The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

I have been allocated a standard study room in Lewis Court and I'm looking to swap with anyone with an ensuite room on campus.
I know you can join swap list from Sep but I'm keen to get things moving before hand.

Anyone that wants to swap due to cost etc?

Contact me ASAP

Thanks
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by DindaJelita95
I went through clearing for Economics and Management and still haven't heard back from Sussex housing services all now. Anyone else on the same boat and still not got an accommodation? Theres actually loads of property for cheap still available, only thing is it needs the whole group from at least 4-6 to book the accommodation together... worst comes to worst that I still don't hear back from the housing services within 5 days. Would anyone be interested in sharing with me if they still also haven't got accomodation?

hey, I applied through clearing for economics and management too! no housing as of yet, so i wont mind sharing if we can get a few more.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you haven't already you should join the Facebook pages for your accommodation:
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentialservices/students/residencefacebookgroups
Reply 1423
Hey I went through clearing but wasn't offered university accommodation and I'm now looking for house/flat share. Does anyone have any room left or do you know any good websites for this?
Reply 1424
Original post by Jayparis1
I have been allocated a standard study room in Lewis Court and I'm looking to swap with anyone with an ensuite room on campus.
I know you can join swap list from Sep but I'm keen to get things moving before hand.

Anyone that wants to swap due to cost etc?

Contact me ASAP

Thanks

I don't have an en suite but my bathroom basically connects to my room! I'm in brighthelm it's really modern and I only share with 1 other person as Im top floor in my house

Hey

I've got an offer to do anthropology and for me it's between East Slope and Swanborough.

I know they are two extremes haha I really like the idea of the party atmosphere at East Slope but it worries me that it'll be just a bit too grotty as I've heard rumours that mould grows in the showers etc.

Swanborough is in a good location for my buildings and it looks really nice but I'm worried because its en-suite it'll be a little too quiet and also I've heard it is just full of snobby people. I'm fairly liberal but I do come from a rather privileged background therefore I'm used to snobby people haha but I'd rather be with more forward thinking people. ( heard en-suite buildings tend to be less social for some reason.)

Sorry if these stereotypes are not applied to the accommodation, its just what I've heard.

Reply 1426
Hi, I'm just finishing my 3rd year at Sussex, definitely loved every moment here! Great uni!

About accommodation, I was in LC phase 1, bock 1, so shared bathrooms between 6, quite sociable and a great place to have parties because it's right in the middle of the other halls. I've loved it and would defo recommend it, but I've been lucky to have great flatmates and neighbours, how social a place is can change every year.

Northfield and Swanborough are pretty much the same inside, it's just SB is much closer to the middle of campus and only has three blocks, so it's smaller. They are both lovely but tbh it's sooo much more expensive, still I would rather be in Lewes Court than there. If I had to pick though it would be Northfield because it's bigger and much more goes on there. Apparently not much ever happens in SB because it's pretty small, even though it's pretty central. (also a quick side note, EVERYONE can see into your living space and bedrooms in SB, if you're not careful due to the big windows etc, not very private there...I've seen naked people while in a seminar in the next building!!)

The same goes for Stamner court, in terms of atmosphere, it's just over the road from campus but people always go to other places for parties etc. It's nice and has en-suites but people only go there if they live there, not really the place for a good party.

Brighthelm is the most oversubscribed place, for my first year, there were 8 applicants for every bedroom! It's very nice there, the neighbours are close and a nice atmosphere, that was my second choice and would happily lived there! Always something going on! Plus washing machines which is a big thing when you leave home!

I wouldn't recommend Park village! It is liveable in but it's not amazingly nice, and the main thing is there is a small kitchen but no kitchen table or other living or social space apart from the landing, so people either eat alone in their rooms or sit on the floor in the landing bit, (or unless they have nicked a small table from somewhere else at uni). There is a social center at the bottom and launderette etc.

Park houses are ok, great for parties because there are no doors into each stairway/ corridor, so that is both good and bad! Really sociable with lots of people, but not very private as anyone could go into your kitchen if they get in the building or generally clean as there are so many people! You can only apply to Park houses, and get either Kent House, York house, Lancaster House or Norwich House, you can't pick which one.

East slope is soooo much fun, parties all the time and East slope bar is right at the bottom, but personally I could never live there because it's grim! The people who do live there like it though!

Hope this helps you decide! Again I would definitely recommend Lewes Court phase 1 or Brighthelm, either is really good! Tbh you would be happy wherever you go, just make the most of it! The year goes so fast. One more thing, if you are really unhappy there is a swap list which usually works pretty quickly because a lot of people want to move when they first arrive,so you can sign up for that if you really hate it!
I looking to make a group for house-hunting. Anyone want to join in?
Hello! I have made Sussex my firm choice, but now I am in a real pickle: choosing accommodation seems to be even harder than choosing the university itself :biggrin:! So I wanted to see what everyone else is applying for, as I couldn't find the info needed on the uni website (there's not enough info about bathrooms and some specific flats/rooms that I am interested in). I am considering a 2 bedroom flat in Park Village, but there is literally nothing on it! I don't know how many people I will be sharing it with (I am presuming only 1 - I am in one bedroom and someone else is in the other), but that's just an assumption with no evidence from anywhere! I am also looking at Park Houses and Lewes Court and desperately searching for reviews. Could someone please give me some advice? I don't want to end up somewhere where reviews said there's mold all over the room and cockroaches. I am attaching a very simplified guideline I have created for myself on choosing the room alone. I doubt the version where I've included my "potential groceries shopping per week" cost will interest anyone. Please help me to choose a good accommodation! I will be very greatful!
Original post by Maria_G
Hello! I have made Sussex my firm choice, but now I am in a real pickle: choosing accommodation seems to be even harder than choosing the university itself :biggrin:! So I wanted to see what everyone else is applying for, as I couldn't find the info needed on the uni website (there's not enough info about bathrooms and some specific flats/rooms that I am interested in). I am considering a 2 bedroom flat in Park Village, but there is literally nothing on it! I don't know how many people I will be sharing it with (I am presuming only 1 - I am in one bedroom and someone else is in the other), but that's just an assumption with no evidence from anywhere! I am also looking at Park Houses and Lewes Court and desperately searching for reviews. Could someone please give me some advice? I don't want to end up somewhere where reviews said there's mold all over the room and cockroaches. I am attaching a very simplified guideline I have created for myself on choosing the room alone. I doubt the version where I've included my "potential groceries shopping per week" cost will interest anyone. Please help me to choose a good accommodation! I will be very greatful!

I have tweaked your file as the formula for the amount left wasn't picking up the student loan (ÂŁ8200)

With regard to accomodation however, do you want ensuite (Stanmer.... as you haven't added the other options such as Lewes Court Phase 2, Northfield and Swanboro)
They are allocated by an arcane and pot luck basis I think frankly so I'd figure which you would be happy with and then put them in some kind of order.
Stanmer is on its own at the South of the campus, the others are all fairly central
Original post by Colinj451
I have tweaked your file as the formula for the amount left wasn't picking up the student loan (ÂŁ8200)

With regard to accomodation however, do you want ensuite (Stanmer.... as you haven't added the other options such as Lewes Court Phase 2, Northfield and Swanboro)
They are allocated by an arcane and pot luck basis I think frankly so I'd figure which you would be happy with and then put them in some kind of order.
Stanmer is on its own at the South of the campus, the others are all fairly central

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I know about the en-suite options, but I didn't put them into the document because I wasn't considering them as an option. They are all more expensive and I've put up with the thought of just having to deal with sharing a bathroom. I am, however, looking to apply for a bursary once I find out how, so once that's done, maybe I'll be able to go for an en-suite option or at least a shared option but with the least people. My main concern, out of the ones I included in the document, is which one is actually good enough to live in. Lewes Court phase 1 had some alright reviews and so did Park Houses, so I think they would be my top 2 choices, it's just that people haven't put enough detail in some reviews on websites and they are all so varied, it's really tough to make your mind up! Have you got any preferences yourself? If so, what did you use as a tool for picking the best one?

Thank you, hope it goes well! :smile:
Original post by Maria_G
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I know about the en-suite options, but I didn't put them into the document because I wasn't considering them as an option. They are all more expensive and I've put up with the thought of just having to deal with sharing a bathroom. I am, however, looking to apply for a bursary once I find out how, so once that's done, maybe I'll be able to go for an en-suite option or at least a shared option but with the least people. My main concern, out of the ones I included in the document, is which one is actually good enough to live in. Lewes Court phase 1 had some alright reviews and so did Park Houses, so I think they would be my top 2 choices, it's just that people haven't put enough detail in some reviews on websites and they are all so varied, it's really tough to make your mind up! Have you got any preferences yourself? If so, what did you use as a tool for picking the best one?

Thank you, hope it goes well! :smile:

We went to both an open day and application day, so we looked at a number of blocks.
Tbh the accommodation was the biggest concern we had at Sussex and was. In stark contrast to somewhere like Southampton where the bulk of the blocks were satisfactory.
So much like you we are looking at Lewes, Park Houses, Brighthelm, and then considering price vs suitability.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/education/14330592.University_of_Sussex_plans_to_accommodate_thousands_more_students_unveiled/

Apologies if people have already seen this but East Slope is not long for this world
Hi! Just wondered if anyone could help!? Is it true that if I put Sussex as my firm that my first choice accommodation is guaranteed? Thanks!
I applied for Brighthelm. What is the probability that I'll get my first choice? When i visited It was really popular
Original post by NutellaLuv
I applied for Brighthelm. What is the probability that I'll get my first choice? When i visited It was really popular

Tbh unless you have an unconditional offer then very unlikely sorry to say
As you say these are very popular and quite a small block
Tbh unless you have an unconditional offer then very unlikely sorry to say
As you say these are very popular and quite a small block

oh well, I did pick Park Houses at my second, which i really liked as well :smile:
When I was there they did tell me that most people get their first choice and that it's rare that they ever need to look at the second or third.
But.....Just wanted to ask on here just in case, thanks
Original post by NutellaLuv
oh well, I did pick Park Houses at my second, which i really liked as well :smile:
When I was there they did tell me that most people get their first choice and that it's rare that they ever need to look at the second or third.
But.....Just wanted to ask on here just in case, thanks

Look back on this thread, some have gone down to their fifth.
I think if you go for East Slope, Park Village or Park Houses then you will get them.
Its the mid price ones that are most popular and Postgrads, unconditional and IB students that get their housing sorted before A-Level results come out
Look back on this thread, some have gone down to their fifth.
I think if you go for East Slope, Park Village or Park Houses then you will get them.
Its the mid price ones that are most popular and Postgrads, unconditional and IB students that get their housing sorted before A-Level results come out

Oh well I've taken this into consideration. I've already applied, and I was told it was highly unlikely that I wouldn't get my first....buttttttt i'll be happy with Park Houses.
Plus my circumstances are a tad different so I'm sure I'll be alright.
Plus I know house swapping isn't too much hassle :smile:

East slope I didn't like, Park village looked like a slum, it was smelly and i'd hate to live in one of those. If i get either I'll cry