The Student Room Group

Post-GDL, no Training Contract - next step?

I am aiming to secure a training contract with a City law firm. I was unsuccessful this summer (I had a few interviews, including a vacation scheme at a top 10 global law firm). I know where I went wrong (competency interviews), and believe that I can improve on this and be successful next year.

I am now deciding whether I should go ahead with an unfunded LPC, or to take a year-out and hopefully get a position as a paralegal at a law firm. If I did the LPC next year, I would do it outside of London because it's cheaper.

I would love some advice:

1) How hard is it to secure a paralegal job as a non-law graduate with the GDL but no LPC?

2) What do large City law firms think of Training Contract applicants who are doing the LPC/have done the LPC? I ask this because some law firms offer tailored LPCs for future trainees.

3) What do London law firms make of an applicant who is doing the LPC outside of London? Would firms care?

I will be extremely grateful for any advice!
It sounds like you are applying for the whole TC thing later than many; how come you did not apply earlier ie when an UG?

This is quite a tricky one to answer - my instinct is to say, hang on and have another go at the TC round next year - if you have had several bites, then you are doing well. Are you sure it was competency questions that let you down?

You sound as though money is no object re the LPC - if you are aiming for a city firm, how will the LPC advantage you? If you get a TC, the will pay for the LPC with the electives they choose at the provider they choose. Many obv tailor the LPC - also, you will do the LPC in the cohort intake of trainees - I suspect this is quite important to many firms.

I also know that for some firms - although I don't know about top 10 global firms - they dont seem to care that you have an LPC ie they will still let you advance through the recruitment process - the LPC is not a bar to getting at TC there

The LPC will make it a lot easier for you to get work as a paralegal. In my exp most jobs now seem to demand it. If you have the LPC, you can also apply to the TC where an LPC qualification is stipulated before being considered for the TC - although these TC are not at top ten global law firms I guess. These are firms who recruit a bit more 'as and when they need trainees' - or only work a few months in advance

In my experience, if you are applying to a firm that isn't going to fund your LPC and presumably is negotiable on the electives you do (many firms say, just do the electives you want) - then they won't care where you do the LPC - I dont think it matters that it is outside of London. You just want to aim for good grades.

Oh yes, that is the other thing; if you get the LPC on your own and fund it, then you have to make sure you get very good grades on it!

Original post by Denning_Protege
I am aiming to secure a training contract with a City law firm. I was unsuccessful this summer (I had a few interviews, including a vacation scheme at a top 10 global law firm). I know where I went wrong (competency interviews), and believe that I can improve on this and be successful next year.

I am now deciding whether I should go ahead with an unfunded LPC, or to take a year-out and hopefully get a position as a paralegal at a law firm. If I did the LPC next year, I would do it outside of London because it's cheaper.

I would love some advice:

1) How hard is it to secure a paralegal job as a non-law graduate with the GDL but no LPC?

2) What do large City law firms think of Training Contract applicants who are doing the LPC/have done the LPC? I ask this because some law firms offer tailored LPCs for future trainees.

3) What do London law firms make of an applicant who is doing the LPC outside of London? Would firms care?

I will be extremely grateful for any advice!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Personally I'd look to get some legal work experience under your belt. You, presumably, have nothing to show except your vac scheme that you have any idea what it is like to work in a law firm, no matter its size. A lot of the big firms recruit heavily in paralegal positions nowadays so you should try for those and then look to make applications for 2018. I think you are selling yourself in a much better light by saying that you a) have shown motivation by doing the GDL & vac scheme, and b) you know what it's like to work in a commercial law firm on a day-to-day basis.

Doing the LPC doesn't add anything to your profile in my opinion.
Original post by TCchaser

It does, it reduces the risk element for a law firm. And in these risk adverse times, that is key. I got my TC post-LPC, and with the marks I got on it, I received way more interview invites than I did post-GDL (i.e. from 0 from 10 applications to 7 from 15 applications).
Reply 4
Original post by Floyd Pinkerton
It does, it reduces the risk element for a law firm. And in these risk adverse times, that is key. I got my TC post-LPC, and with the marks I got on it, I received way more interview invites than I did post-GDL (i.e. from 0 from 10 applications to 7 from 15 applications).

The risk of what? Failing the LPC?
Thanks so much for your reply!

I didn't decide I wanted to pursue a legal career until after university, so I started applying about 6 months before starting the GDL.

I received detailed feedback from the vacation scheme and it was definitely the competency interview that let me down. It's probably an old excuse, but I felt unlucky with my interviewers. But I was also definitely to blame!

In terms of doing the LPC next year, I was thinking of doing it in Bristol. But I do want to ideally end up at a London firm. Do you think that it would be a bad choice to do it in Bristol then? I can see why it would be harder to do it in Bristol - further away from London, and more tricky to visit law firms.

Thanks for that point about having to work hard on the LPC and get good grades… that might add an element of pressure!

Original post by happyinthehaze
It sounds like you are applying for the whole TC thing later than many; how come you did not apply earlier ie when an UG?

This is quite a tricky one to answer - my instinct is to say, hang on and have another go at the TC round next year - if you have had several bites, then you are doing well. Are you sure it was competency questions that let you down?

You sound as though money is no object re the LPC - if you are aiming for a city firm, how will the LPC advantage you? If you get a TC, the will pay for the LPC with the electives they choose at the provider they choose. Many obv tailor the LPC - also, you will do the LPC in the cohort intake of trainees - I suspect this is quite important to many firms.

I also know that for some firms - although I don't know about top 10 global firms - they dont seem to care that you have an LPC ie they will still let you advance through the recruitment process - the LPC is not a bar to getting at TC there

The LPC will make it a lot easier for you to get work as a paralegal. In my exp most jobs now seem to demand it. If you have the LPC, you can also apply to the TC where an LPC qualification is stipulated before being considered for the TC - although these TC are not at top ten global law firms I guess. These are firms who recruit a bit more 'as and when they need trainees' - or only work a few months in advance

In my experience, if you are applying to a firm that isn't going to fund your LPC and presumably is negotiable on the electives you do (many firms say, just do the electives you want) - then they won't care where you do the LPC - I dont think it matters that it is outside of London. You just want to aim for good grades.

Oh yes, that is the other thing; if you get the LPC on your own and fund it, then you have to make sure you get very good grades on it!
Thanks for your message.

I probably do need more legal work experience. I worked in an energy firm for a year after university so gained some commercial insight. I have done vacation schemes at a regional and private wealth firm in London, and a mini-pupillage with a criminal set. But I haven't done any long placements with firms (longer than 2 weeks).

Personally I'd look to get some legal work experience under your belt. You, presumably, have nothing to show except your vac scheme that you have any idea what it is like to work in a law firm, no matter its size. A lot of the big firms recruit heavily in paralegal positions nowadays so you should try for those and then look to make applications for 2018. I think you are selling yourself in a much better light by saying that you a) have shown motivation by doing the GDL & vac scheme, and b) you know what it's like to work in a commercial law firm on a day-to-day basis.

The risk of what? Failing the LPC?

Uh uh.
Reply 8
Original post by Floyd Pinkerton
Uh uh.

Maybe you're right, but personally, I don't really think firms would be too concerned about people failing the LPC. They all require a pretty decent academic background to even be in the mix for an offer, some firms requiring an absolutely stellar record. I would imagine that they would be reasonably confident that their applicants could pass the LPC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending