The Student Room Group

His house is really messy, what should I do?

Hi everyone :smile:

I met a guy online some months ago when I was getting over heartbreak and became quite attached (well, as attached as I can get to an online personality). I finally decided to visit him and had a really good time. One thing I can't get out of my mind was how messy his house was though :frown:. I like to keep my surroundings pristine and value good manners. He burps in front of me and does the occasional fart, which I found disgusting. His personal hygiene is good, otherwise I would have run a mile.

When we were about to go to sleep we cuddled in bed, which was nice. He wanted to have sex but I wasn't sure. I want to see him again but the thought of the messy house gives me anxiety and I don't know whether it's something I can get over. Should I get away from this situation? He seems quite attached to me and I don't want to do anything hurtful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone :smile:

I met a guy online some months ago when I was getting over heartbreak and became quite attached (well, as attached as I can get to an online personality). I finally decided to visit him and had a really good time. One thing I can't get out of my mind was how messy his house was though :frown:. I like to keep my surroundings pristine and value good manners. He burps in front of me and does the occasional fart, which I found disgusting. His personal hygiene is good, otherwise I would have run a mile.

When we were about to go to sleep we cuddled in bed, which was nice. He wanted to have sex but I wasn't sure. I want to see him again but the thought of the messy house gives me anxiety and I don't know whether it's something I can get over. Should I get away from this situation? He seems quite attached to me and I don't want to do anything hurtful.
This has to be a troll.

If it isn't, just get over yourself.
Reply 2
Can't respect his property why would he respect his wife
Ask him to go to your place instead?
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
This has to be a troll.

If it isn't, just get over yourself.

I promise I'm not a troll. Cleanliness is very important to me.
Reply 5
Original post by Legendary Quest
Ask him to go to your place instead?

I'mean still a student so am living in a house share, we're also in different parts of the country. I'll see what he says if I ask him to visit my city instead.
I'mean still a student so am living in a house share, we're also in different parts of the country. I'll see what he says if I ask him to visit my city instead.

You could just slyly tell him you prefer tidy places
Reply 7
I promise I'm not a troll. Cleanliness is very important to me.
More important than a person who could be the most important person in your life, potentially? :lol:
Clean it for him
Reply 9
Original post by Tootles
More important than a person who could be the most important person in your life, potentially? :lol:

We get along great but that was the first time that we met in person. Sometimes if you're polar opposites with someone when it comes to a certain issue, this is enough to make the two of you incompatible. Not saying that I'm just going to cut him out of my life because of this but it's important enough to make me want to at least address it with him.
Clean it for him

But if I do that it will just get messy again after I leave because he might not look after it. I don't want to be his maid :frown:
Its not that much of an issue, surely. Unless its a right tip.

Tidy it up one day - he might get the idea.
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
Its not that much of an issue, surely. Unless its a right tip.

Tidy it up one day - he might get the idea.

The mess is everywhere.

I could try that once (but only once) and hope for the best. The problem is that he seems aware because he told me the week before I arrived that he needs to clean the house for me.
Reply 13
Clean it for him, then look forward to continue doing it for the rest of your lives together.
The mess is everywhere.

I could try that once (but only once) and hope for the best. The problem is that he seems aware because he told me the week before I arrived that he needs to clean the house for me.

What kind of mess? Clothes strewn everywhere, unwashed dishes etc?
Original post by Reue
Clean it for him, then look forward to continue doing it for the rest of your lives together.

:cry2: :cry2:
Tell him you expect him to be mature and look after his place of residence, a messy house is a sign that he is immature and/or lazy.
omg lol this is like that episode of friends where ross dates that woman whose apartment is so gross
Original post by Nettled
What kind of mess? Clothes strewn everywhere, unwashed dishes etc?

Yes, his bedroom has clothes all over the floor, dishes are unwashed, all of his things are scattered everywhere, toothpaste splatter on the bathroom mirror. Things like that.

He did wash his bedsheets, at least.
Original post by Slutty Salafi
Tell him you expect him to be mature and look after his place of residence, a messy house is a sign that he is immature and/or lazy.

He saidid he would clean the place for me but didn't sound very keen. It seems that he is lazy when it comes to cleaning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending