The Student Room Group

Are MSc application decisions final?

Please, I just need some help whether there is any point trying to do something / whether there are cases where the decision has been changed or is this is really the end. If you are lazy but have an idea about the above , please just answer I need any kind of advice, no need to read my whole story.

If anyone wonders here is the story:
I have been rejected for MSc in Pure Mathematics at Imperial and when asked for feedback- I have been told that my background in mathematics was not as suitable as other candidates. Which would be totally legit reason if one considered what I have done in year 1 and two only.
Currently doing MORSE at Warwick and not straight maths and in year 3 there are no compulsory modules at all. The major mathematics I was missing I did in year three and I indicated in my personal statement what modules exactly I am doing this year.
I chose all my modules accordingly in year 3 to prepare myself for straight maths MSc which meant I only did not do 2 of all core modules if I were on straight maths course and those two honestly the least important ones... Of course on top of that I did lots of stats, probability theory and several third year maths modules.
I may be very wrong assuming I had good chances of receiving offer but it just feels that the selectors did not even bother reading my personal statement to see that I did more mathematics in total than people on straight maths would be required to do at Warwick. Could for instance providing an official letter from the department stating the modules I am signed up for change something?
Before Xmas went to Postgrad open day and the course director ( which changed a few months later) told me that I definitely should be getting an offer despite me doing MORSE etc etc..I got first in second year, only just but still- I understand that I am not guaranteed an offer and that my mark is not outstanding but I really had high hopes. If I was told that my CV is poor or the purpose of study is unclear- I would just shut up...
On top of that Imperial gave me the same ID that was used three years ago when I applied for undergraduate course and the new MSc course director is the same person who rejected me three years ago ( he was an undergraduate admissions tutor back then ) ... T_T
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
There was a story here of a MSc rejection being reversed a few months ago and I can't be absolutely certain but I am pretty sure it was also imperial.... It might have been better to get the relevant math stuff mentioned by your referees rather than your personal statement, but hindsight's not going to help. You've got nothing to lose by trying to ensure that they do actually have all the info they need - just be sure that the info is being sent to the right person.

Edit: actually I think it was Warwick, but I have a glitch that prevents me opening some links. Nevertheless, you have nothing to lose at this stage by "appealing".
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sj27
There was a story here of a MSc rejection being reversed a few months ago and I can't be absolutely certain but I am pretty sure it was also imperial.... It might have been better to get the relevant math stuff mentioned by your referees rather than your personal statement, but hindsight's not going to help. You've got nothing to lose by trying to ensure that they do actually have all the info they need - just be sure that the info is being sent to the right person.

Edit: actually I think it was Warwick, but I have a glitch that prevents me opening some links. Nevertheless, you have nothing to lose at this stage by "appealing".

I should have attached the official confirmation of my third year modules but did not- assuming that mentioning in the PS should be enough and they will ask for further confirmation if they need to- since they did not request anything like that in the first place.
So, would you suggest sending it to them and asking if there is any chance of re-evaluating my situation? The right person would be the MSc course director I assume?

edit*
Appealing -i.e. sending an official request or just an e-mail to course director asking kindly to re-assess my application?
I am quite confused what do I even need to do to appeal - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/registry/academic-governance/public/academic-policy/complaints-from-applicants/Procedure-for-dealing-with-complaints-by-applicants.pdf
Not sure where do I send the complaint, how to formulate it and such..
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not sure how you'd go about appealing but definitely try because it sounds like you may have a case. Let your referee talk about what you will have done but also mention it in your PS. I'm surprised you weren't asked to submit a transcript. Finally, keep your appeal professional and present the facts. Don't focus on particular people and most certainly don't mention that you think they're discriminating against you because you got rejected at undergrad level.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
I'm not sure how you'd go about appealing but definitely try because it sounds like you may have a case. Let your referee talk about what you will have done but also mention it in your PS. I'm surprised you weren't asked to submit a transcript. Finally, keep your appeal professional and present the facts. Don't focus on particular people and most certainly don't mention that you think they're discriminating against you because you got rejected at undergrad level.

I did submit a transcript which are the modules and corresponding marks for year one and two but it did not involve my modules selection for this year.
The references have been already submitted, so they can't do anything now.

I guess will try to appeal.. If anyone who's read this thread knows how should I go about it- I would be very grateful for some advice.
Original post by Yeswecann
I did submit a transcript which are the modules and corresponding marks for year one and two but it did not involve my modules selection for this year.

The referee bit is for if you try again next year.

Re: transcripts, it's very uni dependent. If I remember correctly my uni had all my module selections on my transcript soon after I picked them with pending in the results section so where I was applying could see what I'd picked.

Whether or not you can appeal admissions decisions and how is also very uni dependent so your first point of call should be the uni admissions team.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
The referee bit is for if you try again next year.

Re: transcripts, it's very uni dependent. If I remember correctly my uni had all my module selections on my transcript soon after I picked them with pending in the results section so where I was applying could see what I'd picked.

Whether or not you can appeal admissions decisions and how is also very uni dependent so your first point of call should be the uni admissions team.

Ahh, RIP next year haha. Don't think I'll be applying again but yeah- I should have included module selections even though they did not specify it >.<
Have you got offers from anywhere else?
Unis will not reverse rejection decisions unless there was something factual missing from your application - not just because you think their decision was wrong.

I think the bit you need to concentrate on is 'compared to other applicants'. It isnt necessarily that you lack the appropriate Maths background - but that other applicants were better in this area.

Yes, it disappointing to get turned away from your 'idea' postgrad - but if you want it badly enough, get a relevant job and apply again next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by stevey396
Have you got offers from anywhere else?

Yes, I have one from Warwick and still waiting for Oxford.

Original post by returnmigrant
Unis will not reverse rejection decisions unless there was something factual missing from your application - not just because you think their decision was wrong.

I think the bit you need to concentrate on is 'compared to other applicants'. It isnt necessarily that you lack the appropriate Maths background - but that other applicants were better in this area.

Yes, it disappointing to get turned away from your 'idea' postgrad - but if you want it badly enough, get a relevant job and apply again next year.

Perhaps you are right but I just feel that they rejected me by only judging me by year one and two transcripts and totally ignoring what I mentioned in my personal statement or requesting modules confirmation for year three if they had doubts that I will genuinely stick to them. I don't think they have taken into consideration what I have provided. A bit hard to believe that they "Occasionally admit students with a degree in a related subject such as Engineering or Physics." and yet my mathematics background was not good enough ,even compared to other candidates. Especially when the previous course director said I should almost certainly get an offer given my background which when I went to open day.
Okay- I know it is just my assumptions and I may totally be wrong but that's how I feel. Should just move on indeed...
Reply 10

I guess will try to appeal.. If anyone who's read this thread knows how should I go about it- I would be very grateful for some advice.

I'm not sure but given the stated reason for your objection and the fact your transcript doesn't show your current modules I'd certainly want to highlight that. Could you contact the admissions tutor, point out what you're currently studying and ask that if you were able to get some sort of official confirmation from your university of your current modules could your application be reconsidered?
Reply 11
Original post by Dowie
I'm not sure but given the stated reason for your objection and the fact your transcript doesn't show your current modules I'd certainly want to highlight that. Could you contact the admissions tutor, point out what you're currently studying and ask that if you were able to get some sort of official confirmation from your university of your current modules could your application be reconsidered?

I just got an official letter from the department which indicates what modules I am doing this year- I sent it to Oxford as I don't want to end up in the same situation.

Will probably try as there is nothing to lose, was just wondering if any such cases have been successful..
And shall I send it to the course director's personal email or to the only other e-mail mentioned -maths MSc general enquiries ? I reckon the course director is the admissions tutor as well..
Reply 12
I really don't know, there are probably better people who could advise - maybe a tutor/lecturer at your current uni. Personally I'd be tempted to send it to the general address (if that is where you made the initial inquiry into why you were rejected) and perhaps CC the course director too.
Reply 13
Original post by Dowie
I really don't know, there are probably better people who could advise - maybe a tutor/lecturer at your current uni. Personally I'd be tempted to send it to the general address (if that is where you made the initial inquiry into why you were rejected) and perhaps CC the course director too.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I have e-mailed my personal tutor asking his opinion on this matter. He seems to be on holidays T_T.
Original post by returnmigrant

I don't have anything specific to add as such, but just wanted to note (and perhaps ask returnmigrant their opinion) that it seems unlikely that they didn't seek out information about your third-year modules. I know you said they were not listed on your transcript, but in that case then admissions tutors would turn to personal statements and letters of reference to try find out, and you said you mentioned which third-year modules you were taking in your statement. Now, possibly since the modules were only discussed in the statement they didn't get a sense of the true level they were at, but usually third-year courses count for a LOT when assessing postgraduate applications, so you would think they would pay very close attention to anything that discusses your third-year classes.

It may just be, as returnmigrant has said, that they did read about your third-year modules but you just didn't compare as well as other applicants.

Contacting your tutor seems a sensible first option if you really wanted to appeal, and see what he says. I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who appealed an admissions decision, so I wouldn't know where to start beyond that.
There isnt a formal appeals process, and no University is obliged to reconsider any application once a decision is made.
Reply 16
Alright, thanks everyone for advice. I will see what my personal tutor suggests and probably will just e-mail them with the third year module choices confirmation just in case.

Quick Reply

Latest