The Student Room Group

A levels for an architecture degree? MONSTERTHREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think these are good subjects and you'll get into an architecture course depending on your portfolio. I know many people around me who do not have A'level arts and design yet end into studying architecture.
Just focus on the portfolio.

I am also willing to study architecture, my subjects are A'level Physics and Chemistry. And As'level Arts and Math.
What I'd like to ask is, will I be accepted to cardiff or Sheffield if I have As'level math?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Original post by Amtul
will I be accepted to cardiff or Sheffield if I have As'level math?

I am not familiar with their entry requirements. Maybe have a look at their UCAS profile?
Reply 22
Original post by M e m p h i s
I am not familiar with their entry requirements. Maybe have a look at their UCAS profile?

Thank you! :smile:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Any time.
Reply 24
I'm actually having doubts in choosing to major in Architecture since nowaday only 1 out of 2 architects is able to get a job. It's a really focused degree thus it'd be hard to change career path.
What do you guys think?
I know people have asked this question before but haven't heard anyone talk much about BTEC's. I choose to do an EXTENDED DIPLOMA GRAPHIC DESIGN which is worth 3.5 A-levels because I thought I wanted to do a graphic design degree but have recently decided it's not for me and want to become an architect, does anyone know how architecture programs look at BTEC's or GRAPHIC DESIGN or both has anyone got in with the same qualification I know bath and Cambridge require A-level Maths and Physics

I have considered doing physics A-level online but have seen a lot of people say it's not worth the money as you don't get much support from the tutors and might as well find your own resources online, books and the course books...but also say if you do this you still have to pay exam fees which are okay but the practical lab work costs £500.00-£1500.00 on average does anyone have any opinions of this or experiences of this, there is an international A-level for physics which doesn't require the lab work but have heard there aren't any exam centres in the UK the nearest is Paris ... I also have the option to do a foundation year or a year of some new course for design for sustainability which deals with more materials and structures more which would relate better to architecture... if anyone knows the best option I'd be grateful

p.s sorry about the length
Reply 26
BTEC Extended is worth 3 A levels (not 3.5)

You could probably get onto an Architecture degree with your Graphic Design BTEC because universities like Art/Design subjects for Architecture but not at Cambridge (like you said without Maths/Physics)

I will have a look for you but most will list their requirements for either Art BTEC, Engineering BTEC or Construction BTEC, you may have to email the universities that you want to go to.

EDIT: Kent accept BTEC Extended in "interior Design" with DDD this might include Graphic Design (best to check with them though).
Nottingham accept with DDD + a portfolio so that suggests an Art or Design based BTEC
(edited 9 years ago)
thankyou
Reply 28
Original post by Rach1237812
thankyou

No problem, where were you wanting to apply to?
Was thinking about studying abroad in Denmark in Copenhagen maybe but will apply here too: falmouth, AA, CASS, plymouth or Portsmouth. Not sure because some uni's are apparently more arts based and some are more scienced based, think I'm gonna do a foundation next year or a design for sustainability course to get my portfolio ready so there's more structural stuff like 3-D models rather than with loads of graphic design, but I'm going to go to some open days and see what the lectures are looking for.
Reply 30
I am in my 6th year at school and I have just finished my highers from 5th year, I did Maths, English, Geography, Art and Graphics.
For 6th year I was thinking to do Advanced Higher Art, Adv. Higher Geography, Higher Photography and then crash Higher Human Biology (just to try something different) but should I try Physics instead? Or would that be too difficult to crash? Or should I try Engineering Science? Help!! Please tell me what you have done! (Im from Glasgow btw so im hoping to go to the Glasgow School of Art or Strathclyde)
Original post by Laura980
I am in my 6th year at school and I have just finished my highers from 5th year, I did Maths, English, Geography, Art and Graphics.
For 6th year I was thinking to do Advanced Higher Art, Adv. Higher Geography, Higher Photography and then crash Higher Human Biology (just to try something different) but should I try Physics instead? Or would that be too difficult to crash? Or should I try Engineering Science? Help!! Please tell me what you have done! (Im from Glasgow btw so im hoping to go to the Glasgow School of Art or Strathclyde)

The "classic" architecture combination is Art, Maths and Physics. But even when I was at the Mac - many years ago - I didn't need maths and physics. University applications for any discipline now really are all about the UCAS points (but you will still need a portfolio and may be interviewed) so chose subjects that you enjoy and will do well in. Personally I wouldn't 'crash' something completely different at this stage - hopefully you will be able to experiment once you are at University, but I'd suggest 6th year is about consolidation...
i am 12 years old and would love a future in architecture but not sure on what gcse's to take and a levels or what university? could anyone help me?
Original post by jpkennyken
i am 12 years old and would love a future in architecture but not sure on what gcse's to take and a levels or what university? could anyone help me?

Have you not got a careers adviser who can help you? You've got a while left yet but make sure you work hard.
Original post by jpkennyken

Have a look at https://www.architecture.com/Files/RIBAProfessionalServices/Education/CareersInArchitecture/ThinkArchitecture.pdf :smile:
Literally doesn't matter what you take at all other than Art. Just choose what you love and do well, and as far as possible stick to "traditional subjects" i.e. geography is preferable to film studies etc.
Can I take English Lit Maths and Art?
Original post by lynnny8
I'm actually having doubts in choosing to major in Architecture since nowaday only 1 out of 2 architects is able to get a job. It's a really focused degree thus it'd be hard to change career path.
What do you guys think?

Architecture is competitive but ao are other careers. I think it requires a lot of dedication and you have to really want it to excel.
I didnt do art for a-level either. I did sociology, english lit and psych but I've received offers from great uni's. Its all down to your portfolio
hi there was is the basic physics requirement for Kent University ?
Hey guys,

I study Art, Maths, History and Product Design

I'm predicted Bs in all subjects at the moment but I think that I can get AABB this year - are my AS levels good for architecture?

I'm thinking of applying to Bath, UCL, Brookes, Sheffield, AA/UAL and one other

My first choice would either be Barlett or Bath

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending