The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Applicants for 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by London bae
Did you apply for Econ and management in Oxford? If so, which college? I applied to St Hugh's. And I am also applying to LSE (L101) and UCL (L100), and I have already received offer from Warwick (L100) and KCL (Econ and management)

Yeah, applied for E&M at Hertford College. Congratulations on the current offers and good luck for the rest of the process. I applied for BSc Finance @ LSE
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by iBall
Yeah, applied for E&M at Hertford College. Congratulations on the current offers and good luck for the rest of the process. I applied for BSc Finance @ LSE

Thank you, Good luck for you as well.
Original post by lovecathy
I don't understand it either, honestly. Always assumed I'd at least get to the interview stage - after realising that my LNAT must not have been as bad as I thought it'd be, I don't really see any weak points in my application? I applied to Oriel, too, so it couldn't have been because my college was particulary competitive or something.
Yeah well, not getting over that anytime soon.

Good luck with your interview, though!

Don't be, I'm sure you'll get one as well!
Applied in the first week of October, I think. I'll PM you in a sec :smile:

Honestly, don't beat yourself up about it. They only interview around 45% of applicants, there may have just been one small thing in your PS or something that may have stopped you from getting an interview.

It may have just been that they didn't think you were the sort of person to 'fit in' at Oxbridge (whatever that means). It is a bit of a bull**** reason but apparently it's something they consider.

If you're good enough for UCL you're good enough to be successful in whatever you choose to do.
Hello everyone,
I registered so that I can ask your opinions on something.
I got an offer for Economics and Business with East European studies (the condition is AAA).
The reasons why I would like to go there is because I really like the content of the degree, and the location and reputation of UCL are obviously advantages too.
I wonder, however, what people tend to do after they finish the course (the only information I got online was about several individuals from a few years ago which doesn't really tell me much), what the people and the course are like, etc.
Basically, any opinions and advice would be appreciated.
Original post by randomapplicant6
Hello everyone,
I registered so that I can ask your opinions on something.
I got an offer for Economics and Business with East European studies (the condition is AAA).
The reasons why I would like to go there is because I really like the content of the degree, and the location and reputation of UCL are obviously advantages too.
I wonder, however, what people tend to do after they finish the course (the only information I got online was about several individuals from a few years ago which doesn't really tell me much), what the people and the course are like, etc.
Basically, any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

With a degree from UCL, it wouldn't be too hard to get a job in any industry tbh, provided there's at least a tenuous link to your subject.

In fact, there are many jobs and fields where your degree subject is irrelevant because you will receive further training.
Original post by eddie442
With a degree from UCL, it wouldn't be too hard to get a job in any industry tbh, provided there's at least a tenuous link to your subject.

In fact, there are many jobs and fields where your degree subject is irrelevant because you will receive further training.

Overall this advice has a good message, but resting on the UCL name will get you nothing.

That poster needs to build up a decent CV whilst at uni, or even before uni, to include volunteering, internships (sometimes these are the only way to get into a field - i.e. IB), research projects. Anything. If they do this, and actually look into which opportunities are out there, they'll have much better chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Overall this advice has a good message, but resting on the UCL name will get you nothing.

That poster needs to build up a decent CV whilst at uni, or even before uni, to include volunteering, internships (sometimes these are the only way to get into a field - i.e. IB), research projects. Anything. If they do this, and actually look into which opportunities are out there, they'll have much better chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, but building up a decent CV applies to any university you go to. However, what I mean to say is that a degree from UCL wouldn't hold you back from any job provided you work hard enough.
Applied for Mathematics and Physics on 14th of October. I got 4As 1B(1 mark off an A) at AS and was predicted 3A* 1A. I also got "best in school" and "best in year" certificates from SMC and sat BMO1 today.
I haven't heard back from UCL yet. Any other Maths or Physics applicants? Have you got an offer yet?
Reply 1748
Any offers for History with a European Language?
Offer for Chemistry with Maths :biggrin:
Original post by Hamzy45
Offer for Chemistry with Maths :biggrin:

Congrats!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heisenberg97
Mechanical Engineering anyone?

Nah man not heard anything
Has anyone got offers for natural sciences?
I agree, but building up a decent CV applies to any university you go to. However, what I mean to say is that a degree from UCL wouldn't hold you back from any job provided you work hard enough.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, they were definitely very encouraging and gave me hope. Now I'm nervous I may not get the relevant experience to mention in my CV when the time comes but I guess I should worry more about defending my offer now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by randomapplicant6
Thanks to everyone for the replies, they were definitely very encouraging and gave me hope. Now I'm nervous I may not get the relevant experience to mention in my CV when the time comes but I guess I should worry more about defending my offer now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will have plenty of time to do work experience in the summer after each year. You will be able to find some, don't worry.
I don't understand it either, honestly. Always assumed I'd at least get to the interview stage - after realising that my LNAT must not have been as bad as I thought it'd be, I don't really see any weak points in my application? I applied to Oriel, too, so it couldn't have been because my college was particulary competitive or something.
Yeah well, not getting over that anytime soon.

Good luck with your interview, though!

Don't be, I'm sure you'll get one as well!
Applied in the first week of October, I think. I'll PM you in a sec :smile:

Just had a thought, your LNAT essay could have been the reason for not getting an interview at Oxford. You must've done well in the multiple choice part to get an offer from UCL, but very few LNAT unis ever read the essay you write during the exam. In fact, I think Oxford are the only university that say that they will always read it and use it in the admissions process. Ultimately it's such a small part of your application, it's a shame Oxford weight it as much as they do, but honestly don't beat yourself up over it. The difference in reputation between Oxford and UCL is as small as it gets within UK universities, except of course Oxford and Cambridge.
Just had a thought, your LNAT essay could have been the reason for not getting an interview at Oxford. You must've done well in the multiple choice part to get an offer from UCL, but very few LNAT unis ever read the essay you write during the exam. In fact, I think Oxford are the only university that say that they will always read it and use it in the admissions process. Ultimately it's such a small part of your application, it's a shame Oxford weight it as much as they do, but honestly don't beat yourself up over it. The difference in reputation between Oxford and UCL is as small as it gets within UK universities, except of course Oxford and Cambridge.

That's something I haven't actually considered yet - I don't remember much about it but my essay probably wasn't impressive, so that might have been the reason. I'm trying hard to be okay with my rejection.. it's just quite disappointing and it might take me a while, I think. I'm not sure yet whether I'll really go to another university or take a gap year and reapply next year. Thank you, though - that helped a lot!
Is UCL your second choice after Oxford?
That's something I haven't actually considered yet - I don't remember much about it but my essay probably wasn't impressive, so that might have been the reason. I'm trying hard to be okay with my rejection.. it's just quite disappointing and it might take me a while, I think. I'm not sure yet whether I'll really go to another university or take a gap year and reapply next year. Thank you, though - that helped a lot!
Is UCL your second choice after Oxford?

UCL was sort of joint 1st. I expected rejection from both so I would have been more than happy with either tbh.
Original post by JohnGreek
I saw that the college I applied to at Oxford asked for applicants to have at least 26/27 on their MCQ and 60 marks in the essay (arbitrary grading) in order to have a "good chance" at getting an interview, with a 27.8 MCQ average for offers across the entire uni. The average for UCL offers is around 25 if I'm not mistaken, so you may have gotten an LNAT score that easily satisfied UCL yet may not have been quite enough for Oxford. Besides, do not underestimate the fact that Oxford, at the end of the day, is... Oxford, and as such may have picked out something else in GCSEs/Predicted ALevels/PS that UCL may not have cared so much about.

UCL is a great uni to go to, with a high applicants : offers ratio, so I wouldn't worry myself too much about it! Congratulations on getting your offer :smile:

Where did you find that info about LNAT scores?
Original post by tatam_6
apparently somebody has got an offer for this course...stressing me out

Ohh really? Thats scary... But hopefully it means they're starting to make decisions...? I really want to know if I have the offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending