The Student Room Group

His house is really messy, what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
x

Buy a vacuum :smile:
Ask him if he wants any help tidying up? :ahee:

Also

He burps in front of me and does the occasional fart

:giggle: Well at least he's comfortable with you! Pure romance right there. :giggle:
He saidid he would clean the place for me but didn't sound very keen. It seems that he is lazy when it comes to cleaning.

Tell you expect a grown up and if he's not up to the task you'll get someone else who is.
kinda hard if you've only just met... once you've known each other a while you could bring it up and ask him to keep it tidier when you go round but it might be quite rude to comment when you've only just met (I know you 'knew' each other online but it's not the same). My guess would be that he's unlikely to change things, most people would clean up if they were meeting a potential partner even if they were a total slob the rest of the time... he clearly doesn't care much about it... you should think about whether this is a deal breaker for you.
:cry2: :cry2:

:hugs:

Just be very clear that he needs to up his game.

No excuse for this slovenly behaviour.

:wink:
Maybe talk to him about why he's so messy. I like to keep things clean when I can.
Also he wanted sex the first time he saw you in person? If I were you I would probably stay away from this guy. Sounds a bit like trouble if ya ask me.
Something @MrsSheldonCooper would say.

Get it

*Ba Dum Tsss*
To someone who always keeps their house nice and clean, seeing his house will be a shock as it isn't to her standards, so we shouldn't blame the op she can't help it.

Went to an old boyfriends house whose cat had fleas, I saw one of them jump on the bed. He just swore and killed it saying he's sick of the damn cat. Still, the cat stayed in the room with us all night it slept on the bed. I tried to be as open minded as possible and didn't say anything, that would have freaked you out a bit! In the morning he wanted me to drive him to an antique fair as he collects stuff, At risk of sounding snobbish I jjoked that a flea market might be better.
Original post by jawsontheflooor
omg lol this is like that episode of friends where ross dates that woman whose apartment is so gross

Hahaha 😂😂 I saw that episode again the other day and I was reminded of my ex.

OP The first time I went over to my ex's house I had no idea where to look there was stuff everywhere. He was such a clean guy and I was really shocked by what I had seen. I found the way he lived really odd and I would ask him why there was socks randomly all over his floor (FYI they were clean socks). He picked up a sock and threw it on a pile of clothes in the hallway smh. The next time I went over it was a little better and it looked like he had made a little effort. I mentioned the whole thing to my mum and she said i shouldn't worry about it too much, it's his mess at the end of the day.

I wouldn't advise you to clean up any of it for him before the next thing you know you're his maid. Its one of those take it or leave it situations. Try and look past his living arrangements since it sounds like you like him enough. If you can't do this then let him be.
Original post by indigofox
To someone who always keeps their house nice and clean, seeing his house will be a shock as it isn't to her standards, so we shouldn't blame the op she can't help it.

Went to an old boyfriends house whose cat had fleas, I saw one of them jump on the bed. He just swore and killed it saying he's sick of the damn cat. Still, the cat stayed in the room with us all night it slept on the bed. I tried to be as open minded as possible and didn't say anything, that would have freaked you out a bit! In the morning he wanted me to drive him to an antique fair as he collects stuff, At risk of sounding snobbish I jjoked that a flea market might be better.

Loooool There was no way I was going to sleep with that cat on the bed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by whorace
Can't respect his property why would he respect his wife

Lol
Original post by phunky_fresh
Loooool There was no way I was going to sleep with that cat on the bed.

There was only 1 flea that I could see, if I saw any more (even though logic suggests there will have been!) I would have been out too. It's things like mosquito's I can't stand as they suck more of your blood and you end up with a big itchy spot. I won't sleep in the same room as one of those I get a glass and put them out the window (don't like killing).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Ask him if he wants any help tidying up? :ahee:

Also

:giggle: Well at least he's comfortable with you! Pure romance right there. :giggle:

I do worry a bit about him being fine with doing that in front of me. Makes me wonder if there are worse habits which will come out the more I see him.
Original post by phunky_fresh
Hahaha 😂😂 I saw that episode again the other day and I was reminded of my ex.

OP The first time I went over to my ex's house I had no idea where to look there was stuff everywhere. He was such a clean guy and I was really shocked by what I had seen. I found the way he lived really odd and I would ask him why there was socks randomly all over his floor (FYI they were clean socks). He picked up a sock and threw it on a pile of clothes in the hallway smh. The next time I went over it was a little better and it looked like he had made a little effort. I mentioned the whole thing to my mum and she said i shouldn't worry about it too much, it's his mess at the end of the day.

I wouldn't advise you to clean up any of it for him before the next thing you know you're his maid. Its one of those take it or leave it situations. Try and look past his living arrangements since it sounds like you like him enough. If you can't do this then let him be.

True, I can't be cleaning up after him like this. He's a few years older than me and should be mature enough to be able to look after his surroundings. Thanks, this made me feel a bit better for some reason :smile:
Original post by indigofox

Lol yeah I probably would have freaked out. Cats can be great but never when they have fleas :P

Thanks x
Original post by stefano865
:hugs:

Just be very clear that he needs to up his game.

No excuse for this slovenly behaviour.

:wink:

Yes, I want to be able to bring it up with him in a way that won't make him think that I'm trying to put him down and will get him to listen :smile:
Whenever anonymous comes up I always get PRSOM (luckily my memory is shot to bits)
Reply 37
I do know where your coming from I am a messy person and burp and fart but I am so embarrassed of myself I wouldn't dream of meeting anyone until a) I lose some weight b) get my manners sorted c) tidy my place and I don't blame you not even in the slightest what women want is a gentlemen why should they settle for second best? I hope he's not on TSR or I've got another enemy top ad to the list. :angry:
Reply 38
Yes, I want to be able to bring it up with him in a way that won't make him think that I'm trying to put him down and will get him to listen :smile:

Tidy up for him wear that maids outfit you've been saving for just the proper occasion.
Reply 39
Ask him to clean up his house like a grown man should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending