The Student Room Group

"Dude, where's my gown?": The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colourtheory
Also great for battering intruders who insist on raiding your kitchen for food... that and you can throw it at your tutors as you run by and hide because their feedback is really abusive

One or two of mine would have thrown something back.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

I don't know what the hell my college tutor would have done if I'd thrown an Exams Reg brick at him. Probably write me a furious email with LOTS OF CAPITALS and copying half the bloody college in :teehee:
Original post by nulli tertius
Thursday of noughth week is the traditional day when undergrads come up. At one time freshers didn't come up any earlier.

Original post by Plagioclase
Did you come up to Oxford today? All of the older years seemed to be moving in today.

That's interesting - at Univ, pretty much everyone moves in on Sunday of 0th (in Michaelmas at least).
So very jealous of everyone back at Ox now. :frown:
Original post by Lucilou101
That's interesting - at Univ, pretty much everyone moves in on Sunday of 0th (in Michaelmas at least).

That is the thing about Oxford. It gives the impression that what is now has always been.
Did you come up to Oxford today? All of the older years seemed to be moving in today.

I actually moved back at the beginning of September for personal reasons and college are usually really good at letting people move in whenever. Move in dates change depending on the college - the idea is we don't all arrive at the same time in Ox and cause chaos ☺️

Hence the hiding!!
Original post by nulli tertius
That is the thing about Oxford. It gives the impression that what is now has always been.

And will be for ever more. :lol:
did anybody else see azeem ward last night at camera? it was 10/10
Curious about something. When I used to zoom in tight over Oxford in Google Maps, it gave a really close zoom-in of (for example) Oxford colleges. Now, on mine, it seems quite limited, the best zoom-in level shows a rather hazy high level image. This is not true of neighbouring towns, Bicester for example shows up in microscopic detail. :confused:

Does anyone else on here get the same effect?

If this is a real thing, what lies behind it I wonder? Have the colleges made a complaint to Google?? :holmes:
Curious about something. When I used to zoom in tight over Oxford in Google Maps, it gave a really close zoom-in of (for example) Oxford colleges. Now, on mine, it seems quite limited, the best zoom-in level shows a rather hazy high level image. This is not true of neighbouring towns, Bicester for example shows up in microscopic detail. :confused:

Does anyone else on here get the same effect?

If this is a real thing, what lies behind it I wonder? Have the colleges made a complaint to Google?? :holmes:

I get a fairly similar thing - I think it's because Google has decided to show the latest photo they have, even if it's not the crispest.
Original post by fluteflute
I get a fairly similar thing - I think it's because Google has decided to show the latest photo they have, even if it's not the crispest.

Not good.

We demand the right to have close-up imagery Google HQ!
Congrats to everyone who matriculated! Hope you didn't manage to break your mortar board or anything!*

*not that I did that, of course :ninja:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Congrats to everyone who matriculated! Hope you didn't manage to break your mortar board or anything!*

I did manage to drop it through the stair-thing we stood on whilst we were having our college picture taken...
I did manage to drop it through the stair-thing we stood on whilst we were having our college picture taken...

Oops! :teehee:
just submitted a *third* maintenance ticket about my radiator breaking (it was fixed for a second time on Friday...)

this is going to be a fun winter
Anyone know what the dress code is for Sunday Hall at St John's?
Original post by medbh4805
just submitted a *third* maintenance ticket about my radiator breaking (it was fixed for a second time on Friday...)

this is going to be a fun winter

Bloody hell! Are there any other rooms in college going spare with a working radiator? If so, maybe you should go and stand in the Domestic Bursar's office and shout at her/him until s/he gives you a new room? :eek:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Anyone know what the dress code is for Sunday Hall at St John's?

Whatever you like (though they get funny about shorts sometimes). Some would go a bit smarter on Sunday. And gown if you have one :smile:

(Make sure you're early, because it can be tricky trying to get seats together if you arrive much after 7pm.)
Original post by fluteflute
Whatever you like (though they get funny about shorts sometimes). Some would go a bit smarter on Sunday. And gown if you have one :smile:

(Make sure you're early, because it can be tricky trying to get seats together if you arrive much after 7pm.)

Cheers! The person I'm going with is new to Oxford (and England) so she had no real clue either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending