The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xace28x
I have an odd case, and wondered if anyone can help.

For AS Maths this year, I was entered for C1, C2, S1 and M1 (I asked not to be entered for M1 as I knew I was **** at it, but was told I had to do the exam as I had done all the teaching for it). I came out with CCCU as the module grades (the U being M1), however for the AS sections UCAS only have room for 3 modules, and my AS had 4. I'm taking either D1 or S2 to, in effect, overwrite the M1 grade.

What should I do about UCAS? Am I okay to not declare M1(as my school advised), as it will not count towards my final qualification, or would I be accused of lying if the Uni's contacted Edexcel? Help please!

It depends a bit where you have applied to, but my understanding is that generally you only have to quote your AS grade and you don't need to mention units so it is fine not to mention M1. Also, my understanding is that UCAS can only see cashed-ion grades so would not be able to see the M1 unit.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No prob!

:smile:
Reply 62
See the first post of this thread.

I did, and although it says declare everything, there physically isn't room on UCAS to put 4 modules for AS in, hence the query :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by Holmstock
You might be OK with this, since Maths is different to other subjects. Did you get a certificate for the AS? If so, then I presume that the exam board automatically counted the S1 since it was better than M1?

As you say, there are only three modules for the AS. I'd be interested to see what others advise on this one.

Edit: am I right to assume that in June 2016 you'll take only C3, C4 and either D1 or S2? I.e., you are not taking further maths?

Yeah, on my results slip, M1 was recorded, but not counted for the cash-in as I was awarded a C overall. Yeah, I'm not doing Further - I'm resitting C1, C2 and S1, and taking C3, C4 and another applied module, thus I wasn't sure if I needed to record M1, and if so, how I'd go about putting it down as an AS. If I was resitting M1, I'd understand the issue, but it will be completely discounted by the end of it. Maths is a bit of a strange one! Thank you :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Compost
It depends a bit where you have applied to, but my understanding is that generally you only have to quote your AS grade and you don't need to mention units so it is fine not to mention M1. Also, my understanding is that UCAS can only see cashed-ion grades so would not be able to see the M1 unit.

Yeah, as it wasn't cashed-in, I was a bit unsure. Didn't know UCAS could only see the cash-in grades though - so the Uni's would never directly contact the exam board to check if I'm telling the truth? I have enough modules to make up the AS, so can't see it being an issue, although the start of this thread freaked me out a bit, hence I checked! Thank you :smile:
Reply 65
Maths is difficult in this respect. I'll quote in some knowledgeable people here:

@Compost @TenOfThem @gdunne42 I'd tag in Mr M, but for some reason the tagging thing won't work for him.

Thanks for this - I seriously appreciate everyone's help! :biggrin:
Reply 66
I did AS maths and futher maths. In further, although I got an A overall, I messed up FP1 and got a C in that paper. How do I go about saying I want to retake only that module? Also is it worth putting in module grades since I want to do engineering and, although all other modules in other subjects were As, getting a C in a pure maths module is pretty crap for a mathsy degree.
Original post by aalipie
I did AS maths and futher maths. In further, although I got an A overall, I messed up FP1 and got a C in that paper. How do I go about saying I want to retake only that module? Also is it worth putting in module grades since I want to do engineering and, although all other modules in other subjects were As, getting a C in a pure maths module is pretty crap for a mathsy degree.

Put down achieved grades and then the retakes as pending. If you put in only some module scores and not all, it makes it obvious that you are hiding poor ones. All or none is the rule where I work, with referees mentioning full marks in a module in the reference.
Reply 68
Put down achieved grades and then the retakes as pending. If you put in only some module scores and not all, it makes it obvious that you are hiding poor ones. All or none is the rule where I work, with referees mentioning full marks in a module in the reference.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to me to put module grades in considering I only got one non-A grade? Or is the C in FP1 something I really need to hide and therefore I would put no module grades in.
Original post by aalipie
Do you think it would be more beneficial to me to put module grades in considering I only got one non-A grade? Or is the C in FP1 something I really need to hide and therefore I would put no module grades in.

Did you get marks at the top of the range? If not, there's no point in putting them in. It's a judgement call, tbh. If the tale is of uniformly high achievement and one blip, it tells a different story to run of the mill achievement and a blip.I have no knowledge of the maths required in engineering, so I don't know if the blip in that module would send out alarm bells or if it's not really relevant.
Reply 70
Did you get marks at the top of the range? If not, there's no point in putting them in. It's a judgement call, tbh. If the tale is of uniformly high achievement and one blip, it tells a different story to run of the mill achievement and a blip.I have no knowledge of the maths required in engineering, so I don't know if the blip in that module would send out alarm bells or if it's not really relevant.

Okay, thanks for your help :smile:

Do you not have to put module info in? Atleast the main post seems to imply so?
Original post by Rabadon
Do you not have to put module info in? Atleast the main post seems to imply so?

You don't have to put the modules down, but the advice is that you should, and as we said, it's all nor none. TBH I was thinking of UMS, which certainly isn't compulsory and not advisable if they aren't all good. Letter grades are better.
You will need to inform all the universities you applied to that your application has changed. Any offers you have received could be revoked, because you have changed the terms of your application.

Ohh and how would I inform them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
Ohh and how would I inform them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Via Ucas and then contacting the universities. In fact, if this is something you are thinking of doing, you'd be well advised to call them before dropping it.
Via Ucas and then contacting the universities. In fact, if this is something you are thinking of doing, you'd be well advised to call them before dropping it.

No, I have put on my UCAS application that I want to resit GCSE chemistry and Physics on June , I haven't submit it yet, but I am scared that I would be under a huge pressure for June examinations and would drop the resit, so that's why I am asking beforehand

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
I need some help, I am trying to add my predicted grades, but it doesn't work ! http://prntscr.com/8j7vnd Tell me, how to add my predicted final grades for 12th grade ? I am from EU
Original post by SarunasM
I need some help, I am trying to add my predicted grades, but it doesn't work ! http://prntscr.com/8j7vnd Tell me, how to add my predicted final grades for 12th grade ? I am from EU
You can't add your predicted grade/s - your referee has to do that in a different part of the application form. In the section you are working in now, you need to enter the title of the qualification in question and put the grade as 'pending'
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Minerva
You can't add your predicted grade/s - your referee has to do that in a different part of the application form. In the section you are working in now, you need to enter the title of the qualification in question and put the grade as 'pending'

Hello,

Apparently I was able to add the grades, it just said, that they are added to the future date, is it bad if I added grade myself ? Will my referee be able to add more grades ? Should I remove the grades then ? Or is it okay if I leave them be ?
Original post by SarunasM
Hello,

Apparently I was able to add the grades, it just said, that they are added to the future date, is it bad if I added grade myself ? Will my referee be able to add more grades ? Should I remove the grades then ? Or is it okay if I leave them be ?
You must not enter predicted grades yourself. Only your referee can do it. Remove the grades you've entered and leave them as 'pending'.

Latest

Trending

Trending