The Student Room Group

Is there any point in me applying to medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BestWingmanEver
Of course it's possible, I've known people in a worse position than you and still get in! How long have you been practicing the UKCAT for?

Well i ve been practising for three weeks but I don't practice everyday. I think I must have done about 12-15 hours now. I know that not a lot. Ill be doing more.
No xox
Original post by HollyB_C
No xox

You re not making very clear what you're saying no to?
Reply 43
Original post by Xoxoxo1234567
For my AS result I got AAB and an E in my fourth subject. I know that some unis don't look at your fourth subject. Also, I had 3A*s, 4As, 3Bs and 1C in my GCSEs.
Also I have done loads of stuff outside school like volunteering in the local hospital. I was also a dining companion and I am a cadet at St.Johns ambulance. I have volunteered in charity shops etc.
would it be worthwhile for me to apply?
If anyone's wondering, I have the A in psychology and biology. B in chemistry and E in maths.
I haven't done my ukcats yet. I'm going to do it on the 1st of September.

At this stage, it is really a bit soon to say. Your AS levels alone will not stop you getting into Medicine. My son got ABBD at AS and got 4 interviews and 3 offers, you just need to apply to your strengths, so your GCSE and particularly UKCAT and possibly BMAT results are very important. You will need to be predicted 3 As at A2, but this should not be a problem with aab at AS. You then need to decide whether to apply to Unis that do not care about your 4th AS or resit to bring the grade up (though of those that care, most want at least b). There is no need to wait until after your A2 results if the rest of your application is acceptable as long as you are predicted at least AAA and apply to your strengths (see the wiki on this).
Graduate entry medicine should be a last resort as it is hugely competitive and very expensive. Studying abroad should also be something you consider if/when other options are exhausted due to the expense. Good luck
Reply 44
Original post by iJAKE
Okay ty:smile: do you know which units really like the ukcat and which don't?

I'll post some of the info I've put up before:

UKCAT "heavy" Med Schools are Newcastle/Durham (you can apply to both and they both purely rank on UKCAT if you meet their minimum requirements), Southampton, Exeter, Plymouth and Kings.
Aberdeen and Dundee use UKCAT fairly heavily (40%) with some academic criteria-predicted/achieved A2s for Aberdeen, check for Dundee.
Manchester rank on UKCAT then review PS.
Leicester, HYMS, UEA (I think, may have changed this year), SGUL, Queens Belfast and Nottingham have a scoring system involving GCSEs/ASs and UKCAT (publish details on their websites) and then Nottingham look at the PS of those that have scored highly enough to decide who to interview.
Barts uses UCAS score with UKCAT, so favours extra A levels, music exams etc.
Birmingham and Cardiff like lots of A* GCSEs and a good PS (though believe Birmingham may be using UKCAT too now).
Bristol is, I think, the only Uni not using an admission exam so like an amazing PS.
Liverpool is also PS heavy and scores As at GCSE the same as A* (not sure how they are going to use UKCAT as this is their first year).
Edinburgh is fairly holistic, but has a ridiculously complicated scoring system that you can find if you Google it.
St Andrews throws a bit of everything into the mix in its assessment but does use the UKCAT.
Glasgow now say they view all parts of an application equally, with very little specifics, so should be pretty holistic.
I think Leeds and BSMS are fairly holistic, but I know very little about BMAT Med Schools (so ditto for UCL and Imperial).
Keele and Lancaster used to be purely PS heavy but believe they have both changed admission criteria this year and are using the UKCAT.
I have ignored Oxbridge, though Oxford like a lot of A* GCSE and high BMAT and Cambridge like high UMS at AS level and high BMAT.

Hope that helps, but having said the above, my research was done for UG admission last year, so does not apply to postgrads and may be out of date. There is no real substitute for trawling through all the med schools websites/pages on here, etc and drawing up a spreadsheet rating your chances of gaining an interview at each one, given your stats. Tedious but informative and then it usually becomes clear where you will stand most chance of getting an interview. Most people can reject certain Med Schools very quickly because they don't fit their preferred criteria (poor GCSEs, low UKCAT, wrong 4th AS grade, weaker PS, etc) so there is unlikely to be anyone who holds all the information you are looking for-and who do you trust most with your future? Where you apply is probably more likely to determine whether you get into Medical School than your UKCAT result, AS results or GCSEs and I bet you spent hours working for those, so put in the leg work and look it all up. Good luck with your application!
Original post by GANFYD
At this stage, it is really a bit soon to say. Your AS levels alone will not stop you getting into Medicine. My son got ABBD at AS and got 4 interviews and 3 offers, you just need to apply to your strengths, so your GCSE and particularly UKCAT and possibly BMAT results are very important. You will need to be predicted 3 As at A2, but this should not be a problem with aab at AS. You then need to decide whether to apply to Unis that do not care about your 4th AS or resit to bring the grade up (though of those that care, most want at least b). There is no need to wait until after your A2 results if the rest of your application is acceptable as long as you are predicted at least AAA and apply to your strengths (see the wiki on this).
Graduate entry medicine should be a last resort as it is hugely competitive and very expensive. Studying abroad should also be something you consider if/when other options are exhausted due to the expense. Good luck

Hi, thank you for taking your time to reply.i have lots of questions for you. Which unis did you son apply to? And which year did he apply? I'm just asking because if he applied recently then I know I might have a chance too. Also was his Bs very high? Because my B is quite low. I don't know if my teacher will make that an A. I am hoping he will but it's very unlikely. My brother is going off to do Medicne in Bulgaria. I think they will take people with the minimum of BBB and their annual fee is £6k which is 3k cheaper than it is here. Also, their accommodation is around £100 per month+ £50 for food so money wise it's not too bad there. Also I am told it's the exact same course as its here.
Having said all that, I still desperately want to get into Medicne here and I'm hoping my teachers would predict me all As. Thank you so much for your time again 😊
Original post by GANFYD
I'll post some of the info I've put up before:

UKCAT "heavy" Med Schools are Newcastle/Durham (you can apply to both and they both purely rank on UKCAT if you meet their minimum requirements), Southampton, Exeter, Plymouth and Kings.
Aberdeen and Dundee use UKCAT fairly heavily (40%) with some academic criteria-predicted/achieved A2s for Aberdeen, check for Dundee.
Manchester rank on UKCAT then review PS.
Leicester, HYMS, UEA (I think, may have changed this year), SGUL, Queens Belfast and Nottingham have a scoring system involving GCSEs/ASs and UKCAT (publish details on their websites) and then Nottingham look at the PS of those that have scored highly enough to decide who to interview.
Barts uses UCAS score with UKCAT, so favours extra A levels, music exams etc.
Birmingham and Cardiff like lots of A* GCSEs and a good PS (though believe Birmingham may be using UKCAT too now).
Bristol is, I think, the only Uni not using an admission exam so like an amazing PS.
Liverpool is also PS heavy and scores As at GCSE the same as A* (not sure how they are going to use UKCAT as this is their first year).
Edinburgh is fairly holistic, but has a ridiculously complicated scoring system that you can find if you Google it.
St Andrews throws a bit of everything into the mix in its assessment but does use the UKCAT.
Glasgow now say they view all parts of an application equally, with very little specifics, so should be pretty holistic.
I think Leeds and BSMS are fairly holistic, but I know very little about BMAT Med Schools (so ditto for UCL and Imperial).
Keele and Lancaster used to be purely PS heavy but believe they have both changed admission criteria this year and are using the UKCAT.
I have ignored Oxbridge, though Oxford like a lot of A* GCSE and high BMAT and Cambridge like high UMS at AS level and high BMAT.

Hope that helps, but having said the above, my research was done for UG admission last year, so does not apply to postgrads and may be out of date. There is no real substitute for trawling through all the med schools websites/pages on here, etc and drawing up a spreadsheet rating your chances of gaining an interview at each one, given your stats. Tedious but informative and then it usually becomes clear where you will stand most chance of getting an interview. Most people can reject certain Med Schools very quickly because they don't fit their preferred criteria (poor GCSEs, low UKCAT, wrong 4th AS grade, weaker PS, etc) so there is unlikely to be anyone who holds all the information you are looking for-and who do you trust most with your future? Where you apply is probably more likely to determine whether you get into Medical School than your UKCAT result, AS results or GCSEs and I bet you spent hours working for those, so put in the leg work and look it all up. Good luck with your application!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your effort. 😊😊 I'm praying to God that I'll get a good UKCATS score.
Reply 47
Hi, thank you for taking your time to reply.i have lots of questions for you. Which unis did you son apply to? And which year did he apply? I'm just asking because if he applied recently then I know I might have a chance too. Also was his Bs very high? Because my B is quite low. I don't know if my teacher will make that an A. I am hoping he will but it's very unlikely. My brother is going off to do Medicne in Bulgaria. I think they will take people with the minimum of BBB and their annual fee is £6k which is 3k cheaper than it is here. Also, their accommodation is around £100 per month+ £50 for food so money wise it's not too bad there. Also I am told it's the exact same course as its here.
Having said all that, I still desperately want to get into Medicne here and I'm hoping my teachers would predict me all As. Thank you so much for your time again 😊

He applied last year and starts next month! He applied to Newcastle, Durham, Aberdeen and Nottingham (he had a good UKCAT score but is a year young, so that limited some places). His Bs were low/middle if I remember rightly (A in Practical, a B and a C in his papers-he did NO work for his AS exams at all!!). He resat the C and pulled both his Physics and Chemistry up to good As (just a couple of UMS off A*).
I suspect the difference with Bulgaria (though have never looked into it) is that you cannot get a loan in the same way for your tuition fees and living expenses? That can be repaid only when earnings hit a certain level and is wiped out at 30 years? There is also the language barrier for clinical placements. You might be taught in English, but taking histories will not be so easy as the patients will not all speak fluent English. Speak to your teachers about your predictions and how you think you will achieve an A-show them you have a plan and they are more likely to go for it! Good luck
Original post by GANFYD
He applied last year and starts next month! He applied to Newcastle, Durham, Aberdeen and Nottingham (he had a good UKCAT score but is a year young, so that limited some places). His Bs were low/middle if I remember rightly (A in Practical, a B and a C in his papers-he did NO work for his AS exams at all!!). He resat the C and pulled both his Physics and Chemistry up to good As (just a couple of UMS off A*).
I suspect the difference with Bulgaria (though have never looked into it) is that you cannot get a loan in the same way for your tuition fees and living expenses? That can be repaid only when earnings hit a certain level and is wiped out at 30 years? There is also the language barrier for clinical placements. You might be taught in English, but taking histories will not be so easy as the patients will not all speak fluent English. Speak to your teachers about your predictions and how you think you will achieve an A-show them you have a plan and they are more likely to go for it! Good luck

You are 100% right about Bulgaria. We would have to talk to the patients in Bulgarian somehow and the loan stuff is different too. Did your son have AAA as predicted grades? Are schools allowed to make predictions of As even if you didn't get As in AS level? Also what was your son's ukcat score? Did he do a lot of practice for his ukcats? I think the only way for me to get into a medical school without having the predicted grades of AAA is to do a foundation year but that's really hard for me because I don't meet the criteria about income and stuff 😕
Thank you again for your time. You ve been very helpful and have also given me some hope. You ve made me feel a lot better. Thank You!
I think the only way for me to get into a medical school without having the predicted grades of AAA is to do a foundation year but that's really hard for me because I don't meet the criteria about income and stuff 😕

I think you're a little confused regarding how foundation year medicine works. Foundation courses in medicine (it's different in other subjects) are directed at people who either studied non-science A-levels or people with no formal qualifications. It's usually part of 'widening access' schemes at some universities. In the former case, you would still need the same grades as in medicine, only in your non-science subjects. And you are specifically excluded from most of these if you have any science A-levels because they won't want people who didn't get the grades for the regular route to treat it like a backdoor into medicine.

Edit: Although at some universities such as Bristol, you can get a slightly lower contextual offer of AAB for medicine if you have certain contextual flags such as coming from a low-performing school or something like that but it's somewhat rare. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Apply to Italy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
I think you're a little confused regarding how foundation year medicine works. Foundation courses in medicine (it's different in other subjects) are directed at people who either studied non-science A-levels or people with no formal qualifications. It's usually part of 'widening access' schemes at some universities. In the former case, you would still need the same grades as in medicine, only in your non-science subjects. And you are specifically excluded from most of these if you have any science A-levels because they won't want people who didn't get the grades for the regular route to treat it like a backdoor into medicine.

Edit: Although at some universities such as Bristol, you can get a slightly lower contextual offer of AAB for medicine if you have certain contextual flags such as coming from a low-performing school or something like that but it's somewhat rare. :wink:

Thank you. I. Not sure if I'm getting confused but I'm sure I saw a programme and it only has 20 places or something similar to that. It lets people from a poor background apply to Medicne with lower grade boundaries. 😛
Original post by daindian
Apply to Italy

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I ve heard, Italy isn't the best place to go to. I think Bulgaria looks nicer anyways 😛
From what I ve heard, Italy isn't the best place to go to. I think Bulgaria looks nicer anyways 😛

Nah western Europe is much better than eastern Europe. It's much harder to get into. With places like Bulgaria they literally let anyone in. I know someone that failed a year of biomedical science and then got accepted in Bulgaria. There is a reason why agents guarantee entry to universities for medicine in Bulgaria and Romania.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
You are 100% right about Bulgaria. We would have to talk to the patients in Bulgarian somehow and the loan stuff is different too. Did your son have AAA as predicted grades? Are schools allowed to make predictions of As even if you didn't get As in AS level? Also what was your son's ukcat score? Did he do a lot of practice for his ukcats? I think the only way for me to get into a medical school without having the predicted grades of AAA is to do a foundation year but that's really hard for me because I don't meet the criteria about income and stuff 😕
Thank you again for your time. You ve been very helpful and have also given me some hope. You ve made me feel a lot better. Thank You!

My son had A*AA as his predicted grades. Your school are able to predict whatever they like, but they generally tend to stick to what is realistic, and only you and your teachers can know if it is realistic for you to get an A at A2 in Chemistry, but it is perfectly possible, my son went from a mid to low B to nearly getting an A*. He got 782.5 as his UKCAT score. He did about 2 weeks of work before the UKCAT exam. He is a bright lad, just rather lazy!
Foundation years have very strict access criteria. You may be thinking of the widening access schemes that most Med Schools run where they offer lower grades to applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds. Again, these have very particular access criteria, usually relating to the attainment of the school you attend, your home post code and/or the education level of your parents. Details can be found on websites.
A couple of med schools will take predictions of AAB (?UEA, ?HYMS, ?Lancaster), but I can see no reason why your school would not predict you an A if you sit down with them and explain that you are really prepared to work at it and have a reasonable explanation of how you will achieve it. Otherwise, my advice would be to spend the year working your socks off to get the grades and then apply next year with your achieved grades, as these sometimes score slightly more points on Med School scoring systems and, at the very least, prove you have met their requirements for A levels. You also need to make sure you have plenty of work experience/volunteering and score as highly as possible in the UKCAT (so maybe sitting it this year, even if not applying would let you experience what it is like?)
Thank you. I. Not sure if I'm getting confused but I'm sure I saw a programme and it only has 20 places or something similar to that. It lets people from a poor background apply to Medicne with lower grade boundaries. 😛

You may be thinking of one of those 'Gateway to Medicine' courses. I've seen one for Bristol but the big problem with them is that they're restricted to people who went to school in certain deprived areas. If you didn't go to those areas, then they won't accept your application. :/

Have a look at this: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2016/medicine/mb-chb-gateway-to-medicine/. This has 20 places too so this might be what you were thinking of.
If money is no object queen Mary have opened up a campus in Malta and there is always university of Buckingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending