The Student Room Group

Economics personal statement help

My school wants it on the 11th and I've managed to write a grand total of 0 characters. I've didn't study economics at GCSE or A-level and I need someone to feed me some bullsh*t to write. I've got no work experience, no extra-curriculum activities to write about and I've been depressed for the last 3 years. My days have consisted of going to school, getting home and wasting my life away in my free time. How can I possibly 'sell' myself without writing bullsh*t? I'm doing Maths, Computing and Physics if it helps and I'm predicted ABB respectively.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Original post by throwaway1488
My school wants it on the 11th and I've managed to write a grand total of 0 characters. I've didn't study economics at GCSE or A-level and I need someone to feed me some bullsh*t to write. I've got no work experience, no extra-curriculum activities to write about and I've been depressed for the last 3 years. My days have consisted of going to school, getting home and wasting my life away in my free time. How can I possibly 'sell' myself without writing bullsh*t? I'm doing Maths, Computing and Physics if it helps and I'm predicted ABB respectively.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you've never studied the topic or done any reading about it in your own time why on earth are you committing to spending the next three + years of your life studying it?
Reply 2
If I was you I'd start to write it, I don't think you are engaged with your option choice fully and as soon as you attempt to properly think why you'd like to study economics you will realise this. You clearly don't have an interest in it and a few over-inflated employment credentials have probably got the better of you. Grow up and study something you'd like to; f*ck the system.
Original post by PQ
If you've never studied the topic or done any reading about it in your own time why on earth are you committing to spending the next three + years of your life studying it?

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have actually studied Economics independently and have read several books which I plan to mention in my PS. I do have a genuine interest in the subject and I especially enjoy the Maths and Statistics aspect. Once again, my problem is that I can't write enough to 'sell' myself.
Original post by throwaway1488
Sorry, I forgot to mention I have actually studied Economics independently and have read several books which I plan to mention in my PS. I do have a genuine interest in the subject and I especially enjoy the Maths and Statistics aspect. Once again, my problem is that I can't write enough to 'sell' myself.

Admissions staff are looking for applicants to demonstrate:
A) they understand the course they've applied for enough to make an informed choice
B) they enjoy the subject applied for enough to maintain motivation for three years. Even the boring topics everyone hates.
C) they have the skills and background to excel on the course.

Your A level maths nails C. All you need to do for A and B is to talk about your independent study, talk about topics or work you've enjoyed and talk about university topics that you look forward to studying in more depth. Don't be afraid of being specific and giving examples- that's what makes it personal.

A PS isn't selling YOU. It's presenting yourself as a safe bet.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending