The Student Room Group

URNU to RNR - initial recommendation by CO?

As above. I've just left the URNU, and would like to join the RNR. Apparently having been in the URNU smooths the process a little, but I'm just researching how and when the URNU is involved.

Obviously I'll speak to my CO and AFCO directly, but for various reasons I can't for a few weeks. I was just wondering what other people's experiences were?
Reply 1
You might not need to use the AFCO at all, there ought to be a back channel that helps avoid that step. When I went into the RAF from the UAS, even though I wasn't sponsored, I was able to completely skip the AFCO filter stage.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
You might not need to use the AFCO at all, there ought to be a back channel that helps avoid that step. When I went into the RAF from the UAS, even though I wasn't sponsored, I was able to completely skip the AFCO filter stage.

Thanks! Was your UAS heavily involved then, or did they just set it in motion?

My problem is that I've left now, and my CO is really busy for various reasons - I want to minimise the amount he has to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Octohedral
Thanks! Was your UAS heavily involved then, or did they just set it in motion?

My problem is that I've left now, and my CO is really busy for various reasons - I want to minimise the amount he has to do.

Let's just say the guys who ran it knew who to talk to...
Nah, I think there is/was a recognised back channel for that kind of thing. After all, the interviews and selection for that are more exacting than an AFCO filter interview.

If not your CO, then maybe your adjutant?
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
Let's just say the guys who ran it knew who to talk to...
Nah, I think there is/was a recognised back channel for that kind of thing. After all, the interviews and selection for that are more exacting than an AFCO filter interview.

If not your CO, then maybe your adjutant?

Good, I'll see if our Coxswain knows anything about it. My CO will help, I just want to make it as easy as possible for him to do so.

Thanks for your help - it's always you who answers these threads. :smile:
Reply 5
Mods, would you mind deleting this thread?

Quick Reply

Latest