The Student Room Group

Speed Distance Time for Dummies

Scroll to see replies

it doesn't seem to come out exactly which is unusual.

A = 1 1/14 hrs
B = 1 2/14 hrs

A + B = 2 3/14 hrs = 2 6/28
T = 1 3/4 hrs = 1 21/28

A + B + T = 1 27/28 hrs = 1 hrs 58 minutes (rounded)

I think :wink:

Although you are from the calculator generations fractions can be faster if you need to do it in your head sometimes :wink:
Reply 521
Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how the miles per minute method works when working out time? I have been using the fraction method but feel this might be a quicker way to working time questions out.
Reply 522
Original post by Old_Simon
Lol. You have to do this for real, upside down, pulling 6g, and doing 500 knots in an aircraft that cost the tax payer tens of millions of pounds. Ok the Q above ( these need to be done in your head in seconds if you ever want to sit in a military aircraft)

In the first hour we do 210 miles. We subtract that from 392 so we have 182 miles to run. What is 182/210? We notice immediately that both 182 and 210 are divisible by 14 conveniently giving us 13/15. 1/15 of one hour takes 4 minutes. We burn fuel at 135 kgs an hour and we notice immediately by inspection 135 is divisible by 15 giving us 9.
13 x 9 = 117 kgs. So in total we burn 210 + 117 kgs of fuel.
Simples. :wink:

Should this not be 135 + 117kgs?
Hi guys. I cant quite work this on out. Thanks for help in advance.

You travel 61 miles in 1 hour and 5 minutes. What is your speed?
Reply 524
A car travels at a speed of 47 mph how far would it travel in 6 hours
Am I being really stupid? or is there no results sheet?
Reply 526
If am walking at 6mph, how far would I have travelled in 1hour and 40 mins?
8. 6 miles to an hour, cut 6 into 3 and 60 into 3, makes 2 miles per 20 minutes.

6 miles per hour plus 2 miles In 20 minutes = 8 miles in 1.40 hours
Hi all,

In regards to the CBAT, going by the examples on the very first page - are these similar examples to what 'could' pop up in the Aptitude tests? I appreciate that it could and can change.

Thanks.
Reply 529
Original post by Mighty Tundra
8. 6 miles to an hour, cut 6 into 3 and 60 into 3, makes 2 miles per 20 minutes.

6 miles per hour plus 2 miles In 20 minutes = 8 miles in 1.40 hours

Surely it's 10 miles. 6 miles per hour, so 2 miles per 20 mins. It's 1 hour 40 mins So 10 miles?
Indeed 10, had the formula just barreled myself with the answer!
Morning all,

With my CBAT date looming, i've been using this website - http://www.speeddistancetime.info/ for my SDT and fuel consump. calcs and struggling. Can I expect similar for the CBAT?
Original post by 0902
Morning all,

With my CBAT date looming, i've been using this website - http://www.speeddistancetime.info/ for my SDT and fuel consump. calcs and struggling. Can I expect similar for the CBAT?

Sunday 6th?

My friend just recently went for his and told me the equations are not massive, it is just a test to see how quickly and precisely you can come up with the answers.
Original post by Mighty Tundra
Sunday 6th?

My friend just recently went for his and told me the equations are not massive, it is just a test to see how quickly and precisely you can come up with the answers.

Yes mate, 6-7th Sep.

Ok thank you, having looked at the OASC website reference those practise questions; some left me stumped massively which is of course a massive concern to me.
I just wanted to say a massive thank you to Q_M for showing a really easy way to work out speed and time and Lady Venom for the easy way in the comments to work out distance. You've both helped me no end in prepping for my CBAT! Q_M thank you as well for the huge amount of practice questions you've uploaded!
Original post by Q_M

You burn 25kgs of fuel per minute. How much fuel do you burn per hour?

Should be kg, not kgs. You don't add s onto units to indicate plurality because it is too easily confused with multiplying by seconds.
Hey guys

Does anybody know of any examples based on the below scenario?

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.two.trains.html

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Reply 537
Mary cycles at 15mph for 1 1/2 hours. How far does she cycle?
Reply 538
22.5mph Uggyboo.
Is this a realistic question expected to be worked out mentally on the CBAT?

You travel 377 NM. How much fuel will you need if you burn 30 kgs per minute, and are travelling at 870 kts?

Quick Reply

Latest