have a think about what you want to do - mostly, law firms want good A level grades, but it is not the be all and end all, but you do have to demonstrate commitment and ability and dedication in your app if you have ropey A level results (indeed, you have to anyway, regardless of results).

You might aim for a TC if you intend to work very hard and show lots of dedication in your path towards a TC - but I have to say I think I would leave off the MC firms and open up your horizons a bit.

Are you sure law is for you?

New young lawyers often have to work very very hard (I gather) yes it is demanding intellectually - hence the need for good A levels - but good A level results also demonstrate dedication and ability to work hard and get results (at a young age) - so you would have to show that you can do this by way of future results.

I always say this, but I do not have good A level results and I have a TC - I am very happy with it as it is right for me - it is not at a MC firm though (not right for me) and I have significant work experience in other industries - this helps to demonstrate key skills that law firms want

Original post by mamalolayalin
I got into a mid range uni to study Law with business m100.. an LLB course
i am conflicted as i got
C- history
C- english lang & lit
D - Psychology
I have three options
1. retake year 13 i can realistically push my c to an A as the i know what i did wrong but might struggle with anything higher than a B in psy . As i will retake year 13 in a private college
2.i can take up my place at the mid range uni and get a 2:1 ...but i feel my alevels will disadvantage me in future.
3. i can try my best in firsts year then transfer to a better uni/russell group ,but again i feel my alevels will disadvantage me during this process
so my question is
what would you best advice i do
also i want to be a solicitor in a commercial/MC firm , so i don't think i would be able to get a vac scheme or a training contract because of my alevel .

For some background information
I am already 19 as i did high school in a different country .
i don't mind entering uni a year later 20
some more background information
my Igcse results weren't so grade as i acheived /
1A 2B 2C 2E

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending