The Student Room Group

Sim only

Hi everyone

I'm sort of new here let me introduce myself my name is Rebecca and I'm a master health psychology graduate.
I'm currently trying to save for my doctorate by starting my own business offering student deals from Virgin media, BT and First Utility.

I'm currently pondering whether I should be offering SIM only contracts to my fellow students but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested, so I've come to pick your brains!

Do people really want SIM only contracts, instead of phone ones? I want to know you opinion do you have one and why?

Let me know thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I am not really sure about whether people would want Sim-only or not. I personally think they are great, but it depends on whether your clients want the latest phone without paying upfront.

For most users, there is money to be saved on paying upfront for a phone, then getting a Sim-only contract, although not everyone is aware of the savings they could make, and it depends on being able to afford to pay upfront.

I would never take out a 24-month phone contract, like any type of finance you normally end up paying more in the end. A lot of people do take them out though.
I agree in that the best value for money would be to pay for the phone outright and get a SIM Only deal. Yes, the latest phones will cost a lot of money, but contracts can be upwards of £30 per month for the latest phones. Plus you're tied in for 24 months.

Plus, going SIM Only can also mean more flexibility - for example, if you get a 1-month SIM Only deal, you can switch to another provider at any time if required.

Further, if you go for SIM Only, then you won't feel compelled to buy a new phone after 2 years, especially when your older phone still works perfectly well. Hence you'll be saving even more money.

I took my phone out on SIM Only and IMO, it was the best decision. Not only am I not tied into a long contract, paying quite a lot of money a month - but also I have had the flexibility of trying out different providers - e.g. for speed testing/streaming media testing/using promotion SIMs with shedloads of data etc etc.
Reply 3
I think a couple of years ago it was good to do sim only but after doing it with the iPhone 5, I no longer feel it's worth it.

Today's smartphones seem to be draining battery like an open tap after 18-20 months and with the sim only deals, you only really start saving money after 24 months. I.e. the longer you keep the phone, the lower the average monthly cost.

I think the iPhone 5 after 30 months averaged me £23/month with 3 gb data and unlimited texts and calls but this was only because I got a cut price deal on gumtree (still believe that it was somehow a stolen phone lol), it would've worked out at £29 a month average cost.

Now I pay £39 a month for a 24 month contract and I think the fact that my bank won't be -£700 straight away means it won't hit the bank savings so hard.

I'd consider getting sim only again in a few years if tech companies improve the life of the phone, but I feel they want your phone to go crap after 24 months so that you buy a new one!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending