The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I put down I'm resitting 3 A levels but all my offers only require an increased grade in one or two of the A levels, will I still have to resit at least one module in the 3rd A-level?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
If I put down I'm resitting 3 A levels but all my offers only require an increased grade in one or two of the A levels, will I still have to resit at least one module in the 3rd A-level?

You have to inform the universities of what you are intending to do, so if you say you are resitting all three but then change your mind, you have to inform them and be aware that they then have the right to withdraw your offer if they wish. Does that answer your question? I'm unsure if I understood you correctly.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You have to inform the universities of what you are intending to do, so if you say you are resitting all three but then change your mind, you have to inform them and be aware that they then have the right to withdraw your offer if they wish. Does that answer your question? I'm unsure if I understood you correctly.

I think it does?

Basically I'm resitting Further Mathematics (FM), Biology and Chemistry. A couple of my choices said that the Maths I started in year 11 (2012) might not be considered which is why I'm prepared to take some FM modules.

If however, they don't stipulate what subjects the offers have to be from, and so Maths is included, then it was my thought that FM would be unnecessary. I don't like the thought of them potentially withdrawing my offer, though, so I probably will apply to resit at least one module in that situation!
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it does?

Basically I'm resitting Further Mathematics (FM) and Music. A couple of my choices said that the Maths I started in year 11 might not be considered which is why I'm prepared to take some FM modules.

If however, they don't stipulate what subjects the offers have to be from, and so Maths is included, then it was my thought that FM would be unnecessary. I don't like the thought of them potentially withdrawing my offer, though, so I probably will apply to resit at least one module in that situation!

I'm afraid the mysteries of how maths and further maths are worked out is way beyond me, never having had to do it. The bottom line is, if you say you are resitting and the universities make you an offer on the basis of that, you are then in breach of your side of the contract if you don't do what you said. That makes it possible for them to withdraw the offers, on the basis that you aren't the same applicant they made it to. How often they do this, is, of course, an unknowable thing.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm afraid the mysteries of how maths and further maths are worked out is way beyond me, never having had to do it. The bottom line is, if you say you are resitting and the universities make you an offer on the basis of that, you are then in breach of your side of the contract if you don't do what you said. That makes it possible for them to withdraw the offers, on the basis that you aren't the same applicant they made it to. How often they do this, is, of course, an unknowable thing.

Thank you for answering the Q. I'll rather not take the risk. You've been very helpful :smile:.
Thank you for answering the Q. I'll rather not take the risk. You've been very helpful :smile:.

Glad to be of service.
I think it does?

Basically I'm resitting Further Mathematics (FM), Biology and Chemistry. A couple of my choices said that the Maths I started in year 11 (2012) might not be considered which is why I'm prepared to take some FM modules.

As CLR says - if you've said you'll sit exams you have to sit them or you open up the opportunity for universities to amend or withdraw their offers.

If you get offers that only cover 2 of your subjects then sit the exams for the 3rd subject but focus your efforts on the others. Even turning up, writing your name and "I am a fish" 99 times will be fine.
Original post by PQ
As CLR says - if you've said you'll sit exams you have to sit them or you open up the opportunity for universities to amend or withdraw their offers.

If you get offers that only cover 2 of your subjects then sit the exams for the 3rd subject but focus your efforts on the others. Even turning up, writing your name and "I am a fish" 99 times will be fine.

That'd be me for maths.
I am retaking AS modules in Chemistry and Maths, and I am still doing History. In History I am not retaking any AS modules. I have also dropped Physics. Is this how I should leave it?

GCE Advanced LevelChemistry A06/2016OCR(5 modules)History06/2016AQA(4 modules)Mathematics (MEI)06/2016OCR(5 modules)Chemistry AD06/2015OCR(3 modules)Mathematics (MEI)B06/2015OCR(3 modules)Physics AE06/2015AQA(3 modules)
I wrote on my qualification date as 08/15 for the AS instead of 06/15 . Will it make big difference?
Reply 190
do you have to put the ums score for your gcses? is that an option?
Original post by gomc
do you have to put the ums score for your gcses? is that an option?

Nox2
Reply 192
Hiya,
Not sure if this has been asked recently but I'm just entering my qualifications into the UCAS apply site and I'm not sure what to put for my AS subjects for which I am resitting modules. Do I just put my results as they came in June then add the subject again with 'pending' for the units I'm resitting and the overall grade?
any help would be appreciated :smile:
Yes exactly as you said. For example if you did Psychology this year and got an A and a C and retaking the C you put both grades in as 2015 and then you re-enter AS Psychology so you have two and put the A and leave the C blank, put it as 2016 and pending :smile:

So just re-enter as pending as you said and change the year :smile:
Original post by eggpot
Hiya,
Not sure if this has been asked recently but I'm just entering my qualifications into the UCAS apply site and I'm not sure what to put for my AS subjects for which I am resitting modules. Do I just put my results as they came in June then add the subject again with 'pending' for the units I'm resitting and the overall grade?

Yes, you can just add the AS again for August 2016 and leave the result as pending. It's not compulsory (unless the unis state otherwise) to declare module results and indeed which modules you're planning on resitting. If you do wish to do this, just add in your module results leaving the modules you plan to resit as pending on the August 2016 AS, and put all your results in for the August 2015 one.

Just a word of caution - if you are going to declare the module results, it's wise to do this for every subject otherwise the admissions tutors may be a little sceptical.
Reply 195
Okay thanks a lot that's great 😊
Original post by eggpot
Hiya,

See the first post of this thread :smile:
Original post by Hassan55
I did AS Maths at my secondary school (2 years ago) and got a U grade. I am taking maths at college and currently a second year student. I got a grade A at AS level when I did it last year. Do I have to enter the U grade as an AS level under my secondary school and also enter the A grade at my college on UCAS?
I did not receive any as level certificates amongst my gcse ones, does this mean they haven't been "cashed in" , hence do not need to enter them?

Best to check with the exams officer at the secondary school as to whether it was cashed in.
Hi, I have three strong A level grades, however I dropped psychology at AS as my result wasn't so strong (C). I'm worried this grade will hinder my application. Do I need to include it on my UCAS form?
Original post by dewdropdew
Hi, I have three strong A level grades, however I dropped psychology at AS as my result wasn't so strong (C). I'm worried this grade will hinder my application. Do I need to include it on my UCAS form?

You must declare all grades so yes.