The Student Room Group

Are Universities listed as 'listed bodies' accredited?

On a Wikipedia page:

'Accreditation

Institutions that have degree-awarding powers in the UK are known as "recognised bodies". There are also "listed bodies" which do not have degree awarding powers but provide complete courses leading to recognized UK degrees, validated by institutions which have degree-awarding powers. The Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills has this University as a "listed body". The degrees granted at this University are validated by the Open University Validation Services.'
Original post by similarBlank
On a Wikipedia page:

'Accreditation

Institutions that have degree-awarding powers in the UK are known as "recognised bodies". There are also "listed bodies" which do not have degree awarding powers but provide complete courses leading to recognized UK degrees, validated by institutions which have degree-awarding powers. The Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills has this University as a "listed body". The degrees granted at this University are validated by the Open University Validation Services.'

If an organisation isn't able to award degrees (and is awarding degrees validated by a university) then they aren't officially a University.

That doesn't mean that the degrees on offer there are not good but it might mean the people teaching the degree have less or no control over the content of the course or the way the course is structured (like schools can't control what exam boards put on a GCSE or A level syllabus).

Is there a particular organisation/degree that you're asking about?
Original post by PQ
If an organisation isn't able to award degrees (and is awarding degrees validated by a university) then they aren't officially a University.

That doesn't mean that the degrees on offer there are not good but it might mean the people teaching the degree have less or no control over the content of the course or the way the course is structured (like schools can't control what exam boards put on a GCSE or A level syllabus).

Is there a particular organisation/degree that you're asking about?

Well, I had a look and on wikipedia it says degrees by this University are accredited in the USA and are validated in the UK.

It's an American Studies course.
Well, I had a look and on wikipedia it says degrees by this University are accredited in the USA and are validated in the UK.

It's an American Studies course.

http://www.richmond.ac.uk/undergraduate-programmes/school-of-communications-arts-social-sciences/ba-degree-in-american-studies/ right?

If so then there's no reason to be concerned about reputation. Richmond is well established and well understood as a recognised HE provider.

The only warning is to be sure that you're able to afford the fees. If you're a UK/EU student then you'll only receive a loan covering £6,000pa towards the £9,000pa fees. So you'll need to be able to fund £3,000pa in fees from your own pocket.
Original post by PQ
http://www.richmond.ac.uk/undergraduate-programmes/school-of-communications-arts-social-sciences/ba-degree-in-american-studies/ right?

If so then there's no reason to be concerned about reputation. Richmond is well established and well understood as a recognised HE provider.

The only warning is to be sure that you're able to afford the fees. If you're a UK/EU student then you'll only receive a loan covering £6,000pa towards the £9,000pa fees. So you'll need to be able to fund £3,000pa in fees from your own pocket.

Yeah, I was quite concerned about that but I've worked out a system to pay for it.

However, you seem to know a lot so it'd be nice if you could make sure I'm right. (I'm going to round up the numbers to make it easier.)

Tuition fees at Richmond = £9000 Accomodation twin room = £7000

£9000 + £7000 = £16000

Student loans = £6000 Maintenance loan = £10000

£6000 + £10000 = £16000

From what I can see, if I used the money from the maintenance loan I'd be able to pay for the tuition fees. The prices I have there were rounded, as I said, but I have done the specific calculations and I'd have to pay about £100 myself, which I can do.

Just wondering, would this work?
Reply 5
Yeah, I was quite concerned about that but I've worked out a system to pay for it.

However, you seem to know a lot so it'd be nice if you could make sure I'm right. (I'm going to round up the numbers to make it easier.)

Tuition fees at Richmond = £9000 Accomodation twin room = £7000

£9000 + £7000 = £16000

Student loans = £6000 Maintenance loan = £10000

£6000 + £10000 = £16000

From what I can see, if I used the money from the maintenance loan I'd be able to pay for the tuition fees. The prices I have there were rounded, as I said, but I have done the specific calculations and I'd have to pay about £100 myself, which I can do.

Just wondering, would this work?

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid direct to the uni. Student Finance pays the uni £6000 and you will pay the uni £3000. You can use your £10000 Maintenance Loan to pay that £3000 tuition fee balance if you want to. However, that will leave you £7000, which is only enough money to pay your student accommodation rent. You will have to find extra money for all your other living expenses - food, drink, travel costs, books, possibly the cost of living elsewhere outside term time etc.
Original post by Klix88
The Tuition Fee Loan is paid direct to the uni. Student Finance pays the uni £6000 and you will pay the uni £3000. You can use your £10000 Maintenance Loan to pay that £3000 tuition fee balance if you want to. However, that will leave you £7000, which is only enough money to pay your student accommodation rent. You will have to find extra money for all your other living expenses - food, drink, travel costs, books, possibly the cost of living elsewhere outside term time etc.

I forgot to mention the rooms at Richmond come with a meal plan, so that's food and drink covered. :smile: The others I can't imagine costing too much but I plan to start earning money when I get to University and also plan to get a student bank account with a 0% overdraft to cover anything in an emergency.
I forgot to mention the rooms at Richmond come with a meal plan, so that's food and drink covered. :smile: The others I can't imagine costing too much but I plan to start earning money when I get to University and also plan to get a student bank account with a 0% overdraft to cover anything in an emergency.

I would guess that the meal plan doesn't cover all food and drink, they usually just cover two meals and even then you have to account for eating out. For other costs you're probably looking at about £20-30 per week for going for drinks, to clubs, cinemas, etc.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I would guess that the meal plan doesn't cover all food and drink, they usually just cover two meals and even then you have to account for eating out. For other costs you're probably looking at about £20-30 per week for going for drinks, to clubs, cinemas, etc.

This university does 3 meals Monday-Friday, 1 meal Saturday and 2 on Sunday. (I'm not a massive eater and, I think, only really eat 1 or 2 meals as it is now so that's fine to me.) I'm also really not all that socialible. I dislike alcohol and partying and crowds, so I highly doubt I'd be going for drinks and clubs partucularly often. And I've only been to the cinema once in the last 12 years, so doubt that'll change dramatically. Anything else ought to be covered by my overdraft and making money. :smile:

Quick Reply