The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Agreed, it absolutely sucks, especially for those whose sixth forms aren't doing AS exams.

I'm lucky in that mine is. :smile:

The reason that it's so unfair is that these students didn't know how important their GCSEs would be when they took them.

There you go.Plus my sixth form doesn't do AS exams.

FFS stupid idiots who try to be cheeky.
I don't know that we'd be able to judge the fairness of the reforms until we've been through a cohort that have been subject to both GCSE and A-level reforms.
Reply 22
Original post by 999tigger
well the OP seems convinced and he's mature.
If they have taken AS out then by default GCSE becomes slightly more relevant, but I think the person who told the OP must have stopped tkaing their medication.

I fin this idea of its just not fair awesome. It should be the opening line of the personal statement.

And isn't it unfair how unis will now judge on GCSE grades?

For example:

A maths person before this change could've been good at Maths but not that good at English/Humanities therefore he/she picked Maths based A levels and smashed them!

NOW:

A Maths lover is excellent at Maths,gets A*'s in his GCSE yet he gets C's and B's in Humanity subjects,and mediocre grades in shitty subjects like DT which aren't even relevent to what they are doing.

Isn't that too unfair.At least people could redeem themselves with their A Levels score and still get into Cambridge based on their UMS but now its their gcses which matter,half of the gcses that they have no passion for or they were forced.

My school forced us to pick Art and now i'm failing in it due to the fact that i am not a good drawer,my talents are best used to other subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by john2054
what is your degree grade average Java?

For what it's worth, here are my results:

GCSE
AABCCCCCDE

AS levels
ADE

OCR Nationals
DD

Certificate of Higher Education
PASS

BA
Expected 1st

How's that for a turn around? :smile:
Original post by AGBF

And isn't it unfair how unis will now judge on GCSE grades?

For example:

A maths person before this change could've been good at Maths but not that good at English/Humanities therefore he/she picked Maths based A levels and smashed them!

NOW:

A Maths lover is excellent at Maths,gets A*'s in his GCSE yet he gets C's and B's in Humanity subjects,and mediocre grades in shitty subjects like DT which aren't even relevent to what they are doing.

Isn't that too unfair.At least people could redeem themselves with their A Levels score and still get into Cambridge based on their UMS but now its their gcses which matter,half of the gcses that they have no passion for or they were forced.

My school forced us to pick Art and now i'm failing in it due to the fact that i am not a good drawer,my talents are best used to other subjects.

Have you got some evidence how Unis have changed their policy to judge GCSE's as more important than A levels?

Youll be at the exact same disadvantage ( I dont believe it is one) as all the other people who wont do AS levels. Believe it or not interviewers can tell the difference, will understand the changes and form a fair decision.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well done Fish, whats it in?
Reply 26
Have you got some evidence how Unis have changed their policy to judge GCSE's as more important than A levels?

Youll be at the exact same disadvantage ( I dont believe it is one) as all the other people who wont do AS levels. Believe it or not interviewers can tell the difference, will understand the changes and form a fair decision.

yeahhhhhh

Which.University(.com) reports that admissision managers will take GCSE's into consideration due to AS levels not being important/

It clearly is a disadvantage.Like i said,people who are good at certain subjects excel at it,whilst doing mediocre(or not as well) on other different subjects(Maths compared to shitty Art for example).So if the past cohorts of A level students were judge on their AS levels,and they managed to do excellent in them,it really is unfair that we are judged on subjects(GCSE) which we have no passion for.
It seems that if someone is not doing an AS Level, GCSEs will be looked at as part of the decision on whether to make an offer. This will be only one part of the decision process - in addition to the personal statement, reference and predicted grades forming the overall decision.

But, like I said, we cannot tell how this will affect students until the systems have a bit more certainty. (We don't know how GCSE grades A*-G will translate to 1-9 yet!)

X

Original post by AGBF
X
Original post by AGBF
Apprantly A level reforms means GCSE is now MUCH more important to unis but isn't it unfair,i mean some of our gcse options were forced upon us and others we picked as young immature people.Atleast with A levels you pick when your mature and have passion for the subject.But yh now top universities will judge based on GCSE's,and its so unfair tbh

I've been told that GCSE matters much more due to AS being removed(more or less) and that is what univeristies will judge you by :frown:

Tell your parents not to vote for the conservative party next time
Well done Fish, whats it in?

Graphic Design. :smile:

And I refute @AGBF's comment about art being shitty. :noway:
Reply 30
Original post by Roving Fish
It seems that if someone is not doing an AS Level, GCSEs will be looked at as part of the decision on whether to make an offer. This will be only one part of the decision process - in addition to the personal statement, reference and predicted grades forming the overall decision.

But, like I said, we cannot tell how this will affect students until the systems have a bit more certainty. (We don't know how GCSE grades A*-G will translate to 1-9 yet!)

Well i'm not doing 9-1 gcse.Im doing A*-C gcse and underoing A levels reforms(my school doesn't do AS )
For what it's worth, here are my results:

GCSE
AABCCCCCDE

AS levels
ADE

OCR Nationals
DD

Certificate of Higher Education
PASS

BA
Expected 1st

How's that for a turn around? :smile:

What degree are you doing, which uni, and what is your grade average so far? I really don't see how you can turn those grades around to a first in such a short space of time, i'm afraid to say!!!
Reply 32
Original post by William Pitt
Tell your parents not to vote for the conservative party next time

They didn't .
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by john2054
What degree are you doing, which uni, and what is your grade average so far? I really don't see how you can turn those grades around to a first in such a short space of time, i'm afraid to say!!!

Short amount of time? Oi. That's over 6 years and higher education is entirely different from further!
Original post by AGBF
Well i'm not doing 9-1 gcse.Im doing A*-C gcse and underoing A levels reforms(my school doesn't do AS )

Well, we shall see how your cohort comes out. You're guinea pigs. Any reports about the importance of GCSEs at the moment is pure speculation.
Graphic Design. :smile:

And I refute @AGBF's comment about art being shitty. :noway:

Slightly different but awesome for you. presumably youve found your passion and know what you want to do?

Watch limitless by any chance? They have an interesting use of Graphic design in making each show look different and its becomes intrinsic to the plot. Also a fun show, but juts pointing it out becayse its like an extra character.
Original post by AGBF
They didn't .

In that case all I can say is blame everyone who did. In all seriousness though, try to max out your GCSEs and POSSIBLY even resit some in year 12 if you can.

This reform sucks I know, but in the past many people got into good universities with like AAB-ABB in AS and were given AAA offers which they had in the end with some resits in the AS etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Short amount of time? Oi. That's over 6 years and higher education is entirely different from further!

you've done well. i'm not a hater. are you in your final year? and what do you hope to do for a job after you graduate??
My main question is thanks to the new reforms, if I get an E in biology can I argue that the grade is scrapped anyway as I'm carrying it on at A2 so there's a minute chance of me getting an A, but the chance is still there?? hm
Slightly different but awesome for you. presumably youve found your passion and know what you want to do?

Watch limitless by any chance? They have an interesting use of Graphic design in making each show look different and its becomes intrinsic to the plot. Also a fun show, but juts pointing it out becayse its like an extra character.

Different, but still gives the employability skills sought after. I've enjoyed my degree, which has been hard work but does use a different method of thinking than STEM subjects. :smile: I'm just waiting to hear from job applications but managed to do well so far!

I'll go and find out some more about that show. Graphic design is a portal to so much - I'm moving into the marketing and advertising industry. Manipulation. :colone:

Latest