The Student Room Group

where do you think it's best to apply for the FPas...?

Hello there, this is my first post, so nice to meet you all :smile:
I'm currently attending 4th year of Med school and I'm wondering about where to apply for my FPas when I'm done.
I have a real interest in Neurology and endocrinology, I nave read tons of books about the Pnei circuit and I think that is what I'm gong to specialize into ...so which would be the best choices for my FPas? I'm willing to move all around Uk even though London just seems the right place for me

Hope to hear lots of opinions :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by DrGiulia
Hello there, this is my first post, so nice to meet you all :smile:
I'm currently attending 4th year of Med school and I'm wondering about where to apply for my FPas when I'm done.
I have a real interest in Neurology and endocrinology, I nave read tons of books about the Pnei circuit and I think that is what I'm gong to specialize into ...so which would be the best choices for my FPas? I'm willing to move all around Uk even though London just seems the right place for me

Hope to hear lots of opinions :smile:

Where you complete your foundation programme has little bearing on the rest of your career. Things worth considering are proximity to friends/family, mainly city vs mainly rural, any other geographical ties you might have. Most hospitals will have an endocrine team, and there are plenty of places to do neurology too.

Even Google couldn't tell me what a pnei circuit is though, care to enlighten us?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply

PNEI stands for Psycho-Neuro-Immune-Endocrinology, it's a concept one of my professors back in Italy was really passionate of and something I'd like to work on when I specialize. Basically it considers how each one of these systems works on its own and how their interaction is the key that controls the overall picture of the human body's wellness/illness.
Reply 3
Apply where you will be happy. If you like the big city, and big, competitive hospitals apply for london/manchester etc. If you like the outdoors/watersports apply for peninsula/scotland/wales. It all depends on what makes you tick
Reply 4
Thanks doodles!

So it really is the same where you end up during FP? Wouldn' t it be better for your CV if you got into, saying, London or Oxford? It probably is a silly question, I know, but where I come from these things count a lot and they end up affecting your career...so since I don't have many strings attached in the UK yet I want to make sure I get this right :smile:
Original post by DrGiulia
Thanks doodles!

So it really is the same where you end up during FP? Wouldn' t it be better for your CV if you got into, saying, London or Oxford? It probably is a silly question, I know, but where I come from these things count a lot and they end up affecting your career...so since I don't have many strings attached in the UK yet I want to make sure I get this right :smile:

In the UK, it is not better for your CV if you do your foundation training in London and Oxford etc. The way the UK employers differentiate you are things like: publications, audits, prizes etc. so it doesn't matter where you go, but how much you learn and how you use your time/develop professionally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending