The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I got 12 A*s and I got rejected.... **** them.

Edit: That said, I was pondering applying to Oxford, because I knew I had a significantly greater chance, but Oxford isn't that good for my course. Been offered by a university I'd have liked to go to anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Nope, I have similar results (8,6,1,1) with photography being the C and applying for Physical NatSci. They weren't to be an issue!

Why on earth did you take 16 GCSEs?!
Original post by Alex_Aits
Why on earth did you take 16 GCSEs?!

It just happened, forced to do some... The Welsh Baccalaureate too :colonhash:
They still care, just not that much. It doesn;'t mean you shouldnt work hard in them
Original post by Alex_Aits
you stated (maybe a B), in my GCSEs, to be fair, I should have worked harder for certain subjects, I got 7A*s 3As a B and a C: The B being in french and the C in Physical Education haha! Surely that shouldn't have that much of an impact on my application next year when I apply for Economics?

You should be fine :yes: I probably should have said "the rest mostly As".
Reply 65
Original post by The Polymath
You should be fine :yes: I probably should have said "the rest mostly As".

Great thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Tarquin Digby
They don't. I have an offer for Maths and I got a C in English Language, B in English Lit, B in RE etc.

They do care about GCSEs. Eg, from Trinity:

Trinity College, Cambridge

"Does it matter if I don't have A* grades in all my GCSEs?

Certainly not. GCSE is just one of the factors taken into account. We are looking for potential as well as achievement. Remember though that competition for places is always severe and the majority of our applicants do come to us with 8 or more GCSE grades of A or A*, of which about 6 or 7 are A*."

And from the Corpus Admissions Tutor on TSR:

Corpus Admissions
GCSEs are important but generally we place more weight on more recent exams, which is why we ask for UMS scores for ASs.

So while they are not the "be all and end all" (of course), they are clearly used in admissions decisions. To state that they "don't care" is inaccurate.

You shouldn't make sweeping statements based on your own experience of a subject that is notorious for caring less about GCSE grades than other subjects.
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol you guys are hilarious, some guy in my year has an interview with cambridge for law but his GCSEs were mediocre like 1A* 7A and 3B but he smashed as and got like 91 average ums for politics like 95 for law and 90+ for English lit. On the other hand I know someone who got 4A* 7As for gcse and 5As at AS and 4A* predictions and got rejected because of his UMS so I wouldn't sorry too much lol
So if I had like 10 A*s 3 As and a B (probably art) and a C.(photography)..

They won't stop me will they :colondollar:

i got 3 A*, 4A, 3B,3C. But 4 A'S at as and 4A* at a2- can i get into cambridge med course or ucl etc...
Reply 69
Original post by Shadow Killer
i got 3 A*, 4A, 3B,3C. But 4 A'S at as and 4A* at a2- can i get into cambridge med course or ucl etc...

Depends on your subjects at AS/A2. But in theory yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep!!

Cambridge
Imperial
Bath
---
---

Unsure upon the last two..

How about:
1) UCL (University College London), Engineering (Chemical), UCAS code: H800
2) Edinburgh, Chemical Engineering, UCAS code: H800.
Original post by jneill
Depends on your subjects at AS/A2. But in theory yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i want to do medicine
Reply 72
Original post by Shadow Killer
i want to do medicine

...and, as per my question, what are your subjects at AS?

But be aware your GCSEs are considered more important for Medicine than for other subjects and are below the typical applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
...and, as per my question, what are your subjects at AS?

But be aware your GCSEs are considered more important for Medicine and are below the typical applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd rather want to ask him how many more times he's planning to post the same questions everywhere....:tongue:
Reply 74
Original post by vincrows
I'd rather want to ask him how many more times he's planning to post the same questions everywhere....:tongue:

Ah, indeed... and I just realised one of my previous replies to SK earned me a community report. Now added to my ignore list.
Original post by jneill
Ah, indeed... and I just realised one of my previous replies to SK earned me a community report. Now added to my ignore list.

You also spotted his GCSE results were different from post to post. :wink:

Gosh, did you get a community report for that? Thought it was gems you were trying to collect.....:tongue:
Reply 76
Original post by vincrows
You also spotted his GCSE results were different from post to post. :wink:

Gosh, did you get a community report for that? Thought it was gems you were trying to collect.....:tongue:

Yep. And Yep.

Ah well, lesson learned. We can focus on helping more deserving candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sickoftheslaughter
Honestly I wouldn't let that stop you applying - My GCSEs were 2A* 6 As, 1 B, and got 95+ UMS average at AS and still got in. If you aren't applying to a super competitive course and you have a great reference/great ps then you should get an interview and if you show passion/ability through the interview and tests you may still get a place.

Lots of people will have 10 A* but if they appear spoon fed or unable to think critically for themselves Cambridge won't take them. Anyway there is not harm in applying!

If you don't mind me asking did you apply for medicine? Because I have simaliar grades to you and am hoping to apply to Cambridge.
Reply 78
I got AAAABBBBBB. Very disappointing, is there still hope?
Reply 79
Original post by Lockra
I got AAAABBBBBB. Very disappointing, is there still hope?

Possibly. If you are realistically on target to meet the typical offer for the course you are interested in then it is worth applying.

There is a stickied thread on the topic:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2086102

And this is an old thread so I'm closing it :smile:

Latest