The Student Room Group

Should I use my personal statement for my scholarship essay?

So, for my scholarship application (for low-income households) I am being told to write an essay no more than 500 hundreds. It seems very similar to my personal statement requirements, and is due after my mock exams. I was thinking, can I just use my UCAS personal statement? Below are the requirements

' In this form (form 1), you will now be asked to write a short statement about your passion for the subject you hope to study at this university, your interests, achievements and involvement in activities. Information about your family circumstances, and any obstacles or difficulties you have faced, in particular about how such issues and events have impacted on you, should also be included. This will be used by the judging panels when the awards are being assessed.

Form 1 ‘About You’In no more than 500 words, please tell us about:Your passion for the subject you are choosing to studyYour recent interests, achievements and involvement in activities (both inside and outside of the school/work environment)Information about your family circumstances, any obstacles or difficulties you have faced and how these have impacted on you.'
I'd say that you could use your UCAS personal statement, but if possible tailor it a bit to this particular scholarship. So go through the assessment points you've listed there:

"Your passion for the subject you are choosing to study, your recent interests, achievements and involvement in activities (both inside and outside of the school/work environment)Information about your family circumstances, any obstacles or difficulties you have faced and how these have impacted on you."

...and then find parts of your personal statement that reflect each of these points. If there's nothing in your PS for one particular point, then write something new in. This way, you'll know that you've included everything that they want and give yourself the best chance possible!

That's how I'd do it anyway! :smile:
Reply 2
@sortofmusician , I think I'll do something like that then.
I might get a couple paragraphs out, and put in one more specifically about the second of my joint-honors course (since I already speak about the first course in my PS), with also a paragraph about the obstacles/difficulties/family circumstances.

Thanks!
Please do not just use your PS. If the same person happens to read both it won't reflect well on you. From the brief it sounds like only the bit about your passion for the subject should really be common to your PS. With the rest make sure you bring it back to your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending