The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wade-
I'm not that concerned about that, look at how many players have come in at a young age and had good game and then a few years later they're a distant memory

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh aye, I agree. It's the same thing as Kane, though. Talk of him being rejected by Arsenal, and it's amazing to think some of these talents slip through the net and probably don't get caught by another top club.

There's probably some bloke working in Carphone Warehouse somewhere who'd have done bits in the PL if given a chance.
Original post by Fizzel
Didn't think Tottenham issues yesterday were the forwards tbh. Bentelab had a really poor game and was so obviously key that he was has heavily marked too, Poch played Dier next to him who is a miserable excuse for a midfielder, it such a one sided pairing it was pretty easy for United to make it worse. Pretty hard to play well at all like that when the midfield pairing is so poor.

He's been making such terrible pairings the entirety of last season, Surely just playing Dembele and Bentaleb woulda been just fine.
We are in drastic need of a striker. Never felt so pessimistic at the beginning of a new season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
He's been making such terrible pairings the entirety of last season, Surely just playing Dembele and Bentaleb woulda been just fine.
Its quite important actually, he's got such an obsession with playing a pressing game, its vital for both their attack and defence. When it was working at the start they were doing pretty well, but once Bentaleb started going full retard and we started targeting Dier it fell apart. Quite surprised we haven't seen a midfield addition for Spurs. Mason was okay last season after failing to get Schneiderlin, but I his deficiencies were clear, as are Dier's.
Original post by Fizzel
Its quite important actually, he's got such an obsession with playing a pressing game, its vital for both their attack and defence. When it was working at the start they were doing pretty well, but once Bentaleb started going full retard and we started targeting Dier it fell apart. Quite surprised we haven't seen a midfield addition for Spurs. Mason was okay last season after failing to get Schneiderlin, but I his deficiencies were clear, as are Dier's.

That's true, but surely Dembele can play a decent enough pressing game with Bentaleb, while he actually has attacking qualities unlike Dier or Mason.

Midfielder definitely needed though.
Not as much as a striker, in my opinion.

If Pochetinno doesn't unburden Kane's load, then they will finish below Southampton, Swansea et al. They have nothing in midfield, granted, but they are still dangerous in wide areas - Townsend, Chadli, Eriksen's dead ball delivery etc. - and they can't hope to finish in the top five if they only have Kane, who showed glimpses of promise at Old Trafford this weekend but will certainly not reach the dizzy heights of last campaign.
Funny how we need a DM after it was one of our main strong areas at the start of last season. I say 'strong', I was optimistic about Stambouli.

I do have a few worries about this season. We've done well to hold onto Lloris (or have we?) and we've unloaded a bit of dead wood. The age old 'quality striker' issue remains. We've needed one extra quality striker ever since Berbatov left. That was seven years ago. Pav rarely made it, Crouch was alright, Adebayor showed decent spells, Bale saved our bacon late on three seasons ago, now Kane's our man, but we've always had the 'one missing' feeling. Almost as if the number 9 is a poison chalice. It's certainly poisoned the value of Soldado as a player, especially considering how good he was at Valencia (I saw him and Mata play together!) And I'm not convinced Levy is going to do anything about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Harry Kane comes off twenty minutes into the second-half, which pretty much ruined your chances of putting the game to bed. You took your foot off the gas, but Stoke did well and responded exceptionally. It's two points dropped for you, rather than a point gained.

Interesting point on Kane, too. Pochetinno said that "he was just tired", which is madness given that it's the second game of the season. It only highlights your problems in the final third, though. Maybe Pochetinno brought him off as a point to the owners. You desperately need another striker.
Soldado sold now for 7mil.

So only lost 19mil in 2 years. A very un-Levy like transfer?
£18m for Berahino is absurd, but Bent went for the same tbf.
Original post by Mackay
£18m for Berahino is absurd, but Bent went for the same tbf.

Bents gone for 10m, 18m and 24m. Ridiculous really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Goaldado scores on his debut for the yellow submarines.

Also find it funny the OP is @jermaindefoe & over 4.5 years later he still hasn't added to the OP :biggrin:
There's conflicting reports online, has Eriksen injured his knee or his foot? Trying to find out if it's something which might keep him out for weeks (got him on fantasy football).
Don't worry about Soldado scoring. It was the same story with us and Aspas, who turned into a bit of a poacher with an eye for goal once we shipped him back to La Liga.
Reply 4614
La Liga is just a fraud league tbh.
WBA reject a bid of £22m for Berahino. Who do they think he is?
Original post by Mackay
WBA reject a bid of £22m for Berahino. Who do they think he is?

I think they just know that Spurs are desperate. Really not many strikers around and even fewer who will sign for Spurs.
Original post by Mackay
Don't worry about Soldado scoring. It was the same story with us and Aspas, who turned into a bit of a poacher with an eye for goal once we shipped him back to La Liga.

That's bull**** wrt Aspas. He scored 3 goals in the league and europa combined.

Before hand he was a decent goalscorer though.
Original post by jam277
That's bull**** wrt Aspas. He scored 3 goals in the league and europa combined.

Before hand he was a decent goalscorer though.

Yeah, but he got two back-to-back hat-tricks in the Copa del Rey.
I like Son. He's a top player. Wouldn't mind seeing him in England.

Quick Reply

Latest