Original post by Mpagtches
Wrong way round mate.

Spoiler

Gip A?
Reply 23
Wrong way round mate.

Spoiler

They had more than one dinner... and variety is the spice of life.
Original post by LexieBug16

I'm personally looking for someone to example what and where the "Schools" are because they are listed on my lecture list as the place to attend but I have no clue where they are!!! :colondollar:

Schools has three Oxford meanings:-

Schools are the examinations you sit at the end of your final year.

The Schools Quadrangle is the heart of the Bodleian Library.because it contains the Schools where lectures were delivered before the late 19th century

The Examination Schools were built to replace the old Schools and is where arts lectures and university examinations take place. The three largest rooms are known as the Writing Schools.

In your case, unless it is an introductory talk about the Bodleian (in which case you should go to the Divinity School in the Schools Quadrangle) you should go the Examination Schools on the High Street between Univ and Merton Street.
Original post by Plagioclase
Gip A?

No.

Gyps are (were?) to be found in Cambridge. Scouts are to be found in Oxford.
Reply 26
Original post by nulli tertius
No.

Gyps are (were?) to be found in Cambridge. Scouts are to be found in Oxford.

Scouts are (these days) Bedders in Cambridge. Gyp Rooms are kitchens. "Gyp" is no longer used for bedders afaik...

http://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/life-at-queens/about-the-college/university/the-jargon

Edit to add: ah hold on, it was a reference by @Plagioclase to "a pig" being the wrong way round... a pig <> gip a

Hahahahahahahaha.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Scouts are (these days) Bedders in Cambridge. Gyp Rooms are kitchens. "Gyp" is no longer used for bedders afaik...

http://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/life-at-queens/about-the-college/university/the-jargon

Edit to add: ah hold on, it was a reference by @Plagioclase to "a pig" being the wrong way round... a pig <> gip a

Hahahahahahahaha.

Gyps and bedders were never synonymous. Bedders were female and gyps were male.
Reply 28
Original post by nulli tertius
Gyps and bedders were never synonymous. Bedders were female and gyps were male.

True. But these days Bedders can be male.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oinks: slang for Piers Gaveston ritual
Original post by jneill

Hahahahahahahaha.

Lol I wasn't thinking of anything that clever, I literally just reversed "A pig"!
'Matriculate' = wear some weird **** for a day then jump in a river (optional)

Matriculate/Matriculation actually is a universal term used by universities all over the world...Though in some places it could also mean 'sixth form'.
Original post by jneill
That's May Morning not Matriculation

No-one actually does that any more.
Original post by returnmigrant
Also :http://www.peetm.com/OxfordTerms.htm

And btw, other Unis have their slang as well. They just aren't as pompous about it as Oxbridge.

Many of these are universal terms (eg BA) and many are actual names (eg Ashmolean) so there isn't any other way to say them.

Also, it's BA and DPhil not B.A. and D.Phil. Oxford uses British not American English. And why is 'Cambridge' the term as opposed to 'The other place'? Who thinks 'Cantab' means 'Canterbury'? It's Cantuar for the latter in Latin.

It's also not entirely accurate. A dean does not just mean ChCh's head. (And in this case the dean is called the dean because he's the head of the church, following the traditional meaning of the word.) Encaenias start on time, not half an hour later as claimed. I'm pretty sure not all fellows are in the governing body but I may be wrong. MCRs are not just for graduate students because undergraduate students are MCR members in their master's year. Not all quads are off limit. Subfusc doesn't have to be with white bow ties. Gown and mortarboard are not included in subfusc.
Aren't finals just any exams that aren't prelims?
Original post by shoshin
"Entz - As in, ‘events’ " :lolwut:

I've always thought entz was a shorthand for entertainments.
Original post by Jooooshy

Collections are not finals, but they are exams.
Original post by LexieBug16
Hey Guys and Girls,

As a fresher I'm finding that one of the things confusing me the most is the Oxford slang. So I thought I'd start a thread where Oxfordians could get together and break down the Oxfordian Language to freshers and potential applicants.

Examples of Oxfordian slang/Phrases:

Bops
Entz
Battels
Sub-Fusc
The Bod
Dean
Porter
Blues

I'm personally looking for someone to example what and where the "Schools" are because they are listed on my lecture list as the place to attend but I have no clue where they are!!! :colondollar:

It's not OXFORDIAN!! It's Oxonian! (It's a bit of a tick of mine) :smile:
Original post by Jooooshy

Finals count towards your end degree classification, usually taken at the end of third year. Collections are waste of time mock exams that everyone loathes and usually gets a crap mark in...
'Matriculate' = wear some weird **** for a day then jump in a river (optional)

I only heard of people jumping into the river at the end of prelims / finals during trashing....

Trashing - where you leave the last exam of the examination series and get pelted with random crap and booze... Usually resulting in drunkeness and daily mail articles

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending