The Student Room Group

Medicine as second degree, tuition fee loans?

Hey guys, in my final semester of BioMed but wanting to pursue medicine once I finish. I'll more than likely be going the Undergrad route.

Can I get tuition fee loans for this degree too? I understand that this never used to be the case in the past. However I have been informed by someone in the same position as myself that when they have spoken to Student Finance (twice), they were assured that they can now get tuition fee loans - because the degree is related to the original and because its a medicine degree.

Can anyone confirm or deny this comment? I'm going to ring Student Finance myself on Monday but would ideally like to know before then as its bugging me.

Thanks,
Danny.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Spudhead
Hey guys, in my final semester of BioMed but wanting to pursue medicine once I finish. I'll more than likely be going the Undergrad route.

Can I get tuition fee loans for this degree too? I understand that this never used to be the case in the past. However I have been informed by someone in the same position as myself that when they have spoken to Student Finance (twice), they were assured that they can now get tuition fee loans - because the degree is related to the original and because its a medicine degree.

Can anyone confirm or deny this comment? I'm going to ring Student Finance myself on Monday but would ideally like to know before then as its bugging me.

Thanks,
Danny.

As far as I know, it isn't. You can get financed for the whole of a four-year graduate entry course (with the exception of about £3 000 in first year), but the regular five year courses would count as a second undergraduate degree to which the exception isn't applied. If this has changed recently, it must be very recent for me not to have heard about it.

I suggest that you contact Student Finance England/Wales/Scotland/NI (whichever is applicable) to confirm whether this is true before applying to any five-year courses.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, the only problem with graduate entry is that its super competitive and there are very few Uni's that offer it :frown:.

I was hoping not to have to up sticks and move away somewhere.

But yeah I'll ring SFE on Monday. I won't be applying for a while yet anyways, don't think 2017 places are even open yet are they?
Original post by Spudhead
Thanks for the reply, the only problem with graduate entry is that its super competitive and there are very few Uni's that offer it :frown:.

I was hoping not to have to up sticks and move away somewhere.

Sorry to read about it. Unfortunately, medicine is difficult to get into through pretty much any route; some routes are just harder than others.

But yeah I'll ring SFE on Monday. I won't be applying for a while yet anyways, don't think 2017 places are even open yet are they?

No, UCAS is still going through the 2016 application cycle. It'll open up for 2017 entry in September and you'll need to make sure that your application is sent off by the earlier deadline of 18:00 on 15 October 2017, reference and all. :smile:

Because graduate entry medicine is so competitive, you'll need to apply to places best suited to your strengths, so you should start researching now. Here's a starting point: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending