The Student Room Group

Transport in London - Which ticket should I get?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are going to London in a couple of weeks for 3 days. The issue of transport has only just crossed my mind, I obviously want to get the tube frequently however I'm curious as to the cost. We will be in central London and get on the tube a few times a day. I was going to just use apple pay for each journey, but if I'm paying for 8-10 Journeys a day how much will that cost me? Is there a day ticket with unlimited use? Is it worth getting an oyster card?

In short, what's the cheapest way/ticket for the tube to travel around London for 3 days?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

My girlfriend and I are going to London in a couple of weeks for 3 days. The issue of transport has only just crossed my mind, I obviously want to get the tube frequently however I'm curious as to the cost. We will be in central London and get on the tube a few times a day. I was going to just use apple pay for each journey, but if I'm paying for 8-10 Journeys a day how much will that cost me? Is there a day ticket with unlimited use? Is it worth getting an oyster card?

In short, what's the cheapest way/ticket for the tube to travel around London for 3 days?

Hiya! I don't know why this is anonymous but anyway :erm:

Go for an Oyster card or Apple Pay. It's the cheapest way to do things. After x amount of journeys, your fare is capped anyway (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-is-capping) so there's truly no need to worry! Don't be afraid of getting buses either, they're brilliant around here :giggle: but be careful, paper tickets are abolished on London buses and have been since last year. Preferably get an Oyster. You can collect any unused fares too at the end of your trip.

Have a good time in London! :h:
Stick £15 each on two visitor Oyster cards it was more than enough for us when we went to London for a couple of days.
Reply 3
Sorry, didn't mean to make it anonymous.

Original post by iEthan
Hiya! I don't know why this is anonymous but anyway :erm:

Go for an Oyster card or Apple Pay. It's the cheapest way to do things. After x amount of journeys, your fare is capped anyway (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-is-capping) so there's truly no need to worry! Don't be afraid of getting buses either, they're brilliant around here :giggle: but be careful, paper tickets are abolished on London buses and have been since last year. Preferably get an Oyster. You can collect any unused fares too at the end of your trip.

Have a good time in London! :h:

I'll definitely do one of the two, I'll probably use apple pay and get an oyster card for my girlfriend. Do you know if I can pick up an Oyster card in London or do I have to order one? Also, how much?
Original post by AK201296

I'll definitely do one of the two, I'll probably use apple pay and get an oyster card for my girlfriend. Do you know if I can pick up an Oyster card in London or do I have to order one? Also, how much?

You can order a Visitor Oyster (which comes with a few discounts etc……) or you can buy one in any newsagent in London :yep: they typically cost around £3.
Reply 5
Original post by AK201296

You can buy oyester cards at most local shops which allow oyester top-ups.

& I know there's definitely a daily cap on oyester cards, but I didn't think there was one for Apple Pay/Contactless Cards - I thought that they were trying to find a way to intrduce a cap:s-smilie:
Original post by KaylaB
You can buy oyester cards at most local shops which allow oyester top-ups.

& I know there's definitely a daily cap on oyester cards, but I didn't think there was one for Apple Pay/Contactless Cards - I thought that they were trying to find a way to intrduce a cap:s-smilie:

There definitely is! :yep: Works exactly the same :excited:
Reply 7
Original post by iEthan
There definitely is! :yep: Works exactly the same :excited:

Ah okay splendid news :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending