The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Doesn't sound like anyone is getting much choice on it atm. I hear rumours of imposition tomorrow.

Now, how does one go about getting a job in the 'real world'?

My wife quit medicine a ST3 level and walked straight into a non-clinical post getting a consultant salary for a job with no antisocial hours.
If i was as clever, pretty or charasmatic as her I would do the same.

Alas I shall finish out my last few A&E grunt work years until CCT and then figure it out.

If this happened 5 years ago though and we didn't have spawn we would have both emigrated.
It's a myth that you need to complete F2 to progress to specialty training later on.

You just need to achieve a specific set of competencies which you can do in a trust job if you can get a consultant to agree to supervise you/sign you off, or you can get these done early in F2 and then hand notice in early?

Correct me if I'm wrong?
Original post by Smile88egc
It's a myth that you need to complete F2 to progress to specialty training later on.

You just need to achieve a specific set of competencies which you can do in a trust job if you can get a consultant to agree to supervise you/sign you off, or you can get these done early in F2 and then hand notice in early?

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Would be really interested to hear if this is true

Although I can't help but think it wouldn't look very good on your speciality application...
Original post by crazylemon
Doing what can I ask? I need to look at all the escape plans. Career ain't worth it. Done think I would even be happy doing 3 years til GP CCT...

Staff grade for a year then work on ships is my new master plan :tongue:

Or leave entirely

I am! And most people will be once this new deal comes in if it does.

she works for an insurance company.

You might not be able to get cruise ship work. I went ona few open days about 9 months ago - there were an awful lot fo people more senior than you going for it...
Plus the pay isn't that great - it was always made up for by the locuming when you were back in the UK - as if you spent more than x number of days out of uk per year you didnt have to pay tax on any earnings (including your locuming).
locum pay is falling fast now...

Correct me if I'm wrong?

I'm not sure if it would be acceptable to get "signed off" early in F2 and then quit prior to the end of the year, I can't imagine many ESs being happy with it, as I think there's a time component to the foundation programme as well as the competencies. There's also the question about the GMC "approved practice setting" restriction which gets lifted after F2.

The sign-off list is more for people who have worked outside the UK, or who finished the foundation programme more than a couple of years ago (a friend of mine who is switching from psych ST4 to GP has to get all her foundation competencies re-signed as she completed them too long ago).

Correct me if I'm wrong?

how pray are you going to get a job with out a foundation completion certificate, or your approved practice settings requirement removed ...
Hey guys

Just looking for some advice really, I'm quite anxious at the moment! I'm on A&E at the moment and was taking a repeat trop for a lady. Not the easiest veins in the world so I used a butterfly needle and attached a plastic vacutainer at the end. I ended up failing to get any blood (just a little flashback) but slipped and ended up poking my finger with the back end of the needle (the one with the small grey sheath that you attach the bottles to around it stupid I know)! There was no blood in the bottle when I checked

I was advised I was not at risk because it was not the needle that had entered the patient and there was no blood in the butterfly tube so this was essentially not anything to worry about. Just looking for any advice from anyone who has sustained needlesticks before and how you went about it.

Thanks
Original post by overclocked
Hey guys

Just looking for some advice really, I'm quite anxious at the moment! I'm on A&E at the moment and was taking a repeat trop for a lady. Not the easiest veins in the world so I used a butterfly needle and attached a plastic vacutainer at the end. I ended up failing to get any blood (just a little flashback) but slipped and ended up poking my finger with the back end of the needle (the one with the small grey sheath that you attach the bottles to around it stupid I know)! There was no blood in the bottle when I checked

I was advised I was not at risk because it was not the needle that had entered the patient and there was no blood in the butterfly tube so this was essentially not anything to worry about. Just looking for any advice from anyone who has sustained needlesticks before and how you went about it.

Thanks

Your hospital should have a policy for risk assessing needlestick injuries and deciding whether you/the patient needs testing/prophylaxis. It sounds like your injury was deemed low risk - and if there was no contact with the patient's blood that seems reasonable. Did you actually check in as a patient, or just ask one of your mates? You might want to have a word with Occ Health, but realistically I doubt they'll change anything.

My needlestick a few weeks ago was from a septic IVDU, and I had to check into A&E as a patient (fortunately got to skip the queue!) and then speak to Occ Health on the Monday.
Hey guys

Thanks

Usually best to follow the protocol and let the supervising consultant on at the time know it has occurred - ask a nurse if you can't find the protocol. I had a needle stick injury in A and E similar to yours as a student, followed the protocol but it was very low risk and nothing ever really happened.
Hey guys

Thanks

This sort of thing should be dealt with properly with filling out of papoerwork, booking you in as an ED attendance etc.
even if the end result is a 'too low risk to worry about PEP'
Original post by Helenia
Your hospital should have a policy for risk assessing needlestick injuries and deciding whether you/the patient needs testing/prophylaxis. It sounds like your injury was deemed low risk - and if there was no contact with the patient's blood that seems reasonable. Did you actually check in as a patient, or just ask one of your mates? You might want to have a word with Occ Health, but realistically I doubt they'll change anything.

My needlestick a few weeks ago was from a septic IVDU, and I had to check into A&E as a patient (fortunately got to skip the queue!) and then speak to Occ Health on the Monday.

Thanks for the advice everyone

I spoke to the consultant in a and e who followed a protocol and who asked me to speak to occupational health. I spoke to them and they said it was essentially a clean needle so I didn't need to do anything. Think I'm just worrying over nothing !

Sorry about your needlestick! Did you have bloods taken?
Thanks for the advice everyone

I spoke to the consultant in a and e who followed a protocol and who asked me to speak to occupational health. I spoke to them and they said it was essentially a clean needle so I didn't need to do anything. Think I'm just worrying over nothing !

Sorry about your needlestick! Did you have bloods taken?

Yes, and someone else had to go and bleed the patient to test them as well. All negative, but I have to go back in 6 months for another re-test.
Original post by TheRabbit
Usually best to follow the protocol and let the supervising consultant on at the time know it has occurred - ask a nurse if you can't find the protocol. I had a needle stick injury in A and E similar to yours as a student, followed the protocol but it was very low risk and nothing ever really happened.

Ah okay reassuring to know this! What happened in your incident? Did you also stick yourself with the back end of the needle covered by rubber?
Reply 4033
I should be getting 42k (pre-tax) as an F2 with all my 1A banded jobs. Under the new contract, basic pay will increase from 28k to 30k. There's still another 12k that I doubt will be compensated completely under the new premiums for on-call work. Weekends now being paid at 30% premium rate. Nights at 50%.

I'll need to ask someone doing my F2 jobs what their rota is to calculate exactly what the pay difference is...but surely it looks like a cut!?
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah okay reassuring to know this! What happened in your incident? Did you also stick yourself with the back end of the needle covered by rubber?

I can't quite remember exactly but the patient was in resus and we were trying to get bloods from a cannula off to the lab quickly, I think it was putting blood from a syringe either into pre-vacuumed monovettes or an ABG syringe, someone had put a fresh needle on the syringe but in taking off the needle cap I caught myself. I was wearing gloves (decreasing risk) and there hadn't been any pressure going through the syringe so the new needle was still essentially clean - didn't stop me worrying though!
Original post by TheRabbit
I can't quite remember exactly but the patient was in resus and we were trying to get bloods from a cannula off to the lab quickly, I think it was putting blood from a syringe either into pre-vacuumed monovettes or an ABG syringe, someone had put a fresh needle on the syringe but in taking off the needle cap I caught myself. I was wearing gloves (decreasing risk) and there hadn't been any pressure going through the syringe so the new needle was still essentially clean - didn't stop me worrying though!

Oh okay I see, sort of sounds similar to mine. Did you have any bloods taken?
Even though I've been given advice by occ health I'm still somehow super anxious, I'll probably get tested anyway at 1 month and 3 months to be sure and the safe side! The joys of working in a ultra busy tiny A&E!
Oh okay I see, sort of sounds similar to mine. Did you have any bloods taken?
Even though I've been given advice by occ health I'm still somehow super anxious, I'll probably get tested anyway at 1 month and 3 months to be sure and the safe side! The joys of working in a ultra busy tiny A&E!

They didn't test me - not sure if they tested the patients blood or not as they just took care of things. She was a free-churcher in her 90s so I guess less likely to have anything than an IVDU. We've had some awkward ones on the ward with needlesticks in demented patients who can't give permission for a new sample to be taken (and it is not in their interests therefore you cannot justify taking a sample from them) and then blood sciences have refused to send on bloods from them to virology for the testing.
Original post by Jamie
If this happened 5 years ago though and we didn't have spawn we would have both emigrated.

I asked almost everyone I saw this week what their post-contract-imposition plan was, and the most common middle-grade response was this. "If it wasn't for the kids/mortgage/other half's career..." F2's who didn't apply for training (or applied bit aren't keen on the idea now) are going abroad, or into management consultancy.

I'm F2, going to be F3/LAS in August. Initially had a panicked search of recruitment websites but there's no other job that seems to offer what medicine does without simply doing medicine in another country.
I had to get out the dantrolene last night! :eek:

And then got a whingy phone call from pharmacy "just to let you know" that I had used half the hospital stock and now they didn't have enough if there was another case before morning. Erm, yes, and a)how likely is that and b)how is it my problem?
Original post by Helenia
I had to get out the dantrolene last night! :eek:

And then got a whingy phone call from pharmacy "just to let you know" that I had used half the hospital stock and now they didn't have enough if there was another case before morning. Erm, yes, and a)how likely is that and b)how is it my problem?

Very irresponsible of you.
You should let your patient die in case another patient comes in who needs it (who will need to be let die so another patient could have it etc etc until it goes out fo date...)

Latest