The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mowgli5

Hey, I am applying for direct TCs. I have done two previous VSs but failed to secure a TC offer. In my TC applications should I just mention one of the firms? I am worried that they will question why I haven't secured an offer yet. One of the firms where I did my VC is significantly more "prestigious" than the other one. I was thinking about just mentioning that firm. What would you do?

I was in the exact same situation, having done two vacation schemes at university with top tier City firms and failed to secure a training contract with either firm. Nearly four years later, I finally secured a training contract with a MC firm, so just know it's challenging but certainly not impossible. It's all about marketing the experience in the right way so you may want to mention one VS firm and not the other depending on how similar the firm you're applying to the TC is.

For those of you who are still on what seems like a never ending cycle of applications/interviews/rejections, don't lose heart. It's an incredibly tough system and feels near to impossible at times but all it takes is one firm to trump all those applications and rejections.

I have (against my will!) built up a lot of experience over the past four years writing applications and doing assessment centres (and everything in between with tests, telephone interviews etc) so if anyone wants any advice at all from a seasoned pro, please do feel free to drop me a PM.
Original post by Cb9393
Nope not heard of anyone getting news. I want this one so bad

Same. I was on two Open Days with them so I will be really disheartened if I don't get at least an AC. I think we will hear tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 162
Original post by UniGradHopeful
Same. I was on two Open Days with them so I will be really disheartened if I don't get at least an AC. I think we will hear tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that just a guess at tomorrow? haha. I mean, it must be this week really, considering the fact they plan on starting AC's next week, and from what I have heard they send out all AC offers and rejections both all at the same time.
Original post by Cb9393
Nope not heard of anyone getting news. I want this one so bad

From their Facebook page (yesterday):

"Hi -----. We are currently still screening the TC applications as we speak so we will be in touch with the outcome either way by the end of the week.Best of luck!Many thanks ------"

If you do get to the AC msg me for details, I've done one last year (and failed:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by icenomad1
From their Facebook page (yesterday):

"Hi -----. We are currently still screening the TC applications as we speak so we will be in touch with the outcome either way by the end of the week.Best of luck!Many thanks ------"

If you do get to the AC msg me for details, I've done one last year (and failed:smile:

Aaaaah I'm going to feel sick all day until I get an email. Fingers crossed!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cb9393
Is that just a guess at tomorrow? haha. I mean, it must be this week really, considering the fact they plan on starting AC's next week, and from what I have heard they send out all AC offers and rejections both all at the same time.

No I seen that thing on their Facebook page so we should be hearing today. Let me know if you hear anything! I checked my account there now and it's still the same..

Posted from TSR Mobile
No hold up, I actually was convinced today was Friday. Mannnnn. It might be tomorrow I suppose 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw got a rejection from CC just now. Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard back from Norton Rose Fulbright re the direct entry for TC (grad/finalists deadline was late Jan). I've still not heard anything and their initial email said AC dates would be feb. Has anyone been invited to a AC and know when they start / or had a PFO? Not sure whether the wait is good or bad - or I've been put in the maybe pile to be dealt with after the initial obvious yays and nays...
Are the rest of you guys graduates or third/second years?
Original post by scorpioking12
Are the rest of you guys graduates or third/second years?

I graduated last year and am now doing the gdl :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vwalters94
I graduated last year and am now doing the gdl :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice what subject did you graduate in?
Original post by scorpioking12
Nice what subject did you graduate in?

I did history, what stage are you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys..! So this may be a very stupid question but i thought i'd ask anyways .. When do you think is the most ideal to apply for TCs? Of course the ideal scenario is that you have a TC at the beginning of your third year but that's near impossible right..? Especially with how BADLY VS applications turned out for me.. I didn't get anything in London :'( Very upset and quite lost frankly speaking..
Hi,

I got an invitation to an assessment centre (TC - Non Law) at Clifford chance on Friday, and have my assessment day next Friday. All online sources say another reasoning test is required either on the day of the assessment or prior to it. I emailed CC and they said "Thanks for your email and congratulations on being invited to interview.
The day of the assessment you will not be required to complete any further tests, there will just be a Competency interview and a case study interview." which is making me think they might spring a surprise watson glaser test the day before the assessment centre. anyone got any ideas?
Original post by J-SP
They won't spring any assessments on people purposely. It doesn't make sense to.

They might randomly select candidates/dates to get people to resist their WG to verify their results, but if they are telling you there won't be any other assessments, it's highly unlikely there will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks for the info - I thought I was being over-paranoid anyway! anyone else here got an assessment day with CC for TC-NONLaw coming up?
Hogan Lovells, anyone?
Has anyone here done a Mayer Brown/Nabarro AC? If so, could you please PM me with how it went, really nervous for them!
has anyone done the PwC Legal telephone interview yet? tips will be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 179
hey, does anyone have experience with roythornes- what does the initial interview involve?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending