The Student Room Group

Hedge Funds

So I'm in year 12 at the moment doing Maths, Physics and Economics having got very good GCSE grades. My aim is to work in finance and I was curious how to get into a career at a Hedge Fund. What are the steps required and how can I get ahead of the game?

Any help would be huge, thanks in advance!!

Scroll to see replies

Trade real money, bonus if you actually make money.
Reply 2
Original post by hihihihihi
Trade real money, bonus if you actually make money.

So start to trade now? I have been given some shares in prudential but that is the limit of my portfolio. is there anything you would recommend trading?
Original post by jakepds
So I'm in year 12 at the moment doing Maths, Physics and Economics having got very good GCSE grades. My aim is to work in finance and I was curious how to get into a career at a Hedge Fund. What are the steps required and how can I get ahead of the game?

Any help would be huge, thanks in advance!!

2 options:
Get into Oxbridge/LSE, get great extra curriculars, land a brand name internship in banking, sales+trading or asset management at a top bank, apply for the HFs that recruit out of undergrad.

Or

Get into a target (preferably) or semi-target, apply to spring weeks, convert to a summer internship, convert to a grad scheme, do 2-4 years at a top bank in IB or Trading or Research or Asset Management, use HF headhunters to lateral out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jakepds
So start to trade now? I have been given some shares in prudential but that is the limit of my portfolio. is there anything you would recommend trading?

You could also trade currencies and derivatives which is what most hedge funds would trade on a day to day and intraday basis.

If you do trade, go for spread trading / spread-betting because it's tax free.
what is a hedge fund? :colondollar:
Original post by nucdev
You could also trade currencies and derivatives which is what most hedge funds would trade on a day to day and intraday basis.

If you do trade, go for spread trading / spread-betting because it's tax free.

Wouldn't recommend derivs to a noob, they'll get screwed. And spread betting is a massive no.

Just stick to virtual portfolios in vanilla products for now, then step it up to real money once you have enough to play with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jakepds

Try demo first, plus500 is great for that. It is a demo so you can try trading anything.
Original post by CoolCavy

Like a city trading investment fund. People give them money and they invest it and take a cut off profits and charge fees.
Original post by United1892
Like a city trading investment fund. People give them money and they invest it and take a cut off profits and charge fees.

oh ok thanks for explaining! :h: i thought op was saving up to buy a hedge :colondollar:

A fund (usually offshore for tax avoidance) consisting of investors and high net-worth individuals assets with the aims of growing by investing in a wide variety of securities.
oh ok thanks for explaining! :h: i thought op was saving up to buy a hedge :colondollar:

I thought it was a gardening company when I first heard the word :lol:
Reply 12
Original post by Princepieman
Wouldn't recommend derivs to a noob, they'll get screwed. And spread betting is a massive no.

Just stick to virtual portfolios in vanilla products for now, then step it up to real money once you have enough to play with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's true. I should have added that he should start with a demo account. I was a completely newbie when I started with derivatives and spread betting though, but I used a few demo accounts to learn before going for real money and made a few bob. Went for "vanilla" products afterwards.

Having said that, a lot depends on how quickly one learns and psychology as well.
Original post by United1892
I thought it was a gardening company when I first heard the word :lol:

LOOOOL, tbf, so did I.
LOOOOL, tbf, so did I.

I was like... What a gardening firm owns Coventry City!

Then it was explained.
Reply 15
2 options:
Get into Oxbridge/LSE, get great extra curriculars, land a brand name internship in banking, sales+trading or asset management at a top bank, apply for the HFs that recruit out of undergrad.

Or

Get into a target (preferably) or semi-target, apply to spring weeks, convert to a summer internship, convert to a grad scheme, do 2-4 years at a top bank in IB or Trading or Research or Asset Management, use HF headhunters to lateral out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would be considered a target.

I have always thought that Warwick would be a great uni to go to, and I've heard its amazing.

I guess economics would be the right degree, or should I think about doing something different?
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is a "vanilla product"?
Surely me trading a few thousand £ of whatever won't make a blind bit of difference to whether a company would hire me or not?
Original post by jakepds
What would be considered a target.

I have always thought that Warwick would be a great uni to go to, and I've heard its amazing.

I guess economics would be the right degree, or should I think about doing something different?

Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and UCL are targets
Reply 18
Original post by gr8wizard10
Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and UCL are targets

Okay, no other out of London unis are targets?
Of course Warwick and Oxbridge appeal but all the London unis are too close to where I live. They are also half foreign and I don't know if that would detract from the experience.
What subject would I have to do at uni?
Someone mentioned semi targets, what are they?
Original post by jakepds
Okay, no other out of London unis are targets?
Of course Warwick and Oxbridge appeal but all the London unis are too close to where I live. They are also half foreign and I don't know if that would detract from the experience.
What subject would I have to do at uni?
Someone mentioned semi targets, what are they?

Start trading forex. LSE or Oxbridge. Do economics degree.

Quick Reply

Latest