The Student Room Group

Differentiation

I'm aware this is probably rather easy but i just cant seem to get that answer and it's really irritating me, can someone talk us through it please.

FOR OCR.png

***Click on the picture and it goes to a reasonable size***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jackpethick
I'm aware this is probably rather easy but i just cant seem to get that answer and it's really irritating me, can someone talk us through it please.

FOR OCR.png

What have you tried so far?
Reply 2

FOR OCR.png

Why don't you try differentiating with respect to yy so that you get dxdy\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}y} and then flip them over (reciprocate) to get dydx\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} You will need to use the chain and product rule to do the differentiation.
Original post by Slowbro93
What have you tried so far?

I tried the chain rule and that didnt work so did the product rule. I'm gonna give it another go now ive left it for 5, literally couldnt seem to get to that answer haha
Reply 4

FOR OCR.png

The easiest way to show this is probably using dydx=1/dxdy\dfrac{dy}{dx}=1/\dfrac{dx}{dy}.

EDIT: Oh my so very slow. :frown:
Original post by Zacken
Why don't you try differentiating with respect to yy so that you get dxdy\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}y} and then flip them over (reciprocate) to get dydx\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} You will need to use the chain and product rule to do the differentiation.

It would be useful to see if he's already done that and whether it's the case that he's having an issue with algebra. Start with what they now and work from there.
I tried the chain rule and that didnt work so did the product rule. I'm gonna give it another go now ive left it for 5, literally couldnt seem to get to that answer haha

Well you'll have to use the chain rule, but have you considered combining it with the product rule. Where is your working? :smile:
I've worked it out for you, just trying to find out how to post a pic of my solution
Reply 8
Original post by antebellum
I've worked it out for you, just trying to find out how to post a pic of my solution

Please don't, it's best to try to guide the OP to the solution rather than do it for them.
Besides full solutions except as an absolute last resort are against forum guidelines.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joostan
Please don't, it's best to try to guide the OP to the solution rather than do it for them.

Well okay then, all they need to do is use a cheeky bit of product rule
Original post by KINGYusuf
Yeah it's easy, leme send a pic

This is a maths forum, Yusuf. Unsolicited dick pics are largely frowned upon.
Original post by antebellum
This is a maths forum, Yusuf. Unsolicited dick pics are largely frowned upon.

LOOOL
Yeah it's easy, leme send a pic

Original post by joostan
Besides full solutions except as an absolute last resort are against forum guidelines.

:facepalm:
Original post by Student403
:facepalm:

I didn't read that part, mb.
I didn't read that part, mb.

Thanks for deleting it :biggrin:

You use both the chain rule and product rule. Chain rule first to differentiate the square root term. Then product rule for everything

Student403 the genius himself, what an honour

no sarcasm btw :smile:
Student403 the genius himself, what an honour

no sarcasm btw :smile:

>.<