The Student Room Group

RAF CBAT Score

So I recently attended the CBAT last month, applying for RPAS.

I scored:

Pilot-96 (cutoff 112)
RPAS-90 (cutoff 112)
ATC Officer-90 (cutoff 100)
ATC SNCO-90 (cutoff 80)
ABM IDO-101 (cutoff 100)
ABM WC-90 (cutoff 100)

so unfortunately I wasnt successful for RPAS however did pass for ATC SNCO and ABM IDO. air traffic control is something I am not interested in i'm afraid however I don't know enough about aerospace battle management. Does anyone know the differences between an ABM identification officer and a WC?

I am really passionate about joining as an RPAS Pilot, and I am still in school (last year of college) so debating whether to re-apply in march, or settle with ABM IDO (although I only got 1 mark above the cutoff, so not very competitive).

thanks for your help!
Reply 1
One note of caution is that, generally speaking (take with a substantial lump of salt), people don't massively improve that much when they do aptitudes for a second time. Especially when you're not talking about one or two points.

If your heart is set on something, then yes it's worth seeing that through, but do so realistically.
ABM IDO are the surveillance side of the battle managers, they identify blips on the radar and judge whether they will become threats. WO are the weapons controllers who are in contact with the pilots whilst they're in the air guiding them into targets. If you are interested in ABM I'd suggest gettin yaself to scampton or boulmer to have a look around.

Also a word of warnin on resitin, I failed ABM before it changed to 2 different categories, failed by 1 point, I resat a year later by failed by 12. So it's not a given that you'll pass if you resit again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also sat the RPAS pilot tests a few weeks ago and you did much better than me so well done on that half!
what I'd do is follow what the officer said at the debrief but push for what you want to do! At my debrief I was told to go for Logistics Officer, but I wanted to try for WSOP so I booked in for a different board tests to see how I get on and then make my decision then...
Reply 4
Can anyone shed any light or give advice on how to best prepare for CBAT? I have OASC coming up in a month.
Reply 5
Check the 101 threads about it fella :smile:

Basically, speed distance time is all you can prep properly. I also found using things like Brain Training (or some other equivalent) incredibly handy for building my mental arithmetic skills. There's a hell of a lot you can't prep for.

This website also throws similar questions at you to what you will find in certain sections of the CBAT.
http://www.speeddistancetime.info/

When you go to the CBAT, they send you through an info pack with better information.
Reply 6
I would highly advise you do not apply for Aerospace Battle Manager unless you pass for both Identification Officer and Weapon Controller. Your Phase 2 training for ABM is very difficult and it is best you have aptitude for both roles so if you fail training for one you can be re-streamed for the other. The ABM aptitude tests have been weighted to display potential to pass training so they are a good indicator of pass out.

If you are passionate about RPAS then have two plans. Plan to go back and re-do the aptitude tests. As mentioned majority of people do not improve. BUT if you feel you were unprepared, for example if our quick maths wasn't good then you may improve. Have a plan B like university. I wanted to join as an officer straight out of a-levels but waiting three years and having the experience of university gave me a far higher change of passing selection.

Source: Currently on ABM phase 2
Reply 7
Any tips for the CBAT I'm too going for RPAS so would love some advice or things to brush up on,
Cheers!
Reply 8
Hi mate,
Did my CBAT a few months ago, all you can do is not panick. There isn't too much you can do to prepare other than practice speed/time/distance and mental arithmetics (as quick as you can). Take your time when doing the questions when you can and you will be given chances to practice some excersises before you do the actual test so make the most of this (use all your tries). As you go through the tests you will be thinking 'I haven't done well' (well atleast I did) but just remember the tests go from very hard to impossible, I believe they are meant to see if you can just keep your cool when stressed. Between every few tests you are given a few minutes to have a drink etc... Use these minutes to just collect your self, make sure you stay motivated all through the day (it's a loooong day). Any other questions feel free to ask.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice mate I'll keep that in mind, much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest