The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Geetigirl
Thank you, I've posted a message in the thread. I was just wondering if Oxford would be mor successfu?

Even if Oxford does not look at UMS, B in Chemistry is not promising, I'm afraid.
You had very good GCSE grade in Chemistry and are obviously interested in Chemistry/Chemical engineering. I'm a bit baffled that your AS result is so low, and I'm sure you are, too. Do you think there's any good reason for that?
Ahaha trust me, it was the most surprising result to me. I thought those exams went the best. Tbh I expected better results overall but the exams were a lot harder than expected. There were no circumstances for me at all.
Original post by vincrows
Even if Oxford does not look at UMS, B in Chemistry is not promising, I'm afraid.
You had very good GCSE grade in Chemistry and are obviously interested in Chemistry/Chemical engineering. I'm a bit baffled that your AS result is so low, and I'm sure you are, too. Do you think there's any good reason for that?
Ahaha trust me, it was the most surprising result to me. I thought those exams went the best. Tbh I expected better results overall but the exams were a lot harder than expected. There were no circumstances for me at all.

It's a very difficult reality you have to accept isn't it. I'm so sorry that happened to you.
well.... unfortunately I don't think you'll have a very good chance with Oxbridge with the grades you have and without any extenuating circumstance you could've used as a trump card....
But if you still want to go to Oxbridge, I think the best option is go to the best uni your grades can lead you, study extremely hard and get a first, then apply for postgraduate course at Cambridge (or Oxford if you must...:tongue:). .

Good luck! :smile:
It's a very difficult reality you have to accept isn't it. I'm so sorry that happened to you.
well.... unfortunately I don't think you'll have a very good chance with Oxbridge with the grades you have and without any extenuating circumstance you could've used as a trump card....
But if you still want to go to Oxbridge, I think the best option is go to the best uni your grades can lead you, study extremely hard and get a first, then apply for postgraduate course at Cambridge (or Oxford if you must...:tongue:). .

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much for all your help. It's okay, there's a lot worse things could have happened ahah. Thank you so much anyway, I'm just going to work super hard to get into imperial. Thanks anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for all your help. It's okay, there's a lot worse things could have happened ahah. Thank you so much anyway, I'm just going to work super hard to get into imperial. Thanks anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid Imperial may also be concerned by the B. You're best bet, as suggested by the AT, may be a post A-level application. Although, of course, you have nothing to lose by also making an application this year to see if you get any offers at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's nothing to lose by asking so ask this Oxford admission tutor http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=1790211
Original post by jneill
I'm afraid Imperial may also be concerned by the B. You're best bet, as suggested by the AT, may be a post A-level application. Although, of course, you have nothing to lose by also making an application this year to see if you get any offers at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial as well? Yeah I don't think I can take a gap year ahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial as well? Yeah I don't think I can take a gap year ahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are applying to the top unis in the country, so they can afford to be very choosey... But as I said you can at least apply and see what happens.

Also look at Manchester. Good rep for ChemEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You are applying to the top unis in the country, so they can afford to be very choosey... But as I said you can at least apply and see what happens.

Also look at Manchester. Good rep for ChemEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for replying. Yeah of course they can, it's just their entry requirements, which I understand if a bare minimum, says only an A for chemistry at A2. Yeah I'm thinking of Manchester too, not too sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can a good bmat make up for a 93% UMS average?
I'm going to remark a couple of dodgy modules and apply for cambridge but obviously for something as competitive as cambridge medicine 93 isnt the best place to be. Should a BMAT be able to drag that up?
Also if I was sick for exams is that extenuating circumstances provided I got a note or is that too late?
hi I'm thinking about applying for Cambridge but i don't know if i got good enough to get in. be as brutally honest as possible without being soul destroying i'm a big boy i can take it (not like that). Basically AS i got AABC in Maths Economics Chemistry and Politics accordingly.mY RPEDICTEDS ARE a* a* a c A* in economics cos i got 95% overall, A* in maths cos i got 90% overall A in chemistry cos i got 2 marks off an A and c in politics cos i can't write.thanks for any replies
Original post by Jwanaton
hi I'm thinking about applying for Cambridge but i don't know if i got good enough to get in. be as brutally honest as possible without being soul destroying i'm a big boy i can take it (not like that). Basically AS i got AABC in Maths Economics Chemistry and Politics accordingly.mY RPEDICTEDS ARE a* a* a c A* in economics cos i got 95% overall, A* in maths cos i got 90% overall A in chemistry cos i got 2 marks off an A and c in politics cos i can't write.thanks for any replies

For? Anyway typical offer is A*AA/A*A*A depending on subject. If you aren't on target for that then... no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seeing as you "can't write", I'm going to have to go with no, sorry.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Seeing as you "can't write", I'm going to have to go with no, sorry.

Yes, there's that too...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well 95% and 90% and a B.

You might just maybe get an interview?

Depends on what subject though, Economics you'll have a hard time getting in I think due to the sheer competitiveness.

But that seems the only subject you'd be suited for.

Not Law if you can't write as you say.
Hi all

I have aspirations to study Law at Cambridge, though reading through this thread has suppressed my confidence greatly.

At GCSE I achieved an A grade in:

Geography
History
Mathematics
Statistics
English Literature
English Language
Physical Education

I also got B's in the three sciences.

At AS I ended up with

Politics: 92% average UMS
History: 89.5% average UMS
Economics: 82.5% average UMS
Use of Maths/applied maths: C (not sure of UMS ( I was thoroughly shocked at this result as I was attaining 100% in many of my mock exams, I guess i just had a bad day)

At A2 I am of course continuing with my strongest three and will retake applied maths to get an A.

While nor my GCSE or AS results were outstanding, i have extenuating circumstances, I just wanted to know how much these extenuating circumstances can compensate for poor results. I was diagnosed with a Pituitary Tumour (brain tumour) in May 2012 and have suffered in varying degrees since. My school attendance was hampered greatly (70% ish over year 10/11). In addition the fatigue i feel means I am unable to study and commit so much time to my studies as most. Despite this i managed to achieve 90% attendance in the previous year of AS.

I fear that I sound as though I am making excuses, though that is most definitely not my intention, my basic question is: do i stand a chance of even an interview?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Joseph_Lofts
Hi all

I have aspirations to study Law at Cambridge, though reading through this thread has suppressed my confidence greatly.

At GCSE I achieved an A grade in:

Geography
History
Mathematics
Statistics
English Literature
English Language
Physical Education

I also got B's in the three sciences.

At AS I ended up with

Politics: 92% average UMS
History: 89.5% average UMS
Economics: 82.5% average UMS
Use of Maths/applied maths: C (not sure of UMS ( I was thoroughly shocked at this result as I was attaining 100% in many of my mock exams, I guess i just had a bad day)

At A2 I am of course continuing with my strongest three and will retake applied maths to get an A.

While nor my GCSE or AS results were outstanding, i have extenuating circumstances, I just wanted to know how much these extenuating circumstances can compensate for poor results. I was diagnosed with a Pituitary Tumour (brain tumour) in May 2012 and have suffered in varying degrees since. My school attendance was hampered greatly (70% ish over year 10/11). In addition the fatigue i feel means I am unable to study and commit so much time to my studies as most. Despite this i managed to achieve 90% attendance in the previous year of AS.

I fear that I sound as though I am making excuses, though that is most definitely not my intention, my basic question is: do i stand a chance of even an interview?

Your average UMS is just around the level you may or may not invited to interview, but with your extenuating circumstance (definitely you're entitled to claim it!) and good improvement from your GCSE to AS, I think you probably will.
But many law candidates apply with 4 A-levels, so..... ...

Why don't you ask Christ's admission tutor who're hosting a Q&A thread in this forum?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571
Your average UMS is just around the level you may or may not invited to interview, but with your extenuating circumstance (definitely you're entitled to claim it!) and good improvement from your GCSE to AS, I think you probably will.
But many law candidates apply with 4 A-levels, so..... ...

Why don't you ask Christ's admission tutor who're hosting a Q&A thread in this forum?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571

Thank you
Original post by zedtee
I would definitely apply as I had only one of my three as levels over 90% and still got an interview that I messed up but you could still be in with a chance so apply regardless. It's definitely a good experience!!
My GCSEs were the same as yours just one less a and an extra b! So you have nothing to lose!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the confidence! Also, how was your personal statement like? Can you PM me? Thanks!
What are my chances for MML so far based off of my GCSE results?

5A*s (French, German, Geography, Child Development, Food and Nutrition) 4As (English Language, Maths, Science, Additional Science) 1B (English Literature - 1 mark away from A - awaiting remark).

I'll be doing AS levels in French, German, Chemistry and Biology. I was considering swapping Chemistry for Government and Politics, would this be more relevant to MML?

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending