The Student Room Group

Personal statement for 4 different courses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmyPilot
I applied for 4 speech and language courses and the joint course (which was run by a uni that I also applied to for the straight speech therapy course). My PS focused on speech therapy with a passing reference to psychology but this made sense anyway as psychology is studied in a speech therapy degree in any case and obviously that one uni that ran both courses knew I had applied to both.

Okay :smile:. Hope I decide one course!
First off you need to choose one of those options. You cannot apply for all together. You will come across as unfocused and run a very real risk of being rejected. Dietetics, audiology and speech and language therapy are all professional courses. To write a PS for any of those you need to follow the guidance for a medicine PS. Biomed is an academic course (unless accredited) and so you need to show your interest in the subject and explain why you want to study it.
Original post by alleycat393
First off you need to choose one of those options. You cannot apply for all together. You will come across as unfocused and run a very real risk of being rejected. Dietetics, audiology and speech and language therapy are all professional courses. To write a PS for any of those you need to follow the guidance for a medicine PS. Biomed is an academic course (unless accredited) and so you need to show your interest in the subject and explain why you want to study it.

So there's no way in applying for two courses that are science based? I could pull it off
Courses aren't just 'science based' or not. It's better to classify them as vocational or academic. You'd get away with applying for related academic courses but not professional ones because professional courses require specific things in a PS and are very competitive. You could try to 'pull it off' but I'm sure that other PS advisers on TSR will also agree that your chances of doing so and being successful are very slim.
Courses aren't just 'science based' or not. It's better to classify them as vocational or academic. You'd get away with applying for related academic courses but not professional ones because professional courses require specific things in a PS and are very competitive. You could try to 'pull it off' but I'm sure that other PS advisers on TSR will also agree that your chances of doing so and being successful are very slim.

Ohhh :frown: basically I'd apply for biomedical science but it leads to only lab based careers and so many people on TSR regret taking it. I'm going to ring the Imbs tommorow and ask a lot of questions such as job prospects.

Dietetics seems interesting. After shadowing a community dietician i've realised the career is least stressful, has the element of using science and helping people. I'm also going to shadow a hospital dietician which should make up my mind.

now I need to decide whether or not to consider either audiology or speech and language therapy
Like other people in this thread have said, you sound very unsure of what you want to do. You need to research careers and what they entail a lot more even if that means taking a year out to shadow different professionals and do some thinking about what you want from a career (you mention using science, helping people but not stressful). You might want to think about doing aptitude tests to work out what you're good at. Bear in mind that no academic degree, unlike professional degrees, leads to a fixed job or career so no a degree in biomed doesn't necessarily lead to a lab based career.
Reply 26
A career doesn't have to spring out at you but if one isn't springing out at you then it's probably not a good idea to commit to a vocational degree at this stage. It sounds like a general degree like biomedical sciences would be better for you if you've not made up your mind and if you are genuinely interested in it. But don't do a degree just for the sake of it. Take a year out maybe and just take your time. You have the luxury of time right now, while you're young. Don't feel you have to jump into a decision right away.
Like other people in this thread have said, you sound very unsure of what you want to do. You need to research careers and what they entail a lot more even if that means taking a year out to shadow different professionals and do some thinking about what you want from a career (you mention using science, helping people but not stressful). You might want to think about doing aptitude tests to work out what you're good at. Bear in mind that no academic degree, unlike professional degrees, leads to a fixed job or career so no a degree in biomed doesn't necessarily lead to a lab based career.

The biomedical science course is very lab based. After doing lab work at college I realised it's not my strongest part.

I've done several research and I'm nearly there! I'm not VERY confused i've actually got some ideas whereas,several people are most likely clueless.

I was just reading the dietetics course and out of all the courses this one seems AMAZING:smile:. It has a mixture of Biology and Chemistry and the the demand of dietician are increasing. Other than becoming a dietitian the course will allow me to decide menus at school hospitals and allow me to become a health promotion specalist. It'll also allow me to go into nutrition related careers.
Original post by giella
A career doesn't have to spring out at you but if one isn't springing out at you then it's probably not a good idea to commit to a vocational degree at this stage. It sounds like a general degree like biomedical sciences would be better for you if you've not made up your mind and if you are genuinely interested in it. But don't do a degree just for the sake of it. Take a year out maybe and just take your time. You have the luxury of time right now, while you're young. Don't feel you have to jump into a decision right away.

Hmm your right! However....
Just read the post I wrote above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending