The Student Room Group

RAF: Airman Application progress

Hello!,

I'm currently in the middle of my airman application, apply for Avionics!. I've done my Aptitude test and first interview, passed them both with a lot of stress revising!

My question is the next stage of the medical examination. Can somebody explain the process of what will happen from when I enter the building to when I leave, also if I will be disqualified for having a scar on my forehead from when I had an accident about 2 years ago. I fell over, cut it, and then had it glued back together after that; never blacked out, never had to check up, hasn't effected me what so ever. Also the fact I can kind of breathe through one nostril normally and the other is like a parshly blocked nose which gets better and worse depending on the day, which again hasnt effected me in about the 5 years from when I first remember having it. I've always been good at running and last year I did 2 half marathons, and one mud run; really I should be fine because it doesn't bother me what so ever but it's just the fact I'm worrying about it that they'll say no.

Thanks again!

Potential Airman Fellows!
Original post by Mr.Fellows
Hello!,

I'm currently in the middle of my airman application, apply for Avionics!. I've done my Aptitude test and first interview, passed them both with a lot of stress revising!

My question is the next stage of the medical examination. Can somebody explain the process of what will happen from when I enter the building to when I leave, also if I will be disqualified for having a scar on my forehead from when I had an accident about 2 years ago. I fell over, cut it, and then had it glued back together after that; never blacked out, never had to check up, hasn't effected me what so ever. Also the fact I can kind of breathe through one nostril normally and the other is like a parshly blocked nose which gets better and worse depending on the day, which again hasnt effected me in about the 5 years from when I first remember having it. I've always been good at running and last year I did 2 half marathons, and one mud run; really I should be fine because it doesn't bother me what so ever but it's just the fact I'm worrying about it that they'll say no.

Thanks again!

Potential Airman Fellows!

Have a read of my blog. I wrote this when I applied almost 2 years ago but it' still very much the same now.

https://ryan9900.wordpress.com/medical/

If you have any further questions then I'll be happy to help. I'm on my first posting as an AMM currently so if you have any questions regarding training and life beyond Halton then again, feel free to ask!
Reply 2
Thank you very much! I'll check out your blog now and get back to you
Reply 3
Original post by ryan9900
Have a read of my blog. I wrote this when I applied almost 2 years ago but it' still very much the same now.

https://ryan9900.wordpress.com/medical/

If you have any further questions then I'll be happy to help. I'm on my first posting as an AMM currently so if you have any questions regarding training and life beyond Halton then again, feel free to ask!

I read it which is big help with what happens thank you! So by your experience they don't hold their finger below your nose and ask you to breathe out? That's the only way I'd be spotted. But again with my nose I never declared it to the NHS so do I still tell them somethings up? And would you recommend taking a medical record from my GP? I heard it makes the process easier if I have something saying I'm medically fit
I was never asked to breathe out while they held their finger under my nose, no! Pretty sure that's not something they do.

I've always been medically fit but people I know who have had minor things in the past that isn't officially on their records didn't mention it and were fine. I would personally just take what you're asked to take which if I remember correctly is just your immunisation records. I don't see any harm in taking your medical history records either though. The worst thing that can happen is they'll say they don't want it.

Quick Reply

Latest