The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
Why is that?

It's not just Scotland - it's Wales and NI too. Essentially it's a political decision to prevent league tables being produced. While there are plenty of arguments against league tables (for instance, that they aren't a true reflection of a school's performance and that they focus too much attention on exams at the expense of understanding), the upshot is that universities and (more importantly) parents are prevented from knowing how schools are performing compared to other local and schools and on a national level.
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
Hi, I'm applying for compsci. I'm a bit worried about having to sit the csat considering that there aren't many sample questions available to practice with. If I did very poorly in the exam, will I still have a chance of getting an offer?
Thank you very much!

This is the first year for the CSAT and I think that colleges will generally be cautious about the results it produces until we have data which shows how it correlates with performance in Cambridge. Providing your other parts of the application are strong, you will still have a good chance of an offer whatever happens in the CSAT I would think.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
It's not just Scotland - it's Wales and NI too. Essentially it's a political decision to prevent league tables being produced. While there are plenty of arguments against league tables (for instance, that they aren't a true reflection of a school's performance and that they focus too much attention on exams at the expense of understanding), the upshot is that universities and (more importantly) parents are prevented from knowing how schools are performing compared to other local and schools and on a national level.

OK thank you. Thought it must be something like that.
I understand some people (mainly teachers....) are not very keen on league tables, but it really does incentivise some teachers and students to work harder to do well and makes schools more accountable. (probably who oppose the league table would argue it does it in a wrong way.....)
Original post by vincrows
OK thank you. Thought it must be something like that.
I understand some people (mainly teachers....) are not very keen on league tables, but it really does incentivise some teachers and students to work harder to do well and makes schools more accountable. (probably who oppose the league table would argue it does it in a wrong way.....)

As a character on an old British TV programme now reinvented by the Americans would say: 'You might very well say that, I couldn't possibly comment!' :smile:
Hello again all. Before term starts at Cambridge next week, I am running a short version of my 'Ask an Admissions Tutor' threads this week in advance of the application deadline of 15 October. Please post your questions about applications to Cambridge below and I will answer them as soon as possible.

Hello!

I was just wondering if I would be illegible to apply for history when my UMS is in the 80's and history is in the 90's? I know the requirement is roughly 90 but I only received that in one of my AS's otherwise I received 4 A's in total with a UMS of 85 and above.

Thank you very much!
As a character on an old British TV programme now reinvented by the Americans would say: 'You might very well say that, I couldn't possibly comment!' :smile:

LOL it says it all! :biggrin:
Original post by Melissa C
Hello!

I was just wondering if I would be illegible to apply for history when my UMS is in the 80's and history is in the 90's? I know the requirement is roughly 90 but I only received that in one of my AS's otherwise I received 4 A's in total with a UMS of 85 and above.

Thank you very much!

Hello and thank you for your question. Very high UMS does increase one's chances of an offer but it is certainly still possible to get an offer with an average in the high 80s, especially if your History score is your strongest. It is important to be realistic but there is absolutely no harm in being ambitious and if we feel that you have sufficient potential across the whole of your application then there is no reason why you wouldn't get an offer.
Hello and thank you for your question. Very high UMS does increase one's chances of an offer but it is certainly still possible to get an offer with an average in the high 80s, especially if your History score is your strongest. It is important to be realistic but there is absolutely no harm in being ambitious and if we feel that you have sufficient potential across the whole of your application then there is no reason why you wouldn't get an offer.

Thank you very much!!
My school does not produce an overall transcript for me as our school always set the tests in a very tough manner and students' grades are always quite ugly (sometimes with no students getting A/B), and our teacher asked me to upload the forecast results as the official transcript, and I have to do so. Btw, zero cambridge applications in the past few years and my teacher actually does not believe that I could get into at all. Am I disadvantaged because of this even though I got straight A for my forecast results? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, they are though we have less data on Scottish schools than we do on English ones and the Scottish government refuse to release exam data. We do still have quite a lot of data and lack of Oxbridge offers from your school would appear as a flag. It would be good if the school could give us some details about themselves in the reference.

Thanks for the reply, I'll make sure my referee includes this information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Runner0204
Thanks for the reply, I'll make sure my referee includes this information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is *some* data but it's not ranked as far as I can tell.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/how-well-your-kids-school-5407127
Reply 651
I've heard that questions based on evolution is popular in biological nat sci interviews, is this true?
Do all pooled applicants get looked over and considered again by colleges or only as much the admissions tutors have time for?
Thanks!
Reply 652
Hello, thanks for taking your time to create the thread :smile:

I have a quick question, I am applying for mathematics but I am sitting the Oxford MAT due to an application for a different uni. If I achieve highly in this should I email the admission team this information, as it would benefit my application? The exam is on the 4th of November, so if I do obtain a good result, I will most likely not know till around the 15th.

Thanks again :smile: :smile:
Reply 653
Hi there, so I would like to apply to do architecture which has the A*AA requirement. However with a disaster of my AS results I'm not sure it is worth it.

Predicted A2:
Art A*
Physics A
Chemistry A

AS results:
Maths C -69.3% ums
Physics B -79.3% ums
Chemistry B -78.3% ums
Art A -96% ums
-average of all 4 = 80.7%
-average of 3 taking to A2 = 84.5%
Retaking 3 modules in AS chemistry and 2 modules in AS Physics

Lots of work experience as well..

Would it be worth it would you reckon?
Hello, I would like to ask my question again as I think it was missed out previously.
I would like to ask for some advice regarding filling in the SAQ.

I got 52/60 for my Biology AS coursework (6BI03B) when my bio. teacher predicted me 60/60.
When I received the statement of result, i didn't recognise the importance of UMS.
But as I am filling in the SAQ now, I regret that I didn't ask for my teacher's opinion on whether to get it remarked.

Would you advice me to ask for his opinion (on monday) and put this incident down in a relevant SAQ section as it did potentially reduce 8 UMS? Or do you think it is not worth it and it would seem like i am whining?

Thanks in advance.
Another question regarding the SAQ~~

I have read from previous replies that the general 'I like supervision because..' and 'I would love to study at Cambridge because...', written in the extra sections of the SAQ won't be "relevant to helping us makea decision".

What would be relevant?

Thanks again in advance.
There is unlikely to be any change in form - I think that they might expect you to work through things a little faster than the average candidate from the year below but these things are about how you think & not necessarily what you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks I understand now. Would that mean there is no proper way of preparing or do you have any advice and tips?
That is important contextual information - I can't say how we would deal with it for certain but it is certainly something that I would bring up as needing to be considered in discussion if there was a concern about the UMS for that subject.

Yes, I've read plenty of PSs that have impressed me.

If I may ask, why did they impress you?
Original post by bekinwari
If I may ask, why did they impress you?

The AT earlier today said this in reply to the same question:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3619547&page=32&p=59747725#post59747725

Evidence that the student has reflected on what he/she has read or done is always a good sign.
Original post by jneill
x

Hey, I hope you are well :h:

Was just wondering if you know whether or not it's possible to apply to the same college twice?

(Not sure if Christ's Admissions is still running the thread)

Latest

Trending

Trending