The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Hi I've heard it's worth it as it's a 40 min walk... only 10-15 mins on bike to Uni Centre
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I just got a pack today off the police about marking my bike and taking pics of it and everythin. :/
Reply 3
curlylocks88
Hi I've heard it's worth it as it's a 40 min walk... only 10-15 mins on bike to Uni Centre

It's about 30-35 mins to the Uni builds. If you really move yourself you can do it in 20-25 mins. 40-45 mins to the very centre.
But isn't it really hilly? As in you end up just getting off the bike and pushing it? Or more likely, fall off and end up not making it into town at all.
Reply 5
Just a warning: It's VERY hilly. I am unfit, so... hehe, I can't really ride a bike uphill, tried that and nearly died. Down hill is fine tho :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'll still take a bike, one way at least has to be downhill.
What about rollerblades? :wink:
Reply 8
Hmmm, with me, it really sounds like a recipe for disaster!!!
Reply 9
Rollerblades=ouch.

I think I'll try to get a second-hand bike when I get there, but I'd look at the hills first before deciding.
Phil_D
It's about 30-35 mins to the Uni builds. If you really move yourself you can do it in 20-25 mins. 40-45 mins to the very centre.

Is that to walk?
How long roughly do you think to cycle?
I'm taking my bike :smile:
Reply 11
curlylocks88
Is that to walk?
How long roughly do you think to cycle?
I'm taking my bike :smile:

Yeah, those times were based on walking. As others have mentioned, it is very hill, so i reckon about about 10 mins to Uni and about 15 back. A bike's a good idea if you're fit enough to manage those hills. They are bad hills, btw. Blackboy Hill especially.
He he I'm gonna try!!
Reply 13
Take a bike. Even if you have to lead it back, it's no slower than walking - but you can whizzz down to lectures in about 10 mins. And the steep bit that's a b**** to cycle up is only about fifty yards. The rest is either gentle or flat.

A bike saved me SO much time over 4 years.
Reply 14
I lived in Hiatt Baker last year and cycled in every day. True it’s hilly, but it keeps you in shape and the run gets easier every time (although its never really easy as such). It’s also a lot faster than walking so you can afford to get an extra 20mins in bed! It is possible to get to the uni buildings in about 10 mins once you're at the top of your cycling abilities :P

White Ladies Road generally seems to get the worst reputation. However, its not too bad on a bike, the only part that requires real effort is the very last push uphill. Hiatt Baker/Uni hall people beware of the hill from Hiatt Baker to Wills/Durdham, its right at the very start (if you take that route). It’s is incredibly short but incredibly steep.

One very important note: take any advice on crime prevention if possible. Get a really good strong lock, not a flimsy chain which won't last a second. Bristol has a high bike crime rate. I myself had my bike stolen within my first 2 weeks at Bristol. I also know several other people who have also been victims to this. Don't think your bike is safe in a bike shed, always lock it (mine was stolen from the HB shed). A good piece of advice is to perhaps invest in a lightly trashy looking second hand bike (you can get a decent one for about £50 ) rather than take a shiny bike with suspension and loads of pretty colours. I also put duck tape in various places around my second bike and some people even painted theirs a different colour- lasted me the rest of the year!

Also safety is important. White Ladies Road (the main route to uni) is pretty busy and going downhill too fast can be risky. Always wear a helmet, be visible and have lights especially in Winter. I've had a few near misses myself. Also invest in a bell or horn to scare innocent walkers as you overtake at high speeds.

A lot of this sounds scary but honestly cycling can be a lot of fun and is without a doubt the most efficient method around Bristol- fast (faster than a car even), cheap and easy parking whilst keeping you in good shape.
Reply 15
and just think of the massive legs you'll have within a year!!!!

I'm bringing a bike, just cuz i want the option... must admit a certain sense of fear for the bristol hills though!
Reply 16
A good lock and a s**te looking bike go hand in hand. My bro had got his door kicked down, himself kicked in and his bike nicked from his room. Admittadly it was a £3k+ bike, so the moral of the story is that a £50 bike will save you all manner of grief!

Getting fit isn't a bad thing either! You can scream down whiteladies and have a laugh weaving between cars creating a bit of a mess. Just wear a helmet. I made it to tyndal park road in 6 mins from Churchill. Invaluable for essay deadlines, short loan book return and 9am lectures. Also useful for nights out. Cycle/freewheel down, lock the bike up with a couple of locks, cab it back and pick it up next day/week - whenever you sober up!
Reply 17
Hope there's a supply of working-condition second-hand bikes! And I don't use a helmet when I cycle, is there a law against this? Also, can you usually find people to cycle to school with? I'm worried about safety across the Downs.
Reply 18
Also useful for nights out. Cycle/freewheel down, lock the bike up with a couple of locks, cab it back and pick it up next day/week - whenever you sober up!

Have you actually done this? I always figured leaving your bike, however securely locked, overnight would almost guarantee a nicked/damaged bike. If not I am SO going to be doing this regulaly...
Reply 19
i did the walk from uni hall to the chem building last week and it really is quite far! use a bike if you can but beware the hills really are as bad as people say.

Latest

Trending

Trending