The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by Ryan105
I've been working at Tesco part time for nearly 6 months now on checkouts and sometimes stock control as overtime.
If anyone has any questions, I'll try and give the best answer I can.

I would like to ask how much did you set up on pay when applying on-line?
Reply 1821
Original post by kbkasey
My job title is just 'customer assistant', pretty much everyone's is unless you are a team leader or manager, then you get that role for the specific department. (I think there's a different name for the F&F workers though). That's also what it said when I applied on the website. In stock control, part of the job is to count stock, believe it or not! So it could mean that you would be a part of stock control, on Sundays they get lots of staff in to count every single item in the store too. But I'm not 100% sure, you'll get an opportunity to ask though.

To be honest, the manager story I told with us all doing the same kind of course, is not something that is department specific (that I know of), I think it was just this particular manager (Literally the best in the store, everyone has told me anyway and I agree!), decided he wanted people with the same interests in his team. Likewise, good arithmetic and strong computer skills is something I would give bonus points for, mainly for learning how to use everything. I mean all it really helps with is picking up the devices you use quicker. Anyone can learn how to use the PDA without any prior knowledge. If you know your times tables and can add two numbers without an issue, you're qualified! Heck, even if you haven't memorised your times tables you could still do the job without hassle. Sorry I'm dwelling on the same subject now!

My manager is really good with study leave. He said if I ever need time off that he can offer up to 6 weeks at a time. The same applies for holidays and things like that. Just a tip, if you get hired, make sure you are truthful with the flexi contract. Don't put your availability for every day and hour you are not at school, because you HAVE to work if you are needed. Give yourself enough time if you were to work the full amount of hours. Although, only applies if you are over 18 as you can work a maximum of 12 hours a week under 17. But back to your question, Tesco seem good for it with me, however it may differ from manager to manager. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I haven't bothered to calculate my pay per hour. But I think it's £6.85; I'm pretty sure it goes up either when I turn 18 or after 6 months of working or something like that. Still, it's better than £4.50 an hour pot washing a 12 hour shift without any breaks.

Oh, and you have to take breaks unpaid, you can't opt out of them. My Saturday 9-9:30 shift means I have to have a 30 minute break. Slightly annoying when it's a short shift.

I would like to ask what would people who work in the night do?
(sorry if this has been answered but I don't fancy searching through 92 pages :colondollar:)

I've got an interview tomorrow for a personal shopper. What can I expect? My friend said it's super easy, but is it group? One on one? How formal? What should I wear? Etc...

Thank you! :tongue:
Reply 1823
Original post by magicstars64
(sorry if this has been answered but I don't fancy searching through 92 pages :colondollar:)

I've got an interview tomorrow for a personal shopper. What can I expect? My friend said it's super easy, but is it group? One on one? How formal? What should I wear? Etc...

Thank you! :tongue:

Mine was a group one, they just asked some customer based question which you answer a time you've done something to help someone. I had a one to one after which was just basically talking over hours that I could do. It's really easy , laid back and not really formal. I wore a black dress but people turned up in jeans and track suits. I'd say go smart or smart casual though :smile: hope this helps!
Original post by 452231
Mine was a group one, they just asked some customer based question which you answer a time you've done something to help someone. I had a one to one after which was just basically talking over hours that I could do. It's really easy , laid back and not really formal. I wore a black dress but people turned up in jeans and track suits. I'd say go smart or smart casual though :smile: hope this helps!

thank you!!! :biggrin:
Reply 1825
Original post by Gloriaaa106
Hiya all :smile: I'm an old Tesco employee, worked there from September 2013 to June 2014 as a dotcom picker and did absurd amounts of overtime on checkouts. I left to go on my placement year, and now that is over I'm keen to get another job for my final year for when I go back to uni! (Mostly because I haven't saved a penny since I started placement LOL)

Anyway, since I used to work there, I just spoke to a friend who told me how I could get my old job back. But I applied to loads of other places, and have been lucky to get interviews or job offers from all of them!

So I'm doing a pros and cons list of what job to take. Tesco paid £7.36 when I worked there (Extra store in Reading). I imagine this has gone up? Also, one of the biggest pros was being contracted Sunday's due to time-and-a-half. Are Tesco still offering this to new starters?

Any help would be greeeeeeeat :biggrin:

HI can you tell me what Picker does in tesco dotcom please
Reply 1826
Original post by Grazmasterc
This is what's bothering me as well, Since I've tried so many variations of answers and not a single one will pass. It's instant decline.

what does picker at tesco dotcom do
Original post by 1992pd
what does picker at tesco dotcom do

If i actually knew the answers to getting a job for it I'd happily tell you :tongue:
Reply 1828
thank you!!! :biggrin:

Original post by 1992pd

collects the online shopping orders! I interviewed for it today
Speaking of, I applied for personal shopper, because the hours said 1pm till 8pm, which was amazing. In the interview though, they said that all shifts for the position start at 6am... :angry:
I was just wondering if tesco get back to you either way, successful or unsuccessful because I had a group interview just over a week ago and still no response... Just wanted to know if this is normal thanks :biggrin: Also I've been checking the tesco careers website and it still says it's "In Progess" is that a good sign ..?
(edited 8 years ago)
Mine's still in process 8 weeks after my interview. Really beginning to think the recruitment team have forgotten to update the status to unsuccessful. Surely I can't still be in the running for the job???
I had a group interview last saturday and got a call today asking to go in for an induction tomorrow! Woo :biggrin:
Anyone have any advice? What to wear, what to expect etc? Also they didn't say I have the job yet, so will it depend on how well I do tomorrow?
I had a group interview last saturday and got a call today asking to go in for an induction tomorrow! Woo :biggrin:
Anyone have any advice? What to wear, what to expect etc? Also they didn't say I have the job yet, so will it depend on how well I do tomorrow?

If you've got an induction as far as I'm aware you should have the job unless you do something stupid tomorrow. I would always wear smart casual just to be safe, also what I have heard is that you watch safety videos like the over 21 campaign etc. Apparently you get paid for the induction day aswell :biggrin:
Original post by JGlen97
If you've got an induction as far as I'm aware you should have the job unless you do something stupid tomorrow. I would always wear smart casual just to be safe, also what I have heard is that you watch safety videos like the over 21 campaign etc. Apparently you get paid for the induction day aswell :biggrin:

Ahh thank you so much! :biggrin:
I've been job hunting for months now, I'm so happy to finally have something! :h:
Status changed to unsuccessful just now... Oh well.
Hey all,
I had my interview at Tesco for a position on the checkouts. I had a group interview with about 4 other people but the strange thing was, we didn't have any questions! We just discussed our age and what we did at college. We then filled out a health form and the hours we were available. We then got taken to a different room in which they scanned our passports and NI's, then was free to go. They said they'd be in touch, I was just surprised there were no questions asked! What could this mean?
Got my Christmas temp job at Tesco Pitsea! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Does anyone know what the pay is currently for under-18s? I heard it was something like £7.15/hour, can someone confirm this?

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Got my Christmas temp job at Tesco Pitsea! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Does anyone know what the pay is currently for under-18s? I heard it was something like £7.15/hour, can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

I heard it was £7ish at the beginning as well!

Quick Reply

Latest