The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mannequinxox
Congrats people that have passed :smile:

My test is around 12 on the 15th...Any tips?

Also I suffer from anxiety so any tablets or things that would help calm me down?... I have beta blockers too.

The absolute best advice I can give you is, DO NOT dwell on a mistake, if you make a mistake, correct it and move on. I thought i'd failed like 4 times in my test that I passed a few days ago; its not always about the mistake, its about how you correct it and even if you think you've really messed up, please carry on because that moment has passed and the worst thing to do is to jeopardise the rest of your test because you're panicking about a mistake.
Also, examiners almost never write down a fault as soon as you do it, they wait a good 5 minutes, at least; so you don't get put off. Don't panic if you see their pen go to the board because the mistake has already happened, potentially 5-15 minutes prior.

Also, chewing gum helped me to concentrate and stopped me from losing my s**t; it seriously helped me to just chew, it was a good distraction from my nerves.
(I thought it might come across rude or cocky if i was to chew gum, but I know of a few examiners that do it also, maybe even tell them that chewing gum helps your nerves)
Don't be afraid to tell the examiner that you're nervous too, I told him a bunch of times and he even reassured me at one point, which helped massively.

Another big thing is that, if you are told to turn left and you turn right, don't worry; as long as you execute it safely and correctly, then they can't and wont penalise you, as its a test of your driving, not your hearing or directional skills.

Diazepam would calm your nerves but the blood threshold limit is very low so the maximum you're allowed in your blood is 550µg/L.
All benzodiazepines and opioids can impair your driving, so be seriously careful, I'd speak to your Doctor about it.

I think thats it, if you need anymore advice, feel free to message me :biggrin:
Best Of Luck :smile:
Original post by TaintedLight
Well guys 2016 is the year i ****ing floored the ****ing driver's test. ****ing thorn in my life which started ****ing 3 years ago. But **** that ****. If they thought they could **** with me for the fourth time they ****ing pushed their luck way too far. I ****ing own a drivers license now and because of that the streets are much safer now 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Couldn't have said it better myself, I've been trying for 3 years on and off and had an instructor the first 2 times i went in for my test who was putting me in too early just to get more money off me.
I finally passed last week which was my fourth time.
Feel so sorry for people who fail for silly reasons, almost like the examiners have to stick to a quota to meet targets or something; which ends up with them failing people even if they've had a fairly good drive.
I've been taking driving lessons for over 20 months it would've took me a lot faster if I actually bothered about my theory but I just passed that last October 17 months after I started driving lessons. I had 2 instructors the first I binned off around this time last year because he was a bully always criticised me, and so unprofessional but the instructor I have now is really professional, gentle and all round a nice guy and he always give me confidence even when I feel down.

I'm really nervous about my second driving test on 15th February 1:35pm and yes I failed it the first time on 25th November 2015 8:15am with 4 majors and a good number of minors but 4 manjors ive got are (clearance/obstruction x2, examiner applying the breaks because I don't give priority to a can on a narrow residential road and driving on the wrong side of the road at the end).

The examiner I was meant to have no that day called in sick so I've been giving a replacement examiner who mainly does the motorbike lessons. I have to say based on my experience the examiner I had for my test was extremely moody, no personality unfriendly and intimidating from the start to finish. At the end of the test the examiner is supposed to go through your results in a constructive calm maanner but not him he just literally bashed, ranted and yelled right down my throat with all the throats as if like I shouldn't be on the road. I have really bad anger issues along with having Aspergers Syndrome I was tempted to yell back at it him I've even had thoughts punching him but I tried my best to remain calm also it would be so wrong for 21 year old me assault a guy in his 50s/60s so instead I just burst into tears in front of my instructor but he said me the examiner I had was the odd one of them all and it's very likely I'll have him again. He also said that what happened was just unfortunate and I let pressure took over me.

Before I went for my first driving test I was so overly confident that I thought I was going to pass with no minors due to fact I had so much driving expience but now I feel less confidence and I've became very cautious with y driving lately. I honestly sick wasting money on driving lesson, I just want to pass and drive by myself and drive in my own style. It would mean so much if you could comment advice you'd give me for my nextdeiving test and even it would be even better if you also give me advice on what food I should eat before on day I go for my test.

Also I suffer from anxiety so any tablets or things that would help calm me down?... I have beta blockers too.

Original post by jamierobinson94
I've been taking driving lessons for over 20 months it would've took me a lot faster if I actually bothered about my theory but I just passed that last October 17 months after I started driving lessons. I had 2 instructors the first I binned off around this time last year because he was a bully always criticised me, and so unprofessional but the instructor I have now is really professional, gentle and all round a nice guy and he always give me confidence even when I feel down.

I'm really nervous about my second driving test on 15th February 1:35pm and yes I failed it the first time on 25th November 2015 8:15am with 4 majors and a good number of minors but 4 manjors ive got are (clearance/obstruction x2, examiner applying the breaks because I don't give priority to a can on a narrow residential road and driving on the wrong side of the road at the end).

The examiner I was meant to have no that day called in sick so I've been giving a replacement examiner who mainly does the motorbike lessons. I have to say based on my experience the examiner I had for my test was extremely moody, no personality unfriendly and intimidating from the start to finish. At the end of the test the examiner is supposed to go through your results in a constructive calm maanner but not him he just literally bashed, ranted and yelled right down my throat with all the throats as if like I shouldn't be on the road. I have really bad anger issues along with having Aspergers Syndrome I was tempted to yell back at it him I've even had thoughts punching him but I tried my best to remain calm also it would be so wrong for 21 year old me assault a guy in his 50s/60s so instead I just burst into tears in front of my instructor but he said me the examiner I had was the odd one of them all and it's very likely I'll have him again. He also said that what happened was just unfortunate and I let pressure took over me.

Before I went for my first driving test I was so overly confident that I thought I was going to pass with no minors due to fact I had so much driving expience but now I feel less confidence and I've became very cautious with y driving lately. I honestly sick wasting money on driving lesson, I just want to pass and drive by myself and drive in my own style. It would mean so much if you could comment advice you'd give me for my nextdeiving test and even it would be even better if you also give me advice on what food I should eat before on day I go for my test.

These tips could relate to both of you :smile:

Do a mock test before your test date in silence (can help to get you used to the test atmosphere)
Don't worry about taking too long to join a roundabout, its much better to wait for a safe spot than rush on and cause someone behind you to brake, making you fail (don't wait for too long though, you don't want hesitation minors)
Take a bottle of water with you, have some when you pull over or before your maneuver if you need to (it helped to calm me down)
Try to ignore the examiner in terms of them making you feel pressured. Listen to their instructions and directions but pretend they are your instructor and its a normal test
Don't panic if you make a mistake. You may think its a mistake that causes you to fail but the examiner may see it as nothing (this happened to me, thought I hit the kerb in my parallel park and nearly cried and drove worse throughout the test :colondollar:)
Take your instructor in the test if you feel more comfortable with them

Good luck guys! :smile:
Original post by TeeEm
you called my lord?

I didn't mean drive first, Act such as don't drive thru them very slow, normal speed without causing traffic.. I got to position and drive fast within that short time coz there small....
Original post by GeologyMaths
Who goes first on a triple roundabout (if the roundabout is really small and all lanes are close to eatherother)?

priority to the right , and well whoever is already on the roundabout or is pulling out will dictate the rest of the pathway

I'm not sure whether having tablets before the test will help.. you don't want to slow your reaction rates you see. But my tip would be to think of it as some mock and don't think of it as anything major- this helps to keep the nerves down... and if it is meant to be, it will happen! Good luck
So tomorrow I have my test at 9am and I went out today in my instructors car. Prior to this I went in my boyfriends car over the weekend as my instructor was busy the weekend gone. I thought I drove pretty good in his car, he wasn't telling me what to do (that much) and let me drive in my style and I felt pretty confident. Today in my instructors car I thought I was confident and ready to go but some reason I was completely different. I was more nervous and more hesitant than I was this weekend. I don't know if it is because I have my test tomorrow or something else.. On my way to work after the driving lessons I was thinking about it and started to feel really really sick and wanted to vomit on the train. I don't want to feel like this when I do my driving test.

Urgh, I just feel like I'm going to fail tomorrow because of what happened today :/
Just failed mine cause I was turning right on a roundabout and I left it to late so I had to cut into the left hand lane of my exit.Apart from that I got one minor so mad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Failed 10 days ago because I didn't give way to another car when there was a parked car on my side of the road... The guy ended up beeping and swearing at me... Apart from that 2 minors next test is Friday!
Also... Did any of you have your driving instructor with you in the car when you did your test? I'm not sure on whether or not to have my instructor with me in the back seat. Worried it might add more pressure tomorrow or if it will help as I will have 2 opinions on my driving?

What do you guys think/ did in your tests??
Original post by Gabbie95
Also... Did any of you have your driving instructor with you in the car when you did your test? I'm not sure on whether or not to have my instructor with me in the back seat. Worried it might add more pressure tomorrow or if it will help as I will have 2 opinions on my driving?

What do you guys think/ did in your tests??

I thought it was easier with hour him just a lot less pressure and as low not as your examiner isn't a douche it will be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
So tomorrow I have my test at 9am and I went out today in my instructors car. Prior to this I went in my boyfriends car over the weekend as my instructor was busy the weekend gone. I thought I drove pretty good in his car, he wasn't telling me what to do (that much) and let me drive in my style and I felt pretty confident. Today in my instructors car I thought I was confident and ready to go but some reason I was completely different. I was more nervous and more hesitant than I was this weekend. I don't know if it is because I have my test tomorrow or something else.. On my way to work after the driving lessons I was thinking about it and started to feel really really sick and wanted to vomit on the train. I don't want to feel like this when I do my driving test.

Urgh, I just feel like I'm going to fail tomorrow because of what happened today :/

I had my instructor in the car with me when I passed. I found it calming :smile: Its also good as if you do fail, they will be there to give you support on what you need to improve for next time. Sometimes feedback from examiners isn't clear/you don't understand them so your instructor can tell you from their experience.

try not to panic too much, if will only make you drive worse. Try to find a 'happy place' in your head to drive so you're comfortable and happy :smile: I was really nervous the day before and morning of my test which is normal!

Good luck!! Let us know how you get on tomorrow :hugs:

Original post by Elizabeth_rose14
Failed 10 days ago because I didn't give way to another car when there was a parked car on my side of the road... The guy ended up beeping and swearing at me... Apart from that 2 minors next test is Friday!

Good luck for friday! :biggrin:

. Sorry ur feeling this way . U will
Be surprised by the results, u will pass. Take the fear away try to remember all what u learnt, avoid to do mistake , every time u approach harzards , traffic roundabouts, zebra crossing , junction, e.t.c remember how u were taught how to drive thru them.... and many more..
Original post by JBaguma
. Sorry ur feeling this way . U will
Be surprised by the results, u will pass. Take the fear away try to remember all what u learnt, avoid to do mistake , every time u approach harzards , traffic roundabouts, zebra crossing , junction, e.t.c remember how u were taught how to drive thru them.... and many more..

I'm also waiting mine... Failed twice ..
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
I had my instructor in the car with me when I passed. I found it calming :smile: Its also good as if you do fail, they will be there to give you support on what you need to improve for next time. Sometimes feedback from examiners isn't clear/you don't understand them so your instructor can tell you from their experience.

try not to panic too much, if will only make you drive worse. Try to find a 'happy place' in your head to drive so you're comfortable and happy :smile: I was really nervous the day before and morning of my test which is normal!

Good luck!! Let us know how you get on tomorrow :hugs:

Good luck for friday! :biggrin:

I passed!!

I got 3 minors overall, one was for speed, I went 30 in a 60 because I didn't see the sign and there wasn't a national speed limit all along the road and my examiner said that if I had a car behind me it would be a straight fail but that didn't happen. And my other 2 minors were for positioning in the road which were really petty things.

I think I was really lucky in getting the examiner I had and I thought I failed so many times!

But yeah, so happy I passed first time :smile:
I passed!!

I got 3 minors overall, one was for speed, I went 30 in a 60 because I didn't see the sign and there wasn't a national speed limit all along the road and my examiner said that if I had a car behind me it would be a straight fail but that didn't happen. And my other 2 minors were for positioning in the road which were really petty things.

I think I was really lucky in getting the examiner I had and I thought I failed so many times!

But yeah, so happy I passed first time :smile:

Ahhh so happy for you!!! :biggrin: Congrats!
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Ahhh so happy for you!!! :biggrin: Congrats!
well done u see! I told u , u will be surprised with the results . Pray for me too . Congz.
Failed for the first time today. I was 5 minutes away from the test centre on my way back and was turning right into a side road on a dual carriageway. When the traffic lights changed I went to go, but people from the side road started coming out & turning right so I couldnt go, then I waited and held up traffic behind me 😭 So annoyed, I would have passed with 4 minors otherwise. I can't get another test until May either :frown:
I failed mine last week as the examiner said I had breaked harshly at the pedestrian crossing. The car behind me could have hit me. I left wondering why didn't the car behind me leave a safe gap despite following a learners car. Anyway I think the examiners follow certain guidelines and can only pass a certain numbers every week/month. Does anyone agree/disagree??

Latest