The Student Room Group

(edited 7 years ago)
I was diagnosed less than 6 months ago after suspecting I had BPD for two years. The diagnosis has caused my mental health to nose-dive and has made all my friendships incredibly strained. I was referred to a service for people with PDs and then after like 3 sessions took against my key worker and have not returned.
I got diagnosed with BPD, I don't know how long ago because I was never told!! I only found out after spending 3 months in a psychiatric unit after being admitted for being suicidal, and I looked at the discharge paperwork and there it was under "diagnoses". I had always suspected it though so it came as no surprise.

I read as many books on it as I could, as I wanted to understand it as much as possible so that I knew what I was trying to get better from. I recommend 'The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide' (99% sure that's the name of it). It's good and not stigmatising at all.

When I was under one NHS region, I did not get any specific help for it. I saw my psychiatrist every couple of weeks, and was on anti-depressants. When I then went inpatient, they put me on anti-psychotics (quetiapine) which I found made a huge difference to my daily functioning. I wasn't as impulsive and I found it much easier to rationalise things. I then moved NHS regions and I am now receiving DBT. My therapist and I get on really well and I am making progress. I am still on quetiapine but a reduced dose.

I am in no way near recovered, I have a long, long way to go yet but I am making progress. Too many people paint it as a 'dead end' diagnosis, but recovery is possible if you want it enough and are prepared to work for it. It does tend to be a bit of a postcode lottery for specific help however.

I am glad that you feel optimistic about your treatment plan, that always helps. Just a message away if you want to talk about it further x
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I was diagnosed less than 6 months ago after suspecting I had BPD for two years. The diagnosis has caused my mental health to nose-dive and has made all my friendships incredibly strained. I was referred to a service for people with PDs and then after like 3 sessions took against my key worker and have not returned.

Heya SmallTownGirl,
thank you for your reply :hugs: isn't it funny how right you can be? I mean like aftrr suspecting you finally get the confirmation that you were correct.
Why did the diagnisis affect you? Was it the confirmation itself or did it just happen at that time?
Oh how did you find the service?? My psychiatrist has referred me to a unit for people with PDs. She said I will get group therapy then individual therapy. I'm quite looking forward to meeting people like me to be honest.
How have you been since leaving the service?
Original post by anonymouspie227
Heya SmallTownGirl,
thank you for your reply :hugs: isn't it funny how right you can be? I mean like aftrr suspecting you finally get the confirmation that you were correct.
Why did the diagnisis affect you? Was it the confirmation itself or did it just happen at that time?
Oh how did you find the service?? My psychiatrist has referred me to a unit for people with PDs. She said I will get group therapy then individual therapy. I'm quite looking forward to meeting people like me to be honest.

I think it was kind of the realisation that for years I'd been thinking that the people I'd trusted were treating me badly and that it was their fault, not mine, and I had to face up to the fact I was the one in the wrong. That I had caused the problems and that I was interpreting the relationships differently to everyone else. When I fell apart because a friend I was never attracted to started dating another one of our friends no-one could understand why it hurt because 'normal' people don't react that way. That my constant desire for love and affection from everyone in my life is the reason why my friends all stopped talking to me - I'm needy and people can't handle the pressure. And so I've been picking fights with the friends I have left because I know it can't last forever and I love them so I don't want them to have to go through the crap I've given everyone else. I know I can't rely on people so much but I don't know how to connect with someone without it being ridiculously intense.

Well I saw a key worker, I had to sign a behaviour agreement, I went to an art session and then saw my key worker again the next week, she didn't realise that something was making me uncomfortable and I walked out.
Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate the suggestions.

The fact that you weren't told is something that I've experienced too. I saw on my medical notes that I was diagnosed with chronic depression and all sorts and despite me asking what was wrong with me they never told me despite giving me medication and suggesting therapies :frown: I dont understand why to be honest. It's ao frustrating. But I'm glad they've finally told me!

I hope you're okay now! What was inpatient like? I hope you don't mind me asking. It's just my psychiatrist kept on bringing it up. I will definitely check it out.

So does that mean that your diagnosis follows you? Like how does that work? Do I have to be re diagnosed if I move regions? (Im currently at university) also did you get any support if you're at university? When I was being treated for depression my mental health coordinator kept on saying that I need to apply for dsa etc. Did you get any help with uni work from your department too? Like I feel like I'll fail my resits and I don't know what to do tbh. I certainly agree that it is a postcode lottery. Although I've had to wait months for assessments and to be properly in the system I know elsewhere the treatment will differ once in the system.

I am glad your medications worked for you and your and your doc get on well :smile:

When you say recovery do you mean that I can be cured? Or that I can learn to function and exist with it? Sorry for all the questions.

xxxxx

No problem! :h: Yep, I was never told I had any diagnosis (I also have depression and anxiety), despite, like you experienced, being offered help (whether that was therapy/medication/both). Sometimes I think they may have the belief that giving someone a diagnosis can do more harm than good. I can see why - sort of. But I also think that a diagnosis can benefit people. It just depends on the individual and their temperament.

I'm alright thank you! :h: I have mixed feelings about inpatient. I have been inpatient twice (once for a couple of weeks and once for three months). The first time, I didn't find it helpful at all. I was basically ignored by staff the whole time and didn't get any help at all while I was there. The second time, was much more helpful. However, I did 'misbehave' (not the correct word to use but not sure what would be better lol...brain isn't cooperating :redface:) a bit - TW TW TW TW I took an OD while on the ward and also absconded resulting in being brought back by police. TW TW TW TW. The cynical part of me wants to say that because of my actions, they paid me a bit more attention. I had two nurses who were absolutely fantastic. So kind, caring, the 'right' kind of nurse. I still miss them sometimes. Sadly a lot of the other nurses weren't so great. I think they were quite judgemental towards people with BPD (this may be my skewed judgement but I'm not sure). A few of them were just unpleasant to everyone, it was very clear that to them, nursing was a job that pays the bills, nothing more. Being on the ward kept me safe (to an extent), and I would get to speak to someone for 5/10mins most days about how I'm feeling and coping. I would go to an art group run by an OT once a week. It was lovely and calming. The nurses would also try to do activities each day, so there was sometimes an exercise class, or relaxation, or crafts. I also made some friends, which really helped me feel better. They also had BPD so it was lovely to have people that understood. However, that being said, it was a very toxic environment. For a period of time, there was an individual who would attempt suicide in various ways multiple times a day (he really should have been on a more secure ward), so we would get shut in our rooms with no timescale as to when we could get out. There was also a patient who "fell in love with me" and then when I rejected him, absolutely freaked and basically had the ward on lockdown. It can be hard to get better in an environment like that. It depends what the reason is for being admitted I guess. I was admitted as a crisis admission, so their only intention was to keep me safe. I haven't been inpatient in a more recovery focussed setting. Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble.

As long as you stay with the NHS and don't go private, then yes your diagnosis follows you. Your medical records will be transferred to your new GP. I personally was referred from one mental health service to the other, but I don't know if that's how it's always done or whether sometimes you would need to go through your GP. Once you have an official diagnosis then you won't need to be re-diagnosed when you move, no.

I am not at university however I know people who have BPD and are at uni. They got support from their uni in various ways, but I think each uni will be different as to what support they can offer. It's definitely worth looking into though. As for DSA, it's worth applying for. The worst that can happen is they can turn you down. Again, from other people's experiences, their unis have been fairly understanding when it comes to academic work, and try their best to get you through the year and help you in whatever way you need.

I live in Scotland and a lot of regions don't even offer DBT (one of the 'best' treatments for BPD). Luckily I now live in one that does. Getting into the system is such a hassle but I'm glad that you're in now!! :biggrin:

Recovery can mean different things to different people. Again, I know people who were diagnosed in the past and after treatment, no longer meet the diagnostic criteria of BPD. They may still have some issues here and there but they no longer have BPD. Other people just learn to live with it and are mostly able to cope when things go wrong, and that, for them, is recovery. It's very individual, but ultimately, people have got to the stage where they no longer have BPD and that, for me, gives me hope. :h:

No need to apologise for the questions, I apologise for how long this reply is! :tongue:
Reply 6
Hi!

I don't have BPD, but I have another PD - obsessive compulsive PD.Treatment wise I have had none there due to me moving country now in the next week, but I am glad to see that you think your treatment plan seems promising.
I was diagnosed with BPD/EUPD when I was 18 after being told I had an immature personality/emerging BPD and depression since I was 14. I'm now 23 and I would consider myself mostly"recovered" from BPD. I was inpatient recently and according to the consultant I have an underlying borderline personality along with Bipolar Disorder, so I guess that's my most recent diagnosis (though I've had many different ones since I was 14).

I've had a variety of treatments over the years including loads of different medication and also therapies - CBT, DBT and EMDR. I did DBT for 18 months when I was 19, and it was literally a life saver. It taught me so much and helped me overcome my impulsive actions, helped me regulate my emotions more effectively and helped me tolerate distress. I would really recommend DBT to anyone with BPD if they can gain access to it. It's really difficult but it's so worth it.

BPD really made me life difficult for so many years - I found it difficult at university, but with support from the uni (and stuff through DSA, which is so important to get if you can), I have finally finished my first year at uni on a course I love. I'm also in a stable relationship which and we have just had our 3 year anniversary, which is epic.

Just out of curiosity, what unit are you being referred to? If you wanna ask me anything you can always PM me, or quote me :smile:
Has anyone had CAT? I don't really want it but basically the choice seems to be CAT or no support at all.
Original post by teaandtoast00
No problem! :h: Yep, I was never told I had any diagnosis (I also have depression and anxiety), despite, like you experienced, being offered help (whether that was therapy/medication/both). Sometimes I think they may have the belief that giving someone a diagnosis can do more harm than good. I can see why - sort of. But I also think that a diagnosis can benefit people. It just depends on the individual and their temperament.

I'm alright thank you! :h: I have mixed feelings about inpatient. I have been inpatient twice (once for a couple of weeks and once for three months). The first time, I didn't find it helpful at all. I was basically ignored by staff the whole time and didn't get any help at all while I was there. The second time, was much more helpful. However, I did 'misbehave' (not the correct word to use but not sure what would be better lol...brain isn't cooperating :redface:) a bit - TW TW TW TW I took an OD while on the ward and also absconded resulting in being brought back by police. TW TW TW TW. The cynical part of me wants to say that because of my actions, they paid me a bit more attention. I had two nurses who were absolutely fantastic. So kind, caring, the 'right' kind of nurse. I still miss them sometimes. Sadly a lot of the other nurses weren't so great. I think they were quite judgemental towards people with BPD (this may be my skewed judgement but I'm not sure). A few of them were just unpleasant to everyone, it was very clear that to them, nursing was a job that pays the bills, nothing more. Being on the ward kept me safe (to an extent), and I would get to speak to someone for 5/10mins most days about how I'm feeling and coping. I would go to an art group run by an OT once a week. It was lovely and calming. The nurses would also try to do activities each day, so there was sometimes an exercise class, or relaxation, or crafts. I also made some friends, which really helped me feel better. They also had BPD so it was lovely to have people that understood. However, that being said, it was a very toxic environment. For a period of time, there was an individual who would attempt suicide in various ways multiple times a day (he really should have been on a more secure ward), so we would get shut in our rooms with no timescale as to when we could get out. There was also a patient who "fell in love with me" and then when I rejected him, absolutely freaked and basically had the ward on lockdown. It can be hard to get better in an environment like that. It depends what the reason is for being admitted I guess. I was admitted as a crisis admission, so their only intention was to keep me safe. I haven't been inpatient in a more recovery focussed setting. Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble.

As long as you stay with the NHS and don't go private, then yes your diagnosis follows you. Your medical records will be transferred to your new GP. I personally was referred from one mental health service to the other, but I don't know if that's how it's always done or whether sometimes you would need to go through your GP. Once you have an official diagnosis then you won't need to be re-diagnosed when you move, no.

I am not at university however I know people who have BPD and are at uni. They got support from their uni in various ways, but I think each uni will be different as to what support they can offer. It's definitely worth looking into though. As for DSA, it's worth applying for. The worst that can happen is they can turn you down. Again, from other people's experiences, their unis have been fairly understanding when it comes to academic work, and try their best to get you through the year and help you in whatever way you need.

I live in Scotland and a lot of regions don't even offer DBT (one of the 'best' treatments for BPD). Luckily I now live in one that does. Getting into the system is such a hassle but I'm glad that you're in now!! :biggrin:

Recovery can mean different things to different people. Again, I know people who were diagnosed in the past and after treatment, no longer meet the diagnostic criteria of BPD. They may still have some issues here and there but they no longer have BPD. Other people just learn to live with it and are mostly able to cope when things go wrong, and that, for them, is recovery. It's very individual, but ultimately, people have got to the stage where they no longer have BPD and that, for me, gives me hope. :h:

No need to apologise for the questions, I apologise for how long this reply is! :tongue:

I really love long replies! Thank you! Sometimes I just start writing and don't realise how long it gets too. haha :tongue: Yeah, I think they may have felt like it was best not to inform me but I felt betrayed/ lied to. :/ But yeah definitely depends on the individual/ person.

I'm sorry that you had a mixed time :frown:. I find it shocking that you were able to OD whilst on the ward how little did they pay attention to their patients?!?? But I'm sorry that you did that. :frown: I am really glad that you found some good nurses. But yeah, I can imagine there were some cold ones. Yeah, I feel like people don't view BPD seriously sometimes :/. I was talking to my friend on the phone after the appointment and I told her my diagnosis and she said that thank god I'm not really ill. :/ like is BPD not serious??? because if I'm being honest I feel like it has somewhat destroyed my life. I know that I don't have a schizophrenia, and I hate comparisons between illnesses but different people tolerate different things. (sorry semi rant) I'm really glad there were some positives to your time in inpatient. Oh that does sound toxic. :/ That sounds really frustrating, and I can only imagine how you dealt with the patient who you rejected. :/ That must have been stressful.

Okay that makes sense! Thanks for informing me how it goes!

Oh that's good to know! With my uni they've been quite supportive (after going back and forth and having to get evidence etc etc)

Ahh okay, that's good that you get the treatment then!! :smile: :smile: :h:

I see. I really hope one day I don't fit the diagnostic criteria! That would be so good. That's amazing though! Wow, there is hope <3 :biggrin: :h:
Original post by Airmed
Hi!

I don't have BPD, but I have another PD - obsessive compulsive PD.Treatment wise I have had none there due to me moving country now in the next week, but I am glad to see that you think your treatment plan seems promising.

I thought had replied to this one! (sorry if you get two quotes)
Do you think you'll get treatment once in your new country then?
And thank you :smile:
Heya SmallTownGirl,

I've been trying to get assessed for a while but I've given up. The person in question is the best judge at knowing if something is wrong and I know that my problems extend beyond Depression but alas getting people to listen to you is hard; they assume things rather than listen to you. Plus the 3 month wait between sessions just made me give up since it felt like I was going nowhere slowly. Since I'm moving up north for uni I'll try again to be assessed for a personality disorder I know I have.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
I've been trying to get assessed for a while but I've given up. The person in question is the best judge at knowing if something is wrong and I know that my problems extend beyond Depression but alas getting people to listen to you is hard; they assume things rather than listen to you. Plus the 3 month wait between sessions just made me give up since it felt like I was going nowhere slowly. Since I'm moving up north for uni I'll try again to be assessed for a personality disorder I know I have.

Yeah don't give up trying to get an assessment. Are you already seeing a psychiatrist? Have you asked your GP for a referral to secondary mental health services?
Wow that's amazing that you've recovered! Do you think your diagnosis will change again? What does recovery mean to you?

Will definitely ask about DBT to my psychiatrist. I'm glad it helped you massively.

Really glad your life is looking good for you :smile:

I'll PM you the unit! :smile:

To be honest I've gone from BPD to Bipolar to Schizoaffective back to BPD and Bipolar with dissociation, anxiety, depression and other stuff all thrown in - so I would put money on it changing again! The Drs have said I'm very complex and different to diagnose so I wouldn't be suprise if it changes.

Recovery means a lot of things to me. I guess the most basic thing is feeling better but it's more than that. For me it was about finding out what I wanted in life and defining my own recovery goals. Like I decided I want to be a Social Worker, so part of my recovery is achieving steps towards that - like going to uni. To me it was also about coping with my symptoms better and finding my own ways around this - rather than being told what to do by professionals. There's so much more I just can't think at the mo haha. But yeah - for me it's complicated. I firmly believe in the recovery model of mental health, and personally, even though I've talked a bit about it - I find labels unhelpful. I prefer talking about how I feel and what I'm experiencing - I don't care so much what box people put me into. But yeah (I do appreciate that diagnoses can have positive effects).

Thank you :smile:
Yeah don't give up trying to get an assessment. Are you already seeing a psychiatrist? Have you asked your GP for a referral to secondary mental health services?

I've been on and off with my health centre because I hadn't found their efforts to be satisfactory. For example I was passed from doctor to doctor during assessments and I kept having to redo assessments. Recently I was seeing a new doctor and after seeing him and having to redo the same assessment I'd done before and getting nothing out of it I just grew fed up with it during my 3 month wait until my next appointment where I had lost the energy to pursue my mental state. I decided to leave it until I go to university in which case I'll start again with new people.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
I've been on and off with my health centre because I hadn't found their efforts to be satisfactory. For example I was passed from doctor to doctor during assessments and I kept having to redo assessments. Recently I was seeing a new doctor and after seeing him and having to redo the same assessment I'd done before and getting nothing out of it I just grew fed up with it during my 3 month wait until my next appointment where I had lost the energy to pursue my mental state. I decided to leave it until I go to university in which case I'll start again with new people.

Yeah university can definitely be a good place to get treatment. Its a shame that things haven't gone well with you but keep fighting. I hope you don't decline whilst waiting for university to start.
Original post by bullettheory
To be honest I've gone from BPD to Bipolar to Schizoaffective back to BPD and Bipolar with dissociation, anxiety, depression and other stuff all thrown in - so I would put money on it changing again! The Drs have said I'm very complex and different to diagnose so I wouldn't be suprise if it changes.

Recovery means a lot of things to me. I guess the most basic thing is feeling better but it's more than that. For me it was about finding out what I wanted in life and defining my own recovery goals. Like I decided I want to be a Social Worker, so part of my recovery is achieving steps towards that - like going to uni. To me it was also about coping with my symptoms better and finding my own ways around this - rather than being told what to do by professionals. There's so much more I just can't think at the mo haha. But yeah - for me it's complicated. I firmly believe in the recovery model of mental health, and personally, even though I've talked a bit about it - I find labels unhelpful. I prefer talking about how I feel and what I'm experiencing - I don't care so much what box people put me into. But yeah (I do appreciate that diagnoses can have positive effects).

Thank you :smile:

That's quite a number of different diagnosis'!
Ah I can imagine what you mean about coping with symptoms better. That's good that you found a goal and stuck to it. Yeah reading into the recovery model it sounds really good tbh,, better than just managing symptoms but really wholesome tbh. Mnn, yeah, I do think labels can be unhelpful at times and bring stigma definitely however yeah I agree in understanding them you can learn more about ones condition.
I first found out that my GP had wrote that she thought I had it on my notes as I saw the computer screen once when I was with her. I was diagnosed officially in january with BPD and symptoms of PTSD too. Been on a waiting list since then and got an assessment in a few weeks.

also, i am at university.... I took some time out but im going back now
Original post by Jenx301
I first found out that my GP had wrote that she thought I had it on my notes as I saw the computer screen once when I was with her. I was diagnosed officially in january with BPD and symptoms of PTSD too. Been on a waiting list since then and got an assessment in a few weeks.

also, i am at university.... I took some time out but im going back now

heya sweet, thanks for your reply :smile:! totally relate with the not knowing diagnosis thing (although at the time it was depression), I hope your assesement goes well!!! :smile: Ahh, my appointment got moved back 2x and by months lool but I am so glad that I got there in the end. and I hope you are too xxx :smile:
Reply 19
I thought had replied to this one! (sorry if you get two quotes)
Do you think you'll get treatment once in your new country then?
And thank you :smile:

Hopefully I do get treatment. Praying that they can find the right one.

Quick Reply

Latest