The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge University Hospital

Hello!
Could someone please le me know how exactly can I go from Heathrow airpot in London to Addenbrooke's hospital?
Google maps
Reply 2
Ambulance
Original post by FZka
Hello!
Could someone please le me know how exactly can I go from Heathrow airpot in London to Addenbrooke's hospital?

1. Take London Underground (Piccadilly line) to King's Cross/St.Pancras station

2. From king's cross station, take a train (Great Northern) to Cambridge.

3. From Cambridge station, take either bus or taxi to addenbrook.
Reply 4
Original post by vincrows
1. Take London Underground (Piccadilly line) to King's Cross/St.Pancras station

2. From king's cross station, take a train (Great Northern) to Cambridge.

3. From Cambridge station, take either bus or taxi to addenbrook.

Thank you :smile: I was told the national express coach is faster?

And is Parker's piece the same as trumpington park?
Original post by FZka
Thank you :smile: I was told the national express coach is faster?

And is Parker's piece the same as trumpington park?

No idea how long it takes by the coach but I don't think it's as frequent as London Underground + train, so prob it'd depend on the coach's timetable.

No Parker's Piece is in town centre. Never heard of trumpington park. If you mean trumpington park and ride, it's out of town, miles away. (That's where people park a car and ride a bus to town centre. Not a park)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
No idea how long it takes by the coach but I don't think it's as frequent as London Underground + train, so prob it'd depend on the coach's timetable.

No Parker's Piece is in town centre. Never heard of trumpington park. If you mean trumpington park and ride, it's out of town, miles away. (That's where people park a car and ride a bus to town centre. Not a park)

Oh, okay :redface: :redface:

The reason I'm asking about Parker's piece is beacause quoting the universitie's guide it says " From Heathrow: take a National Express coach to Cambridge which stops at
Parkside next to Parker’s Piece (park). Check journey time and ticket costs at www.
nationalexpress.com"

But when I searched the journies on the national express website there was no " parker's piece" option in Cambridge. All it showed was either city centre or trumpington.
Original post by FZka
Oh, okay :redface: :redface:

The reason I'm asking about Parker's piece is beacause quoting the universitie's guide it says " From Heathrow: take a National Express coach to Cambridge which stops at
Parkside next to Parker’s Piece (park). Check journey time and ticket costs at www.
nationalexpress.com"
But when I searched the journies on the national express website there was no " parker's piece" option in Cambridge. All it showed was either city centre or trumpington.

Never used national express coach myself, so absolutely no idea where their stops are in Cambridge, I'm afraid. But Addenbrook is not in the town centre, so it may not be a good idea to follow the university's 'how to get to us' instruction to go to the hospital, anyway. :wink:

Edit : Google map confirmed the instruction I gave you earlier is good, so trust it. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Never used national express coach myself, so absolutely no idea where their stops are in Cambridge, I'm afraid. But Addenbrook is not in the town centre, so it may not be a good idea to follow the university's 'how to get to us' instruction to go to the hospital, anyway. :wink:

Edit : Google map confirmed the instruction I gave you earlier is good, so trust it. :wink:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 9
National Express has the advantage of being direct, and avoiding having to lug your luggage halfway across London on the Tube. Not sure if it's quicker though. The city centre stop is on Parkside (or it was a couple of years ago) so you would then have to get a taxi to Addenbrooke's, or if you walk across to Hills Road you can get the Citi 1 bus. If you get the train you just get a taxi or the Citi 1 from the station (make sure you get it going in the right direction as they stop there on the way into and out of town - you want outwards!)
Original post by FZka
Thank you! :smile:

Original post by Helenia
National Express has the advantage of being direct, and avoiding having to lug your luggage halfway across London on the Tube. Not sure if it's quicker though. The city centre stop is on Parkside (or it was a couple of years ago) so you would then have to get a taxi to Addenbrooke's, or if you walk across to Hills Road you can get the Citi 1 bus. If you get the train you just get a taxi or the Citi 1 from the station (make sure you get it going in the right direction as they stop there on the way into and out of town - you want outwards!)

I checked National Express's website and it says travel from Heathrow to Cambrudge takes between 2 1/2 - more than 3 hrs, which makes travelling by Tube + train quicker and it's cheaper, too. (And more frequent service) You only need one change of train (at kings X) to Cambridge and getting a bus/taxi at Cambridge station is easier than trying to do it in town centre near the coach stop, I think....
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia

Thank you Helenia

I have an off topic question please, what do you advise about wearing for a graduate induction afternoon at the university of Cambridge research institute? I'm uncertain about the dress code.
Reply 12
I checked National Express's website and it says travel from Heathrow to Cambrudge takes between 2 1/2 - more than 3 hrs, which makes travelling by Tube + train quicker and it's cheaper, too. (And more frequent service) You only need one change of train (at kings X) to Cambridge and getting a bus/taxi at Cambridge station is easier than trying to do it in town centre near the coach stop, I think....

That's good news! It means I get more than one option once I arrive and purchase my coachcard at the airpot
Original post by FZka
Thank you Helenia

I have an off topic question please, what do you advise about wearing for a graduate induction afternoon at the university of Cambridge research institute? I'm uncertain about the dress code.

I'd play it safe and go relatively smart - dark skirt/trousers and a smart shirt or top (plus jacket if it's cold!) should be fine. I assume they would have told you if a full suit was required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending