The Student Room Group

Baker Tilly/RSM first-stage assessment, what to expect?

Hi,

I have been invited to the first-stage assessment center at Baker Tilly/RSM.

Anyone that has already done this, what can I expect on the day? Also, what can I expect in the Numerical and Verbal Reasoning tests?

Any other pointers would be great, too.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's basically just written verbal & numerical tests. You'll be given a booklet compiled of articles and reports around a general company and topic. You will then use the information in these to complete both tests (one after another), marking your answers on a separate answer sheet. The numerical is harder than the verbal as you will need to flick between pages to find the data you need to use for each calculation. Whereas the verbal questions are pretty much in order of the articles.
Reply 2
I have this tomorrow and I'm so worried.
Are there any certain topics I should revise for the numerical one?
Reply 3
It's nothing complex. Multiplication, division, averages, percentage change, etc. Just the normal topics that you'd expect
Reply 4
Original post by Pav.hayer
I have this tomorrow and I'm so worried.
Are there any certain topics I should revise for the numerical one?

Hey, hope it went well. I have my next week, can you shed some lights on what I should revise? Was it harder than the online ones?
Original post by sfs1012
Hey, hope it went well. I have my next week, can you shed some lights on what I should revise? Was it harder than the online ones?

Literally so easy. much easier than the online ones. If you're performing well online, you'll do very well in this one.

I don't think there is a high pass requirement. I know someone who didn't answer the last 6 questions on the maths one and got through.

Just revise basic maths really. Make sure you can do percentages/ratios/fractions etc, very basic stuff.
Reply 6
Original post by Fas
Literally so easy. much easier than the online ones. If you're performing well online, you'll do very well in this one.

I don't think there is a high pass requirement. I know someone who didn't answer the last 6 questions on the maths one and got through.

Just revise basic maths really. Make sure you can do percentages/ratios/fractions etc, very basic stuff.

Omg I found it the opposite, the online ones were so easy, I found it pretty hard tbh, the verbal one is fine, but numerical - I hated it!!
Reply 7
Original post by Fas

Cheers, I will work on those. How many questions are there and how much time do you have in total?
Original post by sfs1012
Cheers, I will work on those. How many questions are there and how much time do you have in total?

Maths, it was 30 questions in 35 minutes. For the verbal, it was 40 questions in 20 minutes.

It is based off a case study they give you - nothing to be alarmed over, just a different way of asking the questions.
Reply 9
Hi, do they conduct any interviews or any other assessment activity during the first stage assessment centre? Or is it just the tests?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by v4eva
Hi, do they conduct any interviews or any other assessment activity during the first stage assessment centre? Or is it just the tests?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Just tests
Reply 11
Original post by Fas
Maths, it was 30 questions in 35 minutes. For the verbal, it was 40 questions in 20 minutes.

It is based off a case study they give you - nothing to be alarmed over, just a different way of asking the questions.

Fair enough, thanks. Best way to prepare you'd say? Is it really different that it was on a case study, doesn't it make it harder?

Also do you read the case study before you answer the questions or is that up to you? Like you can read q's before...
Original post by Chelysc
Fair enough, thanks. Best way to prepare you'd say? Is it really different that it was on a case study, doesn't it make it harder?

Also do you read the case study before you answer the questions or is that up to you? Like you can read q's before...

Just keep practicing the numerical and verbal reasoning tests online. Nah not one bit, the case study is just information, the questions will be like "In the section on Land Development, the graph showcases the funds needed to purchase different machinery. What % of the total funds was needed for Machine A" or something like that. The regular online numerical and verbal reasoning tests will put you in good stead.

Yes, I think you get some time to go through it before the test. Obviously refer back to it during the test, but you get a chance to read through it beforehand.
Reply 13
Original post by Fas
Just keep practicing the numerical and verbal reasoning tests online. Nah not one bit, the case study is just information, the questions will be like "In the section on Land Development, the graph showcases the funds needed to purchase different machinery. What % of the total funds was needed for Machine A" or something like that. The regular online numerical and verbal reasoning tests will put you in good stead.

Yes, I think you get some time to go through it before the test. Obviously refer back to it during the test, but you get a chance to read through it beforehand.

Thank you so much for that. For the verbal reasoning is it just true/false/cannot say?
Original post by Chelysc
Thank you so much for that. For the verbal reasoning is it just true/false/cannot say?

I think so, yeah. I did this test a few months ago so I cannot remember exactly, but I'm 99% sure it was just true/false/cannot say. They're may have been a "more information needed" option or something additional, but I don't think there was.
Reply 15
Thank you!
Reply 16
Do you guys know who the test supplier is for this exam? SHL or what? Because they give links but is there a specific supplier from?
Original post by Chelysc
Do you guys know who the test supplier is for this exam? SHL or what? Because they give links but is there a specific supplier from?

Hey what offices did you apply for? I've been told I'm through to the test stage but no information yet.
Reply 18
I was wondering if anyone has received/accepted an offer for the London Farringdon office?!
Reply 19
I've also been invited to do verbal reasoning and numerical online tests, any tips?

What are the verbal reasoning tests like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending