The Student Room Group

TSR PhotoSoc (and post your gear thread)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by CurlyBen
An added bonus of flying somewhere warm is we generally don't have the doors on, so windows aren't an issue :biggrin: Only had one chance to use a camera airborne though, and that was my EOS M - unfortunately the light was too bright to really see the screen and there's no viewfinder!

Sun glasses? Should find it easier with a DSLR, maybe a new eyepiece like this one to block out more light? http://theworldonline.co.za/image/data/sku_11206_1.jpg

Where are you going for the flight? :smile:
Original post by dhr90
Sun glasses? Should find it easier with a DSLR, maybe a new eyepiece like this one to block out more light? http://theworldonline.co.za/image/data/sku_11206_1.jpg

Where are you going for the flight? :smile:

The EOS M just is a great little camera but it's got it's limitations, I think a proper dSLR will be a lot more useable.

I'm not going on a specific flight, I'm hoping to get some opportunities to back seat again sometime soon though. Currently in Hawaii!
I've come back from Switzerland (which was awesome) to find my last overdue Christmas present waiting for me, a wooden hotshoe cover for my A7 II. It's completely unnecessary and serves no functional benefit, but it looks gorgeous in a similar shade of wood to the bronze accent around the A7's lens mount and the fit and finish is top notch (I got mine from Artisan Obscura). And after all, the only reason we do photography is so that we can look like posers with our fancy cameras, right? :ahee:

Speaking of posers, Olympus' are beating the dead horse that is the retro styled camera market with a very big stick with the marketing for their newest M43 camera including some very hipster-ish videos. The camera itself looks cool and seems like an interesting mirrorless option, but £1000 body-only feels really steep for a camera that sits around or below the spec sheets of cameras like the GX8 and GH4 from Panasonic, Fuji's X-T1 and even the full frame A7 and A7R from Sony which are all anything up to a couple of hundred quid cheaper body-only. On a more subjective note I don't think it's as attractive as Fuji's rangefinder style cameras (speaking of which, I tried the X100T for a while last week for the first time and really liked it).
Yeah, first thing I thought when I saw that camera was that it'd go great with a beard, lumberjack shirt and skinny chinos :tongue:
Original post by Sir Fox
Yeah, first thing I thought when I saw that camera was that it'd go great with a beard, lumberjack shirt and skinny chinos :tongue:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with skinny chinos :P
There's everything wrong with any kind of skinny trousers for guys :wink:
Reply 606
Original post by Sir Fox
There's everything wrong with any kind of skinny trousers for guys :wink:

I second this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To start with I was confused, then started reading the comments, and no I can't un-see the rectangle where he's pasted the plane in.

Original post by Sir Fox
:clap2: :laugh:

Love this one.

The Bond one made me giggle :teehee:

Meeting up with an old schoolmate tomorrow, I hadn't seen him in years but we bumped into each other on the train a few months ago. Turns out he's an excellent photographer, his dad and uncle have both been working photographers at one point and I think he's keen to give it a go too. We've been trying to find time to go out shooting for a while now so I'm looking forward to it, I think we're going to try some cityscapes and long exposures around Birmingham. I always feel more excited about going out with the camera when I'm with someone else who's enthusiastic about it too, and my pictures seem to turn out better for it.

I've also got my training for the cruise job next week, theoretically that means it's less than a month until I set sail :jive:

Original post by Sir Fox
It's happened - it's FINALLY happened. Just over 14 years after their first announcement, Ricoh has finally confirmed release of a Pentax FF for late 2015!

I wet myself a bit ...

I hope your bladder is ready :ahee:

[video="youtube;jFoIn3sBR18"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFoIn3sBR18[/video]

Looks pretty sweet for well under two grand. Difficult to directly compare to the FF DSLR competition at this point with the 6D, D610 costing £400-£500 less and the 5D III and D810 costing £400-£500 more, but I guess that could have been the whole point of pricing it there to fill in one of the gaps in the market currently.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, it looks great. I neither want nor can afford it, but my primary hope is that it becomes so successful that it makes third party manufacturers like Tamron, Sigma and Tokina reconsider their stance on K-mount lens support. I really want that Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ...

Anyway, today I am just happy that after forgetting my tripod on a hill after an early morning shoot two weeks ago and it disappearing when I returned just ten minutes later, I got it back a couple of hours ago. The honest finder posted in a well-known Facebook group and a friend saw it and tagged me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Found out which ship I'll be placed on today, it's one of the largest in the world and it's doing a few different routes, mostly around the Mediterranean. By my rough count I'll get to visit sonewhere in the region of 25-35 different ports over the six months, so not a bad assignment to start with :jive: Lots of pictures will be taken :teeth:

Original post by Sir Fox
Yeah, it looks great. I neither want nor can afford it, but my primary hope is that it becomes so successful that it makes third party manufacturers like Tamron, Sigma and Tokina reconsider their stance on K-mount lens support. I really want that Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ...

Yeah it would be cool to see Sigma get a bit more representation among third party lens makers, hopefully the K1 and kick up some interest.
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-24-105mm-f/MTAwMDEzNA_A_A

Do want.

I'm thinking I may save up for a 5D mkiii, too. The website above are selling them for a good £500 LESS than amazon. Plus with mkiv is expected to be released, or at least announced, this year so I'm hoping the mkiii price will go down further.
Original post by Manitude
The website above are selling them for a good £500 LESS than amazon.

DigitalRev are a grey importer, you're getting stock from other countries :yep: The upside is the low cost if it all goes smoothly because you/they aren't paying VAT, but warranty coverage is patchy across manufacturers and if it gets caught at customs you could have a lovely VAT bill to pay before your purchase gets released to you. DR are one of the better grey importers from what I've heard (their extremely popular youtube channel also does wonders for their legitimacy), but the risks are still there!
I thought it might be something like that. It seems strange that they can do a mkiii and that lens for £70 more than Amazon sell just the mkiii. I do really like their YT channel though, it's useful for learning about photography as well as being pretty funny.
If I still shot with my 70D I would be throwing money at my laptop screen right now.

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/19/sigma-unveil-crazy-fast-50-100mm-f1-8-art-lens/

I thought it might be something like that. It seems strange that they can do a mkiii and that lens for £70 more than Amazon sell just the mkiii. I do really like their YT channel though, it's useful for learning about photography as well as being pretty funny.

"The Top Gear of photography" is a pretty apt description of them :ahee: I do enjoy their stuff, they're not going to win awards for technical details but they do a great job of making it feel a bit more accessible, I know I got absorbed into their backlog of videos when I bought my first DSLR a couple of years ago.
That does look rather nice! Bit pricey though :tongue:

"The Top Gear of photography" is a pretty apt description of them :ahee: I do enjoy their stuff, they're not going to win awards for technical details but they do a great job of making it feel a bit more accessible, I know I got absorbed into their backlog of videos when I bought my first DSLR a couple of years ago.

That's not a bad description of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Kai models himself on Jeremy Clarkson, actually.
They're one of the few channels that seem to review a lot of lenses without getting too bogged down in the technical specs and focus more on whether or not an amateur would find a piece of gear useful. Some of the more technical channels seem to focus on aspects that, to most photographers, don't really matter. At least that's my perception, anyway.
Reply 619
Which ship/ports? Your Flickr will be overloaded with pictures I hope!

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-24-105mm-f/MTAwMDEzNA_A_A

Do want.

I'm thinking I may save up for a 5D mkiii, too. The website above are selling them for a good £500 LESS than amazon. Plus with mkiv is expected to be released, or at least announced, this year so I'm hoping the mkiii price will go down further.

The 24-105L is a cracking lens, It is nearly ideal for me. My only real complaint is distortion at the wide end, but I can live with that easily.

That is a bit of a left field lens. I can imagine it being great for weddings, particularly in church, or other low light shots, although possibly not long enough. Not sure I'd like the zoom range myself, could have an 85 f1.8 and 50 f1.8 for a LOT less money, then just walk to zoom. Or just use my 70-200 and accept the loss of a stop of light.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending