The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kou1230
Hello everyone.I intend to apply for Natural science in Cambridge University.
My AS results:
Biology 86.7%
Chemistry 91.3%
Physics 99.6%
Mathematics (+further math) 99.5%
I have 2 questions:
1. I got less than 90% in biology. Would it be possible for me to get an offer?
2. I have seen that many people have their GCSE results, but I don't. Is it necessary? Will it becomes a disadvantage for me?
Thanks

1. With regards to Biology, it depends if you're applying for Bio NatSci or Phys NatSci. I was a phys natsci, with similar biolody AS results, it wasn't a problem for me at all. It wasn't even quoted in my offer. I'd be more focused on getting higher marks on chemistry than biology... unless you want to be a bio natsci?

2. Do you mean you didn't sit GCSEs? Did you do any equivalent qualification?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Just wanted to pay public tribute to your endless patience on here in the face of the same questions, over and over again.

Thanks. :smile:
But someone else was very clever and helpful, too.

I've been harbouring some ideas on doing a similar thing for and been meaning to ask one of the moderators of this forum about it but was never sure which one is the best person to ask. Is it OK to PM you to talk about it or can you tell me who I should contact?
Original post by vincrows

I've been harbouring some ideas on doing a similar thing for and been meaning to ask one of the moderators of this forum about it but was never sure which one is the best person to ask. Is it OK to PM you to talk about it or can you tell me who I should contact?

Feel free to PM me, or better still @Lucilou101, @fluteflute (who are the Oxbridge mods) or @Minerva or @Roving Fish who are the section leaders for unis.
Feel free to PM me, or better still @Lucilou101, @fluteflute (who are the Oxbridge mods) or @Minerva or @Roving Fish who are the section leaders for unis.

Thanks! Will do when I'm ready to do so. :wink:
Just wanted to pay public tribute to your endless patience on here in the face of the same questions, over and over again.

:colondollar:

Original post by jneill

Although sometimes my patience can be a little tested... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Although sometimes my patience can be a little tested... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it....
I got three As (Bio, English Lit, R.S) and a D (History, 1 module high b, other low e) at AS. I intend to apply for Law. Do you think this will be a significant disadvantage/not even worth it? I'm on track to get A* AA at A2 and got 6A*s, 4As and a B at GCSE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 09wakemanm
I got three As (Bio, English Lit, R.S) and a D (History, 1 module high b, other low e) at AS. I intend to apply for Law. Do you think this will be a significant disadvantage/not even worth it? I'm on track to get A* AA at A2 and got 6A*s, 4As and a B at GCSE.

What are you UMS scores in each subject?

If your scores are good then I think you'll still have a fair chance, and that E would probably be seen as a rogue exam depending on the other scores.

But it all depends on what you got in each exam/overall
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What are you UMS scores in each subject?

If your scores are good then I think you'll still have a fair chance, and that E would probably be seen as a rogue exam depending on the other scores.

But it all depends on what you got in each exam/overall

English- 97%
R.S- 87%
Bio- 83%

Thanks for the response
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 09wakemanm
English- 97%
R.S- 87%
Bio- 83%

Thanks for the response

That's an 89% average so you should receive an interview I'd say.

It's worth applying, you have 4 other slots anyway.

You'll probably have to take the LNAT too, so if you do well in that, it could swing things in your favour.

Best of luck!
Original post by vincrows

Hi everyone,
I am thinking of applying to Cambridge to do Maths and Physics, I got 11A*s at GCSE and A*AAA in Maths, Physics, History and Classical Civilisation this year but I am not sure that my UMS scores are quite high enough considering how competitive the course is;
C1- 95
C2- 97
C3- 95
C4- 92
M1- 100
S1- 93
D1- 92
Physics Unit 1- 98/120
Physics Unit 2- 120/120
Physics Coursework- 50/60
Thank you!!
Original post by annagriffith
Hi everyone,
I am thinking of applying to Cambridge to do Maths and Physics, I got 11A*s at GCSE and A*AAA in Maths, Physics, History and Classical Civilisation this year but I am not sure that my UMS scores are quite high enough considering how competitive the course is;
C1- 95
C2- 97
C3- 95
C4- 92
M1- 100
S1- 93
D1- 92
Physics Unit 1- 98/120
Physics Unit 2- 120/120
Physics Coursework- 50/60
Thank you!!

You'd receive an interview.
Original post by strangesquark
1. With regards to Biology, it depends if you're applying for Bio NatSci or Phys NatSci. I was a phys natsci, with similar biolody AS results, it wasn't a problem for me at all. It wasn't even quoted in my offer. I'd be more focused on getting higher marks on chemistry than biology... unless you want to be a bio natsci?

2. Do you mean you didn't sit GCSEs? Did you do any equivalent qualification?

I want to apply for Bio NatSci, and if I get entrance I will do Bio of Cells, Physics and Chemistry in the first year, all of them doesn't require A2 Biology so in the next term I may drop it. In the UCAS website I only see there is Natural Science but they didn't separate it into Physical and Biological. If there is any difference between application process of Phys NatSci and Bio NatSci? Will interviewers be different in interview of Phys NatSci and Bio NatSci? Should I apply for Phys NatSci first?
I didn't take GCSE and I was in the local high school before A level. About this I will try to ask the admission office.
Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kou1230
I want to apply for Bio NatSci, and if I get entrance I will do Bio of Cells, Physics and Chemistry in the first year, all of them doesn't require A2 Biology so in the next term I may drop it. In the UCAS website I only see there is Natural Science but they didn't separate it into Physical and Biological. If there is any difference between application process of Phys NatSci and Bio NatSci? Will interviewers be different in interview of Phys NatSci and Bio NatSci? Should I apply for Phys NatSci first?
I didn't take GCSE and I was in the local high school before A level. About this I will try to ask the admission office.
Thank you.

I hope to do the same modules, and I dropped Biology after AS.

You choose biological/physical in the SAQ after your UCAS application.

The Interviews will be different. Physical will focus on maths, chem, Physics. Biological will focus on chem, biochem, Biology.

I chose physical because I thought I'd be more comfortable with the interview, it doesn't really mean much except for the difference in interview. Once there as a physical NatSci you can still do cells, chem and physics so.
Original post by Kou1230
Thank you.

With those subjects you want to take I'd apply for Phys Natsci seeing as you want to study physics, by doing physics you also need to take at least Mathematics A, both of these skills will need to be assessed in your interviews. It's not uncommon for phys natscis to take a biology modules but I've never heard of bio natscis taking physics and I don't actually know whether this would be possible. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Kou1230
Thank you.

You don't have to apply for either bio or phys, there's no formal process. But at my interviews they did ask which one I was intending to be, and what first year module I wanted to take. Obviously it's not set in stone at that stage, but still worth considering.

If you want to be a bio natsci, you're restricting yourself a bit by only taking one 'bio' subject in the first year. Second year courses do somewhat build on first year ones, and although it's not always compulsory to do a particular course, why make life hard for yourself.
For example:
- part IB Physiology it'd be very useful to have done IA Physiology of Organisms.
- part ib 'Plant and Microbial Sciences' it'd be useful to have done Biology of Cells IA, Physiology of Organisms IA or Evolution and Behaviour IA.
- Part IB Ecology it'd be useful to have done these: Part IA Evolution and Behaviour; Part IA Physiology of Organisms; A Level Biology

I suggest you have a look at the second year options available and make sure what you're taking in the first year will feed well into the second year also.

And at my college you do get different interviewers. They'll be fellows in their respective fields, they're not going to ask a physicist to do a biology interview. For me, I was asked to give an indication of my first year subjects, then they assigned you interviewers based on this. But I don't know what it's like at other colleges so I can't speak for them. And anyway, application processes might have changed since.
Whilst we're on the subject of NatSci, is there any extra curricular activities I can do to make myself look more appealing for a Phys NatSci course?
I know this is asked all the time but I am new to the idea of Cambridge and UMS as I have never done as well as I have done this year. I am a gap year applicant with A*A* A but my UMS average is 87 as I had some low As modules and never thought to retake them! Do you think this will stand a chance in Cambridge admissions for HSPS? I know anything below 90 is looked down on but now I actually have my 2 A* and high A will it matter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending