The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Queens University (QUB) freshers 2015 advice!!

Scroll to see replies

Yes but the childcare payments only cover sept and October and then pod again in January. And April.

So technically I need to pay childminder each month from my finance but they only pay in arrears

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 22
I can't see the image I'm afraid, you see I'm paid in September 28th and this payment I use to cover September, October, November and December. Then in January I use it too pay January, feb and March. Aprils payment covers April May and June and if I need a retainer it will be paid in Aprils payment to cover July and August.

They pay extra in September because of the longer period.

I'm not sure, if your way is working different. I will get a lump sum which consists of lone parent allowance, grant, loan and special support grant, along with childcare for this quarter. Looks like loads when it goes in but it's really not, if I recall last year I got £7000 paid into my account but about £4500 was childcare.

Is yours working differently?
They told me the following

Childcare payment from 1st Sept -25th October =payment date 28th Sept

26th oct -24th Jan = payment date 11Jan

25 Jan -31 August =payment date 11th

Posted from TSR Mobile
So from October to January there is no payment until 11th Jan

Then jan-August paid in April.so the childminder would be waiting from Jan -April for money.

If I had to use my student finance for childminder I wouldn't be able to pay mortgage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why they have said this 😳 have you logged on to student finance and checked you payment schedule? My schedule shows September as being a substantial payment, Jan being a couple of thousand less, then April substantial again.

I'd query it with student finance on the telephone, but also query it with the board covering your area, NEELB, WELB etc. I know the NEELB pay in 3 instalments and usually cover the costs for each term 1-2-3 and after Term 3 (included in term 3)
WELB also usually accommodate parents and ensure they are capable of making payment.

Do you work, or have a partner? This too may be the reason why.
Reply 26
image.jpg

This is from student finance, three instalments for childcare. However, you must submit the CG form Nov 5 for 1st sept to 26th October and then repeatedly until the end of term. Maybe this is what they meant.

Here is the link to the PDF if the image doesn't render correctly.

http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/NPIPG001/NPIPS001/NPIPS129/SFNI_CHILDCARE%20BOOK_1415_V6_DC.PDF

Hope this helps 😊
Thanks. Yes I rang them and because I haven't sent childminder form in yet they can't advise if costs.

Do u know anything about the student experience bursary.

Is that automatic for qualifying students or do u apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry about all the questions btw lol. Your the only other mature single parent that I have talked too at queens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
The bursary is £100 now, I know this used to be more. And is added to your student card, which is good for second semester books, due to timing of loading, or coffee etc in SU and print credits in library. I've still got £22 left on mine lol.

And honestly don't worry about the questions. I only wish someone had of answered mine. You already feel out of depth surrounded by young people even when your not much older, and then not having an avenue of advice for the most random or serious questions makes the transition harder.

So feel free to ask away x
Reply 30
Ps. You also can get (if eligible) £380 bursary paid in February. Just checked to verify but if this is the case I'm unsure if the student experience bursary will be paid this year. It's not very clear. Simply stating if study commences 14/15 year £500 bursary feb and £100 by October for experience bursary. However, for those commencing 15/16 £380 but nothing in the bursary. (Maybe worth asking student guidance centre though) but eligibility is income based up to £19000 and is automatically allocated based on student finance.
Your a great help. Hope your studies go well this year. Perhaps may see u at the mature students event

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I'll have to check which date it is being held, some events are for freshers (or in mature students cases - refreshers lol)

Hoping studies go better this year, nobody but a parent would understand the trials and tribulations we go through to enable us to study. If only the younger ones had a clue. Think we deserve extra credit eh.

Good luck with your studies :-) x
Hey. Just to check. I was told Queens closes early on Wednesdays. Is this true for all classes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lilyshea
Hey. Just to check. I was told Queens closes early on Wednesdays. Is this true for all classes

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Most universities try to prevent classes on a Wednesday to make way for extra curricular activities etc. However, this all depends on the demands of the course. I'm in until 5pm some days on a Wednesday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lilyshea

Posted from TSR Mobile

I looked about for last year's biological sciences timetable and found that on Wednesday the last class runs until 1pm. Unfortunately on Tuesday and Thursday ours can run until 6pm :frown:. I'd have a look about for last years timetable and see what you find. I'm sure it won't change that much for this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending