The Student Room Group

A second Access to HE course?

I completed an Access course a few years back but it isn't what I want to do with my life and I cannot use it to get onto my chosen degree. Plus I want to go back and achieve better. Has anybody ever completed a second access course? I was wondering if there were any problems or were the college ok with you having already completed one.
I don't suppose a college would want to stop you if you're motivated enough and can afford to pay for it. No idea, though, whether you could get another A24+ loan (or equivalent funding) if you've already had one to fund the first Access course you did.

If you need to do another Access course to be competitive for the type of degree course you now want to do, fair enough, but I'd suggest that doing it again simply to improve on the results you got the first time around isn't really worth it. I believe that plenty of people who don't particularly excel at L3 (A-Levels or Access) can pick their game up during a degree and get a far better class of degree than their L3 results might have forecast they would. Once you get to that stage, the degree itself is the important thing, not how many distinctions you got on an Access course.
Reply 2
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
I don't suppose a college would want to stop you if you're motivated enough and can afford to pay for it. No idea, though, whether you could get another A24+ loan (or equivalent funding) if you've already had one to fund the first Access course you did.

If you need to do another Access course to be competitive for the type of degree course you now want to do, fair enough, but I'd suggest that doing it again simply to improve on the results you got the first time around isn't really worth it. I believe that plenty of people who don't particularly excel at L3 (A-Levels or Access) can pick their game up during a degree and get a far better class of degree than their L3 results might have forecast they would. Once you get to that stage, the degree itself is the important thing, not how many distinctions you got on an Access course.

I didn't have a loan for my last course because I was only 19, would have to apply this year as I'll be 24 so would that class as my first? And I only want to improve my grades as you have to have so many at distinction or merit and I'm off by a few.
Fair enough. Not 100% sure about your eligibility for the Advanced 24+ loan, but my feeling is that you would be. Obviously that's something you need to check.

Second thing is to do a self-appraisal and work out what you can do better this time to get those better grades that you need. No point repeating the mistakes you made the first time around. But you know roughly what to expect this time, so that's a great headstart.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending