The Student Room Group

COWA Access to Medicine 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Good luck to you all starting the course shortly!

Feel free to check out and 'like' the Facebook book page, and read some of the student success stories.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Access-to-Medicine-and-Dentistry-at-CWA/419382218186901?fref=ts
Reply 61
Original post by spv
Hey! We are in the same boat-except I'm 20!! I'm in the course due to start on 7/9

Hey hey! Sorry! Just saw this. I'm due to start on the 7th too! Do you know what time you're supposed to be there?

Yay! Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one with this background :tongue:
Looking forward to meeting you all! :biggrin:
Hi there! Can anyone who has completed/currently on the course help me out? I'm considering relocating from West Yorkshire to be able to do this course the coming September 2016 (although I've no idea how I will afford it!)

Could you tell me what the college is like, the staff, the course, timetables, content studied etc? I'm wanting to apply for Medicine and without any A-Levels I need a way in!

Thanks!
Hi there, I relocated for the course in 2014. It was the best thing I ever did, after a failed attempt at getting into medicine the year before. The college has an Access to Learning Loan which you an apply for before you start. A few of us did this, and it covered our rent, which was really helpful. You also don't have to pay it back. It is assessed on an individual basis. The college is nice, access students tend to stick together. Majority of the student population are young 16/17/18 year olds, but we never had any issues. There are nice places to have lunch, and on sunny days we used to sit in the park next door. The timetable for our year was Tues to Thurs, back to back classes. So means you can have a nice long weekend to work/study. I think if you redo a GCSE you come in on a Monday. Classes involved all the sciences, theory and practical, maths (mainly stats), epidemiology, and a research project. You finish epidemiology and maths in about Feb, so the timetable gets a bit lighter meaning you can focus on finals. Quite a lot of us had interviews, the uni's definitely seem to prefer CWA A2M, as opposed to other institutions. The year flies by, and it is a heavy work load. My advice would be to keep on top of everything, use every bit of time productively, including half-term periods to get ahead. Have your UCAS statement and UKCAT out of the way before you start. Spend a bit of time over the summer recapping the basics of GCSE sciences, it will help you a lot! The course director Jim is amazing, he's also the physics teacher. I believe the biology teacher has changed. Maths teacher is lovely, really wants people to be successful. Chemistry teacher also teaches epidemiology. Hope this helps!
Original post by Medstudent87
Hi there, I relocated for the course in 2014. It was the best thing I ever did, after a failed attempt at getting into medicine the year before. The college has an Access to Learning Loan which you an apply for before you start. A few of us did this, and it covered our rent, which was really helpful. You also don't have to pay it back. It is assessed on an individual basis. The college is nice, access students tend to stick together. Majority of the student population are young 16/17/18 year olds, but we never had any issues. There are nice places to have lunch, and on sunny days we used to sit in the park next door. The timetable for our year was Tues to Thurs, back to back classes. So means you can have a nice long weekend to work/study. I think if you redo a GCSE you come in on a Monday. Classes involved all the sciences, theory and practical, maths (mainly stats), epidemiology, and a research project. You finish epidemiology and maths in about Feb, so the timetable gets a bit lighter meaning you can focus on finals. Quite a lot of us had interviews, the uni's definitely seem to prefer CWA A2M, as opposed to other institutions. The year flies by, and it is a heavy work load. My advice would be to keep on top of everything, use every bit of time productively, including half-term periods to get ahead. Have your UCAS statement and UKCAT out of the way before you start. Spend a bit of time over the summer recapping the basics of GCSE sciences, it will help you a lot! The course director Jim is amazing, he's also the physics teacher. I believe the biology teacher has changed. Maths teacher is lovely, really wants people to be successful. Chemistry teacher also teaches epidemiology. Hope this helps!

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, that sounds great! Any idea how many of you got onto Medicine? I'm definitely going to consider this, although I'm tempted to wait until September 2017, work full time to save up and get some more work experience/studying under my belt so I can understand the context from day one rather than falling behind!
Reply 65
Original post by sjgreenwood2
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, that sounds great! Any idea how many of you got onto Medicine? I'm definitely going to consider this, although I'm tempted to wait until September 2017, work full time to save up and get some more work experience/studying under my belt so I can understand the context from day one rather than falling behind!

You're welcome. From my cohort, 7 of us are now at medical school. However, there were many more students who had interviews, got a place but didn't get the grades so couldn't go, or were rejected post-interview for various reasons. Also, those who were not successful last year, but got the grades, are getting interviews this year.

I don't blame you wanting to get your finances/work experience sorted. You really do stand a better chance if you have some work experience under your belt. Universities are increasingly expecting paid/voluntary work experience in a caring role over shadowing etc. I also saved up before the course and then lived on my savings. I was working part-time for a few months into the course, but had to give it up as the work load got too intense. The college advise against working a lot of hours and commuting. I know some people who worked or were commuting long hours, didn't get the grades. When you're giving up so much to be there, you don't want silly things like that to cost you getting into medicine! The course is hard, and it was definitely blood, sweat and tears at times - but it is definitely worth it and I am loving medical school so far!! Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by onyx_87
You're welcome. From my cohort, 7 of us are now at medical school. However, there were many more students who had interviews, got a place but didn't get the grades so couldn't go, or were rejected post-interview for various reasons. Also, those who were not successful last year, but got the grades, are getting interviews this year.

I don't blame you wanting to get your finances/work experience sorted. You really do stand a better chance if you have some work experience under your belt. Universities are increasingly expecting paid/voluntary work experience in a caring role over shadowing etc. I also saved up before the course and then lived on my savings. I was working part-time for a few months into the course, but had to give it up as the work load got too intense. The college advise against working a lot of hours and commuting. I know some people who worked or were commuting long hours, didn't get the grades. When you're giving up so much to be there, you don't want silly things like that to cost you getting into medicine! The course is hard, and it was definitely blood, sweat and tears at times - but it is definitely worth it and I am loving medical school so far!! Best of luck! :smile:

Okay, I guess it's hard to get into medicine anyway, no matter what route you are taking. I've just noticed that I'd need to retake a GCSE Science to get onto the COWA course as I only have a B in Biology and C's in Chem and Physics...this is going to be a mission! Hopefully it will all be worth it! Thanks again!
Reply 67
Definitely speak to the course director as I'm sure there were people in my cohort with similar grades. They studied for their GCSE at the same time, well some did English and maths anyway as far as I remember!
Original post by onyx_87
Definitely speak to the course director as I'm sure there were people in my cohort with similar grades. They studied for their GCSE at the same time, well some did English and maths anyway as far as I remember!

I'll more than likely be looking to apply for Sep 2017 so could do it as an evening class, or teach myself and sit the exams somewhere as an external candidate, but thank you :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by Phoenix_96
Just received an interview invitation for this course, anyone else? :smile:

All the best for the interview. I'm looking forward to apply for the course in next few days. Goodluck :smile:
Reply 70
Had my interview today and have been offered a place on the programme. :smile:

Congratzz 👍
Reply 71
Had my interview today and have been offered a place on the programme. :smile:

What exactly did they ask you in the interview?
Reply 72
It was pretty informal, had a look at my previous qualifications and asked about my experience in healthcare and why I wanted to do Medicine. It was very relaxed, we had a presentation about the course first before the interviews.

How many students have had their interviews today?
Reply 73
There were a few of us but interviews are ongoing I believe

Alright, thanks. Have they offered you a place for A-Level?
Reply 74
Nope they've offered me a place for the Access to Medicine programme :smile:

Brilliant. Congratulations 👍
Hello,

I'm starting this course next month and I've had a look for the textbooks and some of them are extremely expensive. I was wondering if anyone from this cohort would like to sell me their textbooks? Also are all of the more pricey books available in the library?
Reply 76
Hi guys, I am about to start the access course this september but I have just been told that King's Lynn has a reputation for being racist/aggressive, as a black girl I am worried about this although I will be commuting in from cambridge. Have any of you guys experienced any racism etc. What is it like in your opinion?

Quick Reply