The Student Room Group

personal statement for mental health course

hi im currently trying to find some inspiration for my uni personal statement, iv finally decided on mental health but noticed not many forums are talking about it.
Any tips would be great :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there, I'm currently applying for mental health nursing at uni and I've heard that talking about who or what has influenced you to do the course is very important and also why you want to do the course.
Original post by tinyboom
hi im currently trying to find some inspiration for my uni personal statement, iv finally decided on mental health but noticed not many forums are talking about it.
Any tips would be great :smile:

Mental health nursing you mean?
If so I applied for it last year and start next week:smile:

I would say you should talk about the skills you've gained and what you've learnt that is relevant to nursing from any work experience you've done, things like teamwork and communication skills are good to mention.
Also talk about current issues in nursing and policies that have come about from them so things like no health without mental health are good to read to get some ideas for your personal statement. In my statement, I very briefly talked about my academics as i ve studied anatomy in the past so talked about how i can build upon what i already know in my degree. Then the last thing which isn't necessarily a must have but you can talk about any hobbies or volunteering outside of education so that you can show that you can balance life well and have good time management skills and all that jazz:P

Original post by evieasmr98
Hi there, I'm currently applying for mental health nursing at uni and I've heard that talking about who or what has influenced you to do the course is very important and also why you want to do the course.
If you have any other questions send me a message and I ll see what i can do:smile:
Reply 4
argh thanks guys, its been hard to find many people doing mental health nursing, everyone's doing adult or child. :frown: looking online theres not much around with regards to personal statements on the course. I need to have a brief rough copy by the 14th sept.
Original post by tinyboom
argh thanks guys, its been hard to find many people doing mental health nursing, everyone's doing adult or child. :frown: looking online theres not much around with regards to personal statements on the course. I need to have a brief rough copy by the 14th sept.

there's a couple here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16009-nursing-personal-statements
You have to be clear that you're applying to mental health and why not other branches but otherwise you can use the same structure that personal statements from other branches too. Oh and i forgot to say stigmatisation and discrimination in mental health is another good thing to mention:smile:
Which universities are you thinking about applying to?
Reply 7
I'm going for Worcester uni as that's where I live, and also Birmingham City.
The guidance for medicine (see the links in my sig below) will be relevant for the course - just make it specific about mental health nursing :smile:

Quick Reply