The Student Room Group

Trigonometry maths homework help

Hi, can anyone help me with 10i) and 10ii), I have no idea where to start! Thanks for any help
IMG_2156.jpg
Original post by Imo_rai
Hi, can anyone help me with 10i) and 10ii), I have no idea where to start! Thanks for any help
IMG_2156.jpg

For 10 i) can't you square root then use the cos-1 () function?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Both of these lead to standard angles
i) cosθ=±32 \cos \theta = \pm \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} .

ii) tanθ=±3 \tan \theta = \pm \sqrt 3 .
Just use symmetry and periodicity of the cos and tan curves to find the other values in the range specified.
All the answers are rational multiples of π \pi so you get nice answers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Imo_rai
IMG_2156.jpg

Same principal for 10ii) where you add 3, square root and tan-1 ()? Just a suggestion cause this doesn't look like GCSE maths and so I can't really definitely talk about higher maths :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by I'm_infires
For 10 i) can't you square root then use the cos-1 () function?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can, but there may be additional solutions within that range, so it may be best to think geographically or use the CAST diagram or whatever method you normally use.
Original post by Imo_rai
IMG_2156.jpg

But it does say for 0 <= theta <= 2pi. Sorry I haven't helped much :tongue: forget me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KaylaB
They can, but there may be additional solutions within that range, so it may be best to think geographically or use the CAST diagram or whatever method you normally use.

Yeah I noticed the range afterwards :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by B_9710
Both of these lead to standard angles
i) cosθ=±32 \cos \theta = \pm \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} .

ii) tanθ=±3 \tan \theta = \pm \sqrt 3 .
Just use symmetry and periodicity of the cos and tan curves to find the other values in the range specified.
All the answers are rational multiples of π \pi so you get nice answers.

I think I was just being a bit stupid, this has really helped, thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by I'm_infires
Same principal for 10ii) where you add 3, square root and tan-1 ()? Just a suggestion cause this doesn't look like GCSE maths and so I can't really definitely talk about higher maths :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes this worked, thank you for our help, I've managed to do it now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest