The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollygc123
guess ill cry myself to sleep tonight then....

But why? Pharmacy isn't the career it used to be, with more graduates than jobs, and pay being squeezed? You could still do a science course at a top 10 UK university as a back up.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by King of the Ring
But why? Pharmacy isn't the career it used to be, with more graduates than jobs, and pay being squeezed? You could still do a science course at a top 10 UK university as a back up.

I guess but I want to work in a hospital and hospital pharmacist just seems so perfect for me...Ive looked at the modules in most of the universities and everything appeals to me. Up until about a month ago I wanted to do biomedical science but Ive gone right off that idea....
Ive written my PS for pharmacy I just really want to do it...now i'm completely doubting that I'll get any offers
I know that if unlike last year I actually put the work in then I can get the grades but its the offers i'm worried about.
I feel just so stupid rn for overestimating myself last year and thinking that I could apply with the grades I got

Do you think Nottingham or east anglia would give me offers?
I guess but I want to work in a hospital and hospital pharmacist just seems so perfect for me...Ive looked at the modules in most of the universities and everything appeals to me. Up until about a month ago I wanted to do biomedical science but Ive gone right off that idea....
Ive written my PS for pharmacy I just really want to do it...now i'm completely doubting that I'll get any offers
I know that if unlike last year I actually put the work in then I can get the grades but its the offers i'm worried about.
I feel just so stupid rn for overestimating myself last year and thinking that I could apply with the grades I got

Do you think Nottingham or east anglia would give me offers?

Maybe you could do a BSc in a Science subject, and then a masters/PhD in a medical school? This could lead to a career in medical research at a place like UCL?

Nottingham will want ABB or better. East Anglia may take BBB.
Maybe you could do a BSc in a Science subject, and then a masters/PhD in a medical school? This could lead to a career in medical research at a place like UCL?

Nottingham will want ABB or better. East Anglia may take BBB.

Yeah i guess thats an alternative route. So they won't base their opinion on my predicted grades? Like AAB isnt too bad? Or do they want those grades at AS?
Yeah i guess thats an alternative route. So they won't base their opinion on my predicted grades? Like AAB isnt too bad? Or do they want those grades at AS?

They will look at both current and predicted grades. The Russell Group unis are harder to get into for Pharmacy.
They will look at both current and predicted grades. The Russell Group unis are harder to get into for Pharmacy.

Okay, thanks :smile:
I'm going to be starting at UCL next week and am currently down to study Electrical/Electronic engineering. But I've also contacted the Physics department to see if they accept transfers and they aid this shouldn't be an issue, just to come see someone in the department when I arrive for induction next week.

I'm still trying to decide which one I'd rather study between the two as I much prefer Physics but engineering takes both the higher ranking at UCL and better employment prospects which is important to me as I don't really see myself doing a PhD, I'd rather go on to work in finance.

Regardless, having already spent a year at another university, I know how important a lot of other factors are now and I'd like to have more time to do some extra study and extra curriculars rather than just work all day and night. At my last uni, it seemed the engineers has a way bigger workload than the physicists but the physics students had harder work. SO, my question is, could any current UCL student's shed some light on whether this is the same case at UCL and which of the two courses I mentioned has more total contact hours and total work hours? As I said, in my experience it seems that although Physics might require longer to revise notes etc since the material is harder, the engineers have a ton of group work/lab reports/projects/problem sheets which clocks up the hours.
Cheers
How is the biochemical engineering course at ucl...beginning next week?!
Does anyone know if you can change from Theoretical Physics MSci to Physics MSci? I know they do this at Imperial but not sure about UCL :/
Original post by physicalgraffiti
Does anyone know if you can change from Theoretical Physics MSci to Physics MSci? I know they do this at Imperial but not sure about UCL :/

Contact the department.
Original post by physicalgraffiti

I'm thinking of switching from EEE to physics (see my previous posts a few up), and when I contacted the admissions tutor he said that even my switch is most likely okay. He went on to say that if I do switch to physics, I can switch to theoretical or astro even in 2nd year as long as I do well enough in the more maths based modules. So I seriously doubt you'll have problems switching from theoretical to regular.

If you have any knowledge and could help me out with mine, that would be great!
What is the interview for Student Ambassador at UCL like ?
Hello,

If I arrive late for the start of the term at UCL, will I have reapply? (Almost 4 weeks after the start of the tem) Is there no chance? :frown:(( Any advice and suggestions will be highly appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nina Z
Hello,

If I arrive late for the start of the term at UCL, will I have reapply? (Almost 4 weeks after the start of the tem) Is there no chance? :frown:(( Any advice and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Ask your course administrator.

Why are you missing so much? You will be pretty behind and not just in terms of lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nina Z
Hello,

Depends if your course monitors attendance.

I would really advise not doing it if you possibly can. You'll miss a lot academically and socially.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Ask your course administrator.

Why are you missing so much? You will be pretty behind and not just in terms of lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both for your replies. I am ill. Need time to fully recover. I know I am missing so much :frown:(((((((((((((((((
Any Biological Sciences students - what examples of relevant work experience did you do before the course began that you put in your PS or elsewhere?
I've applied for PPE, and I sent my application on the 30th of September. Does anyone know how long I should be expecting to wait to hear from UCL? I know that the politics faculty only has this one Undergrad course, should that make a difference?

One uni already responded, but I imagine the rest of my choices will take much longer.
Original post by yuvellen
I've applied for PPE, and I sent my application on the 30th of September. Does anyone know how long I should be expecting to wait to hear from UCL? I know that the politics faculty only has this one Undergrad course, should that make a difference?

One uni already responded, but I imagine the rest of my choices will take much longer.

I was waiting until March for mine (few years back + different course)
Original post by Noodlzzz
I was waiting until March for mine (few years back + different course)

How early did you apply? Should an earlier application have an effect on the time taken for the uni to make a decision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending