The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by piese
hi everyone, so basically i achieved B in my overall a level last year, so this year im retaking one AS unit to boost this grade.

When declaring my qualifications do I put my original grades in and then AS 2016-pending or put pending for both as and a level as my a level grade will change if i get a high enough mark. Or will they know this is the case even if my A level grade is shown as 2015 -B.

Also, for the attendance in the new centre do I put June 2016-June 2016 as this is when the exam is. Thanks in advance
You put what you have achieved at AS and A level, as the grades won't change whatever the result of your resit. You then enter both this year's AS and A level as pending. Yes, those attendance dates will be fine.

Original post by Tommy 97
Hi i resat my economics for AS in A2 after getting a C. I resat both exams and did better in one but worse in the other. If I just use my grades from the resit I have a D but if I use my best results from both years it is a C. Obviosuly have to enter the C from first year AS, and obviously the rest grade however i don't know if the resit one is considered a C or a D. (Confused because I'm pretty sure when you re-sit they take your best grades, therefore if surely it would take the better grade from AS in year one and the better from the one in year 2, creating an overall C).

Many thanks for any help
I have answered this elsewhere for you, I think?
Hey,
When I was 12 or so (around the time you'd start Year 8) I took a national exam—our national examination for progressing to a secondary school. According to my school system, this exam was part of my primary school study, but I just realised UCAS says "all qualifications from the age of 11 onwards".
Would I need to add this exam?
(The exam wasn't worth much in the end though, as I attended an international secondary school, so I don't think it's even relevant...)
Original post by KythingToWrite
Hey,
When I was 12 or so (around the time you'd start Year 8) I took a national exam—our national examination for progressing to a secondary school. According to my school system, this exam was part of my primary school study, but I just realised UCAS says "all qualifications from the age of 11 onwards".
Would I need to add this exam?
(The exam wasn't worth much in the end though, as I attended an international secondary school, so I don't think it's even relevant...)

It was an exam but not a qualification.

If your school had exams at the end of each year those aren't for inclusion in your application unless they result in a formal qualification.
I resat some AS modules and received my grades back, and these caused my overall AS results for those subjects to go from a B to an A and C to an A - To clarify, under AS results do I put the subject twice, with the original AS overall grade I got (and original AS modules), and then the same subject but with the new AS overall grade (and new AS modules I sat)? Or would I put the subject once, with the new higher overall grade and put all the modules (original + resits under that)? Also, would I put these modules that I resat under the whole A-level?

Thanks
Reply 284
Original post by dannyoboy007
I resat some AS modules and received my grades back, and these caused my overall AS results for those subjects to go from a B to an A and C to an A - To clarify, under AS results do I put the subject twice, with the original AS overall grade I got (and original AS modules), and then the same subject but with the new AS overall grade (and new AS modules I sat)? Or would I put the subject once, with the new higher overall grade and put all the modules (original + resits under that)? Also, would I put these modules that I resat under the whole A-level?

Thanks

If you were issued with a new certificate, yes - you would put the modules in twice, one under the year you sat them, then the ones you resat the following year (or whenever you took them). Otherwise, if you didn't get a certificate the first time, you don't need to.
Original post by Mdann52
If you were issued with a new certificate, yes - you would put the modules in twice, one under the year you sat them, then the ones you resat the following year (or whenever you took them). Otherwise, if you didn't get a certificate the first time, you don't need to.

Sorry, got a bit confused, so will all the modules be under one subject (with the highest overall grade being the main grade for that subject)?
Reply 286
Original post by dannyoboy007
Sorry, got a bit confused, so will all the modules be under one subject (with the highest overall grade being the main grade for that subject)?

The final grade will be listed on the certificate - go by whatever that and the statement of results says when it comes to adding grades.
I have done this January some my Edexcel exams (I am an IAL student), so I got my results yesterday, and I want to do retakes, should I inform UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
I have done this January some my Edexcel exams (I am an IAL student), so I got my results yesterday, and I want to do retakes, should I inform UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes
Original post by PQ
yes

Okay, and should I just inform them by email ?
Hi

I've just rung UCAS about declaring a re-sit and I'm a bit confused...

My firm and insurance choices have been confirmed on UCAS and back when I applied I declared all my past results and the qualifications I am taking. I'm doing some A levels at college but English literature as a private candidate at another school and learning from home. Initially I just planned to do the A2 this year (I completed my AS in 2014 but dropped it, before deciding to carry on to A2 this year) Up until a week ago I thought I would be able to get an A grade overall just doing the A2 but I've been told (by the exam board) that's not possible without re-taking my AS exam. So I am considering entering myself for the AS exam this year also, which would be a re-sit, right? So I rang UCAS today to tell them, so that it could be added to my application, and after taking my ID number the advisor said I do not need to make any changes to my application because it's not like I'm re-taking the whole A level, it's just one module so it will just go towards the whole. Surely though re-sitting the AS will change my overall grade which my offers are based on so surely it must be declared? Do you think the advisor fully understood what I was saying or should I not worry?

Thanks.
Original post by Ellismall
Hi

I've just rung UCAS about declaring a re-sit and I'm a bit confused...

My firm and insurance choices have been confirmed on UCAS and back when I applied I declared all my past results and the qualifications I am taking. I'm doing some A levels at college but English literature as a private candidate at another school and learning from home. Initially I just planned to do the A2 this year (I completed my AS in 2014 but dropped it, before deciding to carry on to A2 this year) Up until a week ago I thought I would be able to get an A grade overall just doing the A2 but I've been told (by the exam board) that's not possible without re-taking my AS exam. So I am considering entering myself for the AS exam this year also, which would be a re-sit, right? So I rang UCAS today to tell them, so that it could be added to my application, and after taking my ID number the advisor said I do not need to make any changes to my application because it's not like I'm re-taking the whole A level, it's just one module so it will just go towards the whole. Surely though re-sitting the AS will change my overall grade which my offers are based on so surely it must be declared? Do you think the advisor fully understood what I was saying or should I not worry?

Thanks.

Resitting an AS module does not automatically result in a recertification of the AS grade. It's possible for the AS resit result to only count towards your A level grade and your existing AS result to stay as it was.

There's no need to phone UCAS about changes to exam entries though. Just email [email protected] with the details to make sure their system is up to date (to make sure your results get mapped to your application in August).
Original post by PQ
Resitting an AS module does not automatically result in a recertification of the AS grade. It's possible for the AS resit result to only count towards your A level grade and your existing AS result to stay as it was.

There's no need to phone UCAS about changes to exam entries though. Just email [email protected] with the details to make sure their system is up to date (to make sure your results get mapped to your application in August).

Thanks for your reply. So will the universities not mind that I've done a resit in one of the subjects that's part of my offer, because I thought you had to tell them?
Thanks for your reply. So will the universities not mind that I've done a resit in one of the subjects that's part of my offer, because I thought you had to tell them?

Did you declare your modules when you applied for the upcoming A level result?

If so then you should inform your universities (because the information provided to them has changed)

If you didn't declare modules then the information they'll receive (an A level grade in that subject in August) hasn't changed.

Unless they have strict rules around resits then they generally couldn't give a **** if you resit - but if you don't tell them when you should they can reject you on a technicality.
Original post by PQ
Did you declare your modules when you applied for the upcoming A level result?

If so then you should inform your universities (because the information provided to them has changed)

If you didn't declare modules then the information they'll receive (an A level grade in that subject in August) hasn't changed.

Unless they have strict rules around resits then they generally couldn't give a **** if you resit - but if you don't tell them when you should they can reject you on a technicality.

No, I didn't declare modules. On the website of one of my universities it says that resits are normally fine as long as you are resitting "within the two year period of A level completion." I did the AS in 2014 and am now doing the A2 (and AS exam) in 2016 so there's been a break inbetween but does it still count as doing it in a two year period because I didn't actually do any of the modules in 2015?

Thanks for all your help by the way!
No, I didn't declare modules. On the website of one of my universities it says that resits are normally fine as long as you are resitting "within the two year period of A level completion." I did the AS in 2014 and am now doing the A2 (and AS exam) in 2016 so there's been a break inbetween but does it still count as doing it in a two year period because I didn't actually do any of the modules in 2015?

Thanks for all your help by the way!

If you didn't declare modules then no information on your application has changed if you amend the modules you're sitting. You don't need to inform your universities - just make sure UCAS have the information to match your results in August.
Original post by PQ
If you didn't declare modules then no information on your application has changed if you amend the modules you're sitting. You don't need to inform your universities - just make sure UCAS have the information to match your results in August.

OK, thanks for your help!
just wondering if anybody knows

i did a year at uni, failed it, did not pass enough credits to get a certificate of higher education therefore i dont hold any qualifications or results from that year. do i have to put this on my ucas form according to ucas rules? because as far as i can read, you only have to declare qualifications that you hold or awaiting results for, neither of which applies to my situation.
Original post by arcenciel21
just wondering if anybody knows

i did a year at uni, failed it, did not pass enough credits to get a certificate of higher education therefore i dont hold any qualifications or results from that year. do i have to put this on my ucas form according to ucas rules? because as far as i can read, you only have to declare qualifications that you hold or awaiting results for, neither of which applies to my situation.

So you sat the exams and failed them: you have to declare the results. You do have results, the exam marks are the results.

It's exactly the same as having to declare a U at GCSE or A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
So you sat the exams and failed them: you have to declare the results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Thats not even an option on UCAS. I currently have my previous uni on my application and chose the option that i didnt receive any qualifications. Therefore I cannot declare any exams or results I received.

Again, if you dont know the answer, theres no need to give misinformed advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending